Why are brands like Beats and skullcandy so popular and widely regarded as the "best" headphones?
Jan 23, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #76 of 115
Hmm... I seem to have confused ambition with passion. Silly me. I tend to make them equivalents.

Quote:
I think I explained it pretty well.  Of course Dr Dre sounded very passionate about them, thats what happens when someone is given lots of money.  Money makes people more passionate than anything.  Sad but true. 

It really comes down to what your goals are.  Is your goal to make money, or is your goal to make a good product and hopefully make money off of it?  Usually when someone is very passionate about what they are creating, their number one goal is not money, their number one goal is to achieve some personal benchmark in the creation of something they are proud of.  They are not interested in money making schemes and manipulation through marketing, they are interested in whatever they are creating.  They are interested in their product. 

A company like Skullcandy doesn't care about headphones, they don't really even sell headphones.  They sell "cool" and they attach that to something through advertising.  It might as well be staplers, it would work just as well if people wore staplers. 

A company like Audeze is not selling anything but headphones.  At least for the most part, they are just selling a headphone.  They are not interested in public relations or marketing or manipulation.  They are not promising a lifestyle or coolness, they are just promising good sound.

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #77 of 115
So true. There's a difference between advertising and selling out, companies that are passionate and confident about their products would do advertising, as long as their products get noticed, they should sell well because they are 'quality' products. Selling out is when companies pay celebrities as spoke persons for bad products that won't even sell without that publicity, and a lot of their spoke persons don't even use those products themselves.

In my opinion, Dr. Dre is a 'sellout', I don't buy his claim about how his Beats Studio sounding like what you'd hear in a recoding studio, unless he has a hearing defect himself. But it's proven how well it's worked, the Beats series are so successful they even out-sell much better quality headphones that cost a fraction of their price.

I don't think selling out is bad, it's just a different way of marketing, and if one thinks the association of a certain celebrity with a product is worth all that extra cost, then I don't see anything wrong with that. 
wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I explained it pretty well.  Of course Dr Dre sounded very passionate about them, thats what happens when someone is given lots of money.  Money makes people more passionate than anything.  Sad but true. 

It really comes down to what your goals are.  Is your goal to make money, or is your goal to make a good product and hopefully make money off of it?  Usually when someone is very passionate about what they are creating, their number one goal is not money, their number one goal is to achieve some personal benchmark in the creation of something they are proud of.  They are not interested in money making schemes and manipulation through marketing, they are interested in whatever they are creating.  They are interested in their product. 

A company like Skullcandy doesn't care about headphones, they don't really even sell headphones.  They sell "cool" and they attach that to something through advertising.  It might as well be staplers, it would work just as well if people wore staplers. 

A company like Audeze is not selling anything but headphones.  At least for the most part, they are just selling a headphone.  They are not interested in public relations or marketing or manipulation.  They are not promising a lifestyle or coolness, they are just promising good sound.

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #78 of 115
Considering how many hip-hop albums I have in my collection were mastered, I'd believe Dr. Dre if he told me he used a pair of Beats to master his songs.  

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #79 of 115
Come on, if he really used his Beats to mix or master his records with, they would all sound very bass-lite. Besides, the Beats series weren't even around until a few years ago. 
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #80 of 115
Would you belive Philip Morris if they told you that cigarettes were good for your health?  Companies go to great lengths to attach fake meaning to their products inorder to sell them.  Cigarette companies created a "research institute" to "research" the effects of cigarette smoking on human health and conclude that they were fine.  Dr Dre is kind of the same thing for Monster. 

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #81 of 115

Quote:
Would you belive Philip Morris if they told you that cigarettes were good for your health?  Companies go to great lengths to attach fake meaning to their products inorder to sell them.  Cigarette companies created a "research institute" to "research" the effects of cigarette smoking on human health and conclude that they were fine.  Dr Dre is kind of the same thing for Monster. 

but there are warnings right on the cigarette box calling them hazards to your health and could cause cancer.  I dont see the equivalent on the boxes of some electronics with some serious problems :p

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #83 of 115
The cigarette companies have been sued hundreds if not thousands of time for lying or potentially causing harm to others, but nobody has sued a big name audio company for misleading advertisements heh

and certain headphones came out a long time after the warnings on cigarettes did so there are no excuses * pounds judge hammer 

:D

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #86 of 115
While cigarettes can kill or seriously damage one's health, the thing about Beats Solo is that with it's bass heavy and muddy sound signature, it's probably less likely to cause loss of hearing than headphones with details and clarity. 
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #87 of 115

Quote:
While cigarettes can kill or seriously damage one's health, the thing about Beats Solo is that with it's bass heavy and muddy sound signature, it's probably less likely to cause loss of hearing than headphones with details and clarity. 
biggrin.gif

Loss of sanity? Surely that's a health risk?

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #88 of 115
I honestly don't think they even pass as 'something to wear', they look horrible. They're little more than cheap plastic painted with garish colours and a tacky skull logo. The only people who should find them visually appealing are 13 year old emo kids.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #89 of 115

Quote:
I honestly don't think they even pass as 'something to wear', they look horrible. They're little more than cheap plastic painted with garish colours and a tacky skull logo. The only people who should find them visually appealing are 13 year old emo kids.

i used to like skullcandy before i found out they were utter garbage. i used to have the lowriders and i thought they had a very good sound to them. but then again at that time i was used to ibuds. i never really cared about how they looked all i know is all my friends said they were the best. so i tried them. they break way to easily. that's why i stopped buying them. so i sought out Sony. i was shocked that for $20 i got some Sony headphones that sounded just as good as the lowriders which cost me $40. also those Sony headphones lasted me a year until i gave them away. in fact its been 2 years and they still work. well my friend showed me they still worked. i was amazed. while the lowriders would last me 1 month or 2 before they would either snap. or stop working in one ear. as an upgrade from the Sony's i bought a higher end sony. i went from the v150s to the xd200s. and i thought they sounded really good. but from that i figured my next upgrade would be to skullcandy as i still remembered they sounded good. but back then i thought they did and i hadnt learned better yet. i bought the skullcandy g.i. headphones and was hugely dissapointed. for 80$ they were worse then my $30 Sony xd200 headphones. i returned them 2 days later and went with the pioneer se m390 headphones. now those were the same price as the skullcandies but they sounded amazing for the price. those headphones made me to start to respect hi end audio and i wanted more. the point i am trying to make is that not everyone buys skullcandy for their looks. i do think they look cool but they are uncomfortable and they sound like garbage. but i do think if you can persuade some of them to something else maybe you can get them into better audio. i was once a sheep but now i am very opposite of that. some peopel are very persuaded by peer pressure and the media into thinking certain headphones or items are better then everything else. nothing can control the media from saying there product is the best and lying about it. we need to lead these people into doing more research on headphones so they have a better understanding of these sort of things. i have no problem with people buying them. but when they lie and say they are the best i feel sorry for them. they were lied to. but i have noticed most people wearing skullcandy headphones are not 13 year old emo's they are the average gullible teenager. we must except the fact most teenagers are gullible fools. even a lot of collage students are not as smart as they think they are economically and product wise. and i don't think it would be easier for us to change that.
anyways that is my analogy.
beyersmile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back