Why are brands like Beats and skullcandy so popular and widely regarded as the "best" headphones?
Jan 16, 2011 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 115

junebug654

Head-Fier
I've tried several skullcandy phones, from friends and a display or two.  All I have to say is they feel like something to wear, rather than to listen.  The freq. response on them feels like 100-1000.  Yet, everyone at my college wears them, or unusally shares them with one earbud per person.  How did they become popular, and why are there people hellbent on buying them and claiming they are the best.   Same goes with beats, however I will admit Beats headphones do sound good, not great, but good.  However the fact that the "good" Beats cost 400+ completely eliminates them.  And it's weird how everyone owns a Beats phone that cost a couple hundred dollars when they coulda bought headphones just as, or even better for less than $150.  The Senn HD 555s come to mind with regards to that price range.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 115
Welcome to audiophilia, where the only safe place is here.

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #3 of 115
Well, why do so many people buy Swiss watches that cost thousands of dollars that don't tell time as accurate as a $20 digital watch? You tell me. 
wink.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 115
For most people the price range of the beats and skullcandy are expensive. To some expensive equals sounding good. Others think that bass equals good headphones. Fashion is a factor.

Most of the time well known brands aren't the best eg Rolex, Tag Heuer, Bose, Monster, Skullcandy, Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Apple

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 115
Style and lack of substance. Welcome to everything teenagers and college students think is "the best." Couple that with the general lack of sophistication (in the true sense of the word, not the elitist one) of the average consumer in most things, viral marketing, and celebrity endorsement, and you've got a product that everybody believes is "the best" because they were told so, and yet which few can objectively evaluate to be otherwise.

Welcome to Head-Fi, one of the few places that knows the truth. It sounds to me like you'll be very happy here.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #7 of 115
Normally I don't care about other peoples headphones because it's there business, but a weeks ago in my class someone was using a pair of those red Beats, I don't know the name of them, and don't bother to know them.  Anyway, I was listening to my (at the time) HD 212 headphones and he was bagging on me for that.  The best satisfaction I got outa him was telling him to try my headphones for 5 minutes.  He did so, reluctantly, and barely a minute into listening to his music he apoligzed to me for insulting my headphones.

Even brands like Bose are getting undeserved credit for being "premier" headphones.  The only credit I give for bose is that there companion 5   2.1 speaker system is amazing, but on the side of phones, they lack a lot.  To me Bose is a good brand because I love the bass and mid/highs that there speaker system can produce, but only that.  Beats, is just a decent pair of headphones that are marked up at least 300%, and skullcandy doesn't deserve to be anywere near the human ear.  But hey, thats just me lol

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 115

Quote:
Style and lack of substance. Welcome to everything teenagers and college students think is "the best." Couple that with the general lack of sophistication (in the true sense of the word, not the elitist one) of the average consumer in most things, viral marketing, and celebrity endorsement, and you've got a product that everybody believes is "the best" because they were told so, and yet which few can objectively evaluate to be otherwise.

Welcome to Head-Fi, one of the few places that knows the truth. It sounds to me like you'll be very happy here.

I actually found this forum on accident a few days ago, and I'm extremely glad I did.  I've listened to music my whole life, but I always had trouble finding solid adivce on what is the best equipment through using them.  The only headphones I've ever had major respect for was, and always will be the Sennheisers.  Sony earbuds come in a close second for the amazing sound they offer at their price range.  $30 earbuds that could sound like they could be $200 or more.

Besides I'm a college student also, and technically still a teenager lol so at least I don't follow the heard.  Just because someone famous endorses something doesn't make it good in my book.  Obama can endorse a special edition Xbox 360, don't mean I'll buy into it.

Jan 16, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 115
Also take into consideration almost none of the popular brands on Head-Fi are known outside of Head-Fi. Ask just about any music enthusiast and more than likely they will tell you they have not heard of any of our choice brands. On top of that very few are sold in local stores so research must be done and the purchase is more or less made in blind faith until the headphone arrives.

Just think about how much you've learned since you came here and how many people care enough to look beyond their local electronics store.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #10 of 115
They are the best because that's how they are marketed. Business is telling the kids how to be cool at a price the business can gain the most profit in that demographic. We are crazy enough to pay for pro gear but not everyone is.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #11 of 115

Quote:
Well, why do so many people buy Swiss watches that cost thousands of dollars that don't tell time as accurate as a $20 digital watch? You tell me. 
wink.gif

Haha well I was going to make a similar post from a differenct angle, many people tout Rolex and Tag to be the best watches but people who actually know watches would be able to rattle off 10 brands that use better movements and quality in general. This happens with every indusrty there are so called premium products for the masses and then there are premium products for the professionals and enthusiasts. 

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #12 of 115

Quote:
Quote:
wink.gif

Haha well I was going to make a similar post from a differenct angle, many people tout Rolex and Tag to be the best watches but people who actually know watches would be able to rattle off 10 brands that use better movements and quality in general. This happens with every indusrty there are so called premium products for the masses and then there are premium products for the professionals and enthusiasts. 

I'm with you on Tag, but as much as Rolex is overhyped by most, they've done their share of innovation. And something about a digital watch is unsatisfying compared to an automatic.

And yeah, as everyone else has said, people are easily fooled. We teens will usually believe anything that's spoon fed to us because, honestly, we don't know any better and since everyone else has them, it's easier to be accepted than ridiculed for being "different."

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #14 of 115
Marketing, marketing, marketing. Most people don't think beyond what the manufacturer tells them Beats are the best because Monster says so. Skullcandy is the best because the Skullcandy marketing department advertises they are. After all, they wouldn't lie, would they? Their target audience are sheep when it comes to buying stuff. Tell them it's the best and they believe it. There should be some kind of class in High School about "getting the most for your hard earned money".Believing advertising rolls over to a lot of things. Look at all the 4 wheel drive soccer Mom driven SUVs on the road. The only time 99.99% of those behemoths see "off the road" is when Mom cuts the corner backing out of the driveway and drives across the lawn. They don't need a 4 wheel drive SUV but Ford & Chevy said they did. (this is me stepping off my soap box).

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #15 of 115

Quote:
For me, having a watch is redundant since phones tell time. Also don't like having some kind of bulk on my wrist when I can just reach into my pocket.

OT but I have found this development pretty amusing. A couple hundred years ago people used pocket watches. Then miniaturization allowed you to put it on your wrist. And now we are back to using pocket watches again. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back