Why Aren't the Sony 7550 as popular as the EX1000?
Aug 23, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #47 of 52
Personally, while the 7550 is technically very impressive, the signature wasn't for me. I can't place my finger on it, but it sounded a little boring to me. I think the EX1000's brightness could be more engaging.

I don't wan to use the word "boring" for the 7550 but I think you got a point.
I find it to lay out the music in very good detail and texture in front of me, while my modded JVC FD02 is more emotionally engaging and pulls me into the music.
The EX800ST/7550 is marketed as a studio monitor IEM and it fits that role very well! I'm getting into video editing and the EX800/7550 is audio monitoring solution for the cutting process.

Aug 23, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #48 of 52
Agree, I find myself listing to it for music, and found it's tone very neutral, very... Forgiving, I can jank the Volume up as high as I can handle it, and come out non fatigued, they tuned and built this IEM so we'll for long term comfort.

But, I tried tuning it using EQ to better matcg EX1000 tuning and man I was surprised at how well it takes EQ. Actually the first IEM I owned I feel fine with EQ ing.

BTW, EX1000's like EQ is quite special in its own way

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:04 AM Post #50 of 52
I've had the MDR-7550 for a little over a year now and I'm still infatuated with them. My musical tastes pretty much run the gamut and their neutral signature is almost perfect. Bass is deep and tight, though somewhat lacking slam; mids are clear; highs are present and detailed but not fatiguing, which to me is important for portable use. I wish I'd gotten to try the magnesium build and brighter EX1000 signature, but they were already quite a bit more expensive and difficult to find than the 7550 a year ago and time has not made it easier.

I agree with the previous analysis that the flagship status of the EX1000 almost certainly contributed to their mystique, as it does to nearly all TOTL models. The higher-end build quality (metal instead of plastic) and slightly-livelier sound signature would also impart a sense of getting more for one's money. These days though it seems generally agreed upon that they were aurally more alike than different, just a matter of taste as to which would be preferable. While it now seems unlikely that I will get to try the EX1000 for myself, and as a discontinued product they continue to get more difficult and expensive to obtain, I'm not sure at this stage I'd want to know if I'd prefer the EX1000 over the 7550.

I'm just glad I've had the opportunity to appreciate the 7550 and hope to treasure them for many years to come.

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:03 AM Post #51 of 52
I've had the MDR-7550 for a little over a year now and I'm still infatuated with them. My musical tastes pretty much run the gamut and their neutral signature is almost perfect. Bass is deep and tight, though somewhat lacking slam; mids are clear; highs are present and detailed but not fatiguing, which to me is important for portable use. I wish I'd gotten to try the magnesium build and brighter EX1000 signature, but they were already quite a bit more expensive and difficult to find than the 7550 a year ago and time has not made it easier.

I agree with the previous analysis that the flagship status of the EX1000 almost certainly contributed to their mystique, as it does to nearly all TOTL models. The higher-end build quality (metal instead of plastic) and slightly-livelier sound signature would also impart a sense of getting more for one's money. These days though it seems generally agreed upon that they were aurally more alike than different, just a matter of taste as to which would be preferable. While it now seems unlikely that I will get to try the EX1000 for myself, and as a discontinued product they continue to get more difficult and expensive to obtain, I'm not sure at this stage I'd want to know if I'd prefer the EX1000 over the 7550.

I'm just glad I've had the opportunity to appreciate the 7550 and hope to treasure them for many years to come.

I've also had the EX800ST for a while but just recently changed the tips to Symbio W and that changed their signature quite a bit.
More detailed, more texture and resolution, but also a bit more critical in the treble.

But I also managed to buy a pair of EX1000 at a good price through a friend in Japan.
You can still find the used EX1000 there quite often and prices are reasonable compared to the rest of the world...
I'll get them in January, will report back.

Nov 21, 2019 at 2:52 AM Post #52 of 52
I've also had the EX800ST for a while but just recently changed the tips to Symbio W and that changed their signature quite a bit.
More detailed, more texture and resolution, but also a bit more critical in the treble.

Wasn't aware of these, but just ordered a set to try out. Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back