Whos your favorite Actor/Actress and why?
Jul 23, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #31 of 87
Quote:

Where's the repetition between Godfather and Scent of a Woman?

One movie is nearly 35 years old and the other is 13 ... and I did say, "have become". Besides, playing a Bronx Italian is not much of a stretch for Al Pacino. How many other Italian bad boys has he played? Has he ever acted with an Irish or English, or any other accent? Has he ever taken on a biographical roll where he tranforms himself into an actual historical figure? Have you ever seen him in a movie where it took you a while to realize "Hey, that's Al Pacino!" ? Whether he's a mobster, a cop, the devil, or a blind naval officer, to me he always looks and sounds like Al Pacino. I'm not saying he's not a good actor by the way ... just that I think actors with more scope and range are better actors. Yes, he's won Academy Awards. But winning acadamy awards has as much to do with the actual part and the movie as it does with the acting. Ever notice how the better written/filmed/produced movies seem to generate a lot of actor nominations? Without the right part and the right script, even the best actors can come across like duds.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #32 of 87
Favorite:Samuel L Jackson-cracks me up
Runner up: Vin Diesel-

I would choose to be a mix of Vin Diesel, Sean Connery, looks wise and Jeff Goldblum/Chris Eigeman personality-wise

There are tons of hot chicks, but there is not one actress that one actress that would entice me to watch a movie based on her acting abilities or screen presence, though I told my wife I might sneak out the see Dukes of Hazzard just to get an eyefull of Jessica Simpson....not for the story, her acting, but for the hotness. I would never watch her in a serious role for obvious reasons

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #33 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Has he ever acted with an Irish or English, or any other accent?

Scarface.

Quote:

Has he ever taken on a biographical roll where he tranforms himself into an actual historical figure?

Maybe not a "historical figure, but true life in Dog Day Afternoon

Two very different characters that he played very well.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #34 of 87
Anthony Hopkins / Emma Thompson

The Remains of the Day is probably the best overall movie ever made. It has been bettered by all manner of movies in various areas, but, for an overall package, it is the best.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #35 of 87
Old school
Richard Harris - his recent (well, in 2000) role as Marcus Aurelius in 'Gladiator' blew me away. He still had 'it'.

New school
Joaquin Phoenix - his role as Commodus in the same 'Gladiator' was awesome, although his recent stuff is not so great. He's been hanging out with Mel Gibson too much, Hope he gets past it.
Robert Downey Jr - great talent, imo. Although he suffers from the 'Mel' syndrom of late too. Is it contagious?
Terrence Howard - I just saw 'Hustle & Flow' (great movie all around, btw!), and if this is any indication of what he can do, watch out Hollywood. I smell an Oscar for this performance.

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #36 of 87
Quote:

Scarface.

My apologies. Yes he did manage to pull off a Puerto Rican bad boy.

I can't quite remember Dog Day Afternoon, but wasn't he another bad boy in that one? "True life" isn't the same as transforming into a believable Nixon, Malcom X, Ed Wood, Buddy Holly, etc. Perhaps Pacino can do the "Teflon Don" if they make a movie about him.

Jul 23, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #38 of 87
just some favorites, b/c i like them, regardless of the merits of the entirety their movies.

Actors:
Mifune Toshiro
Bill Murray
Ed Norton

Actresses:
Cate Blanchette
(i'll think of more)

Jul 23, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #39 of 87
I was all set to say "Anthony Hopkins, hands down." Until Bill Murray was brought up. I adore them both, and as long as i'm compromising my entry, i've got to add Spacey and Blanchett onto the list as well.

I'm such a sell out.

Top films featuring:
Titus - A.Hopkins
Coffee and Cigarettes - C.Blanchett
The Life Aquatic - B.Murray
American Beauty - K.Spacey

I love great acting. And re: Walken, the fact that he's so much himself in all his roles cracks me up. True it prevents me from taking any of his acting seriously, but, c'mon:

"Rita, what are you, and angel, sent from above? I love pasta Fagole!
Pasta-Fagole.jpg

Jul 23, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #41 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
My apologies. Yes he did manage to pull off a Puerto Rican bad boy.

Cuban....

Jul 23, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #42 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by seeberg
Dudes, we all know Vin Diesel is like the best actor ever. I mean, Daddy Day Care, Fast and the Furious, xXx? OMG, It's a film with Vin Diesel! Unexplainably awesome!
wink.gif

j/k
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Gawd, I sure hope no one takes that literallly- personally, I have no favorite actor and that's fine with me- I like certain traits of most actors, actually.
5000smile.gif
Abe

I have to say though, Vin has a lot of charisma... I'd have put him on my list, but he's just been picking some lame parts lately.

I really liked him in Pitch Black and Boiler Room though...

Speaking of Boiler Room, Giovanni Ribisi is a pretty good actor and he doesn't nearly enough roles. I guess he's just not "pretty" enough...

Someone else mentioned Kate Beckinsale, she's hot and I've liked her in a couple of her roles, but she doesn't have enough charisma imo.

Jul 24, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #43 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
just some favorites, b/c i like them, regardless of the merits of the entirety their movies.

Actors:
Mifune Toshiro

Have to agree with you on this one. Amazing presence in every movie.

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #44 of 87
Natalie Portman - not in the Star Wars movies where she's all dolled up, and definitely not in Closer, but in Garden State (the best movie of all time), where she's plain and cute and delivers an excellent performance.

Dunno about actors, but the aforementioned Tom Hanks (for his great eyes and facial expressions) and Sean Connery (for more facial expressions, and the fact that imitating him never gets less funny) should be rementioned.

Jul 24, 2005 at 1:37 AM Post #45 of 87
Everyone's nominations are right, of course.
biggrin.gif

My personal favorite is Peter Sellers. Because he could get as weird as you needed, in any role, with any dialect, in any plane of reality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back