Why are brands like Beats and skullcandy so popular and widely regarded as the "best" headphones?
Jan 19, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #32 of 115
College kids are dumb, smart enough to get into college, but still dumb. :p

There are bose and skullcandy headphones all over my college. I have seen some cheap Senns tho. at least.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #33 of 115
I actually for the first time in my life listening to a pair of Skullcandy Skullcrushers with there so-called "subwoofer" attachment.  It was on this rack and had the ability to plug your DAP into it.  Well I tried it and I started lol'ing because as I listened to them I noticed the price tag was $49.95 and it on sale.....  I walked away wearing my HD 598s into the sunset.

Jan 19, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #34 of 115
Also, I think I might get flammed for this, but I do like Bose.  There head and earphones are OK at best, but there computer speaker system the Companion 5 is actually a pretty solid set.  Of couse I might just be saying that because they cost $360, and I managed to grab a new set for $195.  They're like a year old, but if I'm not using my cans, I'm using those bad boys.  There not the best of course, but they are pretty decent, if you can get it for a solid price however.

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #36 of 115

Quote:
I would rather listen to Skullcrushers playing Yanni's worst track on repeat for a thousand years than ever have to sit through another one of Will Ferrel's movies. 

Steve Carrell is also bloody annoying and severely overrated. Same-same Bose - name a Bose product and chances are very good that you can find the equivalent for 30-50% less elsewhere - it just wont have the nametag. Again, they have very slick marketing, and they know how to push product to aspirational people with disposable income. In business terms, that makes sense - just ask Apple Corp.

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #37 of 115

Quote:
Also, I think I might get flammed for this, but I do like Bose.  There head and earphones are OK at best, but there computer speaker system the Companion 5 is actually a pretty solid set.  Of couse I might just be saying that because they cost $360, and I managed to grab a new set for $195.  They're like a year old, but if I'm not using my cans, I'm using those bad boys.  There not the best of course, but they are pretty decent, if you can get it for a solid price however.

I think if the Bose AE headphones were about 50-60% less than they are now, and weren't marketed as the best, I'd buy a pair. I like how they sound... they're fun to listen to, just overpriced.

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #38 of 115

Quote:
Quote:

I think if the Bose AE headphones were about 50-60% less than they are now, and weren't marketed as the best, I'd buy a pair. I like how they sound... they're fun to listen to, just overpriced.

how many companies don't market their product as THE BEST?

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #39 of 115

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I know right, its pretty silly to see most companies label everything from their $5 earbuds to their $5000 cans as "professional" or "the best" or "audiophile grade"

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #40 of 115
I get the biggest kick of reading your posts. I also tend to agree with them most of the time, including this one.

Quote:
I would rather listen to Skullcrushers playing Yanni's worst track on repeat for a thousand years than ever have to sit through another one of Will Ferrel's movies. 

As to the topic, I can't say much more than what has already been touched on. Marketing is the key, but in only works because of the general lack of sophistication/savvy of the masses. There's only so much places like Head-Fi can do, really--people are sheep and what do what they're told and what the other sheep are doing.

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #41 of 115

Quote:
I get the biggest kick of reading your posts. I also tend to agree with them most of the time, including this one.

Thanks! 
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #42 of 115
Why do real headphone companies suck so bad at marketing? I think that's the real question here. It truly doesn't take a genius to be a good marketer.

Quote:
As to the topic, I can't say much more than what has already been touched on. Marketing is the key, but in only works because of the general lack of sophistication/savvy of the masses. There's only so much places like Head-Fi can do, really--people are sheep and what do what they're told and what the other sheep are doing.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #43 of 115

You might be surprised. Are you familiar with any of the following names ?

Sanyo
TEAC
AWA
Aiwa
JVC
Sherwood.

They all sell electronics and they all make money. In some cases, their 'bargain basement' tactics have pushed far better competitors (in product terms) into receivership. Other companies like Phillips are capable of building superb televisions but are equally happy to have their brand on some truly dreadful consumer electronics. TEAC pioneered a host of 'firsts' in audio, but seem to have the same 'free and easy' approach to their brand. Even high end brand names like Luxman have been sullied under corporate ownership, and I believe that AKG is suffering from the inspired leadership at Harmon Clown Corp. 3 years to give us the Quincy Jones edition of the K701 - way to go, Vice-President Bonzo.

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #44 of 115
Quote:

Schitt Audio, believe me or not, they clearly market their products as being pure Schitt.
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #45 of 115

Quote:

You might be surprised. Are you familiar with any of the following names ?

Sanyo
TEAC
AWA
Aiwa
JVC
Sherwood.

They all sell electronics and they all make money. In some cases, their 'bargain basement' tactics have pushed far better competitors (in product terms) into receivership. Other companies like Phillips are capable of building superb televisions but are equally happy to have their brand on some truly dreadful consumer electronics. TEAC pioneered a host of 'firsts' in audio, but seem to have the same 'free and easy' approach to their brand. Even high end brand names like Luxman have been sullied under corporate ownership, and I believe that AKG is suffering from the inspired leadership at Harmon Clown Corp. 3 years to give us the Quincy Jones edition of the K701 - way to go, Vice-President Bonzo.

Waaaait... so harmon kardon isn't any good? Awww... I always thought my dad's home theatre system was the shizzle...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back