Whos your favorite Actor/Actress and why?
Jul 24, 2005 at 2:10 AM Post #46 of 87
Actresses:
Acting-wise:
Charlize Theron
Kate Winslet
Naomi Watts
Natalie Portman
Renee Zellweger

Beauty-wise:
Grace Kelly
Elizabeth Taylor
Rita Hayworth
Charlize Theron
Nicole Kidman
Natalie Portman
Liv Tyler
Jennifer Connely
Naomi Watts
Catherine Zeta Jones
Sophie Marceau
Kate Beckinsale
Milla Jovovich
Actors:
Jack Nicholson
Clint Eastwood
Robert de Niro
Al Pacino
Sean Penn
Gary Oldman
Benicio del Toro
Toshiro Mifune (drunk samurai in 7 Samurai)
Daoming Chen (King in Hero)
Liam Neeson
Jean Reno
Tom Hanks
Mel Gibson
Michael Douglas
Bruce Willis
Chris Tucker
Peter O'tool
Charlton Heston

Jul 24, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #47 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by GanChan
Everyone's nominations are right, of course.
biggrin.gif

My personal favorite is Peter Sellers. Because he could get as weird as you needed, in any role, with any dialect, in any plane of reality.

Dr. Strangelove
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 24, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #48 of 87
Tom Hanks gets my number 1 vote - but then I don't watch enough movies to know non "big-name" actors/actresses who might have execellent acting skills.

Many decent actors and actresses - the hollywood ones at least - can play a particular type of role well, but IMO a truly brilliant actor/actress should be able play many roles convincingly.

I was very impressed with Hanks' ability to play a mildly dumb optimistic person (Forest Gump), a calculative hired gunman (Road to Perdition), a disillusioned soldier (Saving Private Ryan), etc. In all his movies, I really get to see the character and not "Tom Hanks acting as [blank]."

As for other "great" actors I vote: Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Ian McKellen.

Jul 24, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #49 of 87
Quote:

Tom Hanks gets my number 1 vote

When I first noticed him years ago starring in that sitcom with the guy from Bob Newhart, I never would have imagined him becoming a great actor. But look at the range of stuff he's done. From goofy man-boy in Big, to tough-guy guard in Green Mile, to gay aids victim, to Forrest Gump. Anybody who can entertain alone for two hours on a deserted island with a soccer ball as a co-star, is a very good actor IMO.

Jul 24, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #51 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
Someone else mentioned Kate Beckinsale, she's hot and I've liked her in a couple of her roles, but she doesn't have enough charisma imo.

Twas I, and I agree with you. Technically, not the best actress around, and so far, fairly limited in range, but, this is personal favorites, and so, we all know why she's tops in my book
wink.gif
. If I were to list on acting ability, Kathy Bates would probably make my list, and that would make me very sad...

Jul 24, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #52 of 87
If I were to narrow it down to two, I would choose Julianne Moore and Clint Eastwood. Julianne Moore because of her willingness to play all kinds of roles (from Boogie Nights to Far From Heaven, and still manages to pull off menial roles like in Laws of Attraction and The Forgotten). Clint Eastwood because of his love for the traditional narratives, and the fact that he has to deal with thinking in two ways: being both an actor and director, and doing both at the same time. That's very difficult to do, and he manages to pull both off nicely (though, Blood Work and some others could have been more thoughtful).

Jul 24, 2005 at 8:33 AM Post #53 of 87
Classic movies: Deborah Kerr. Beauty, grace and poise, but she seldom had directors willing to let her reveal her passionate side. Robert Mitchum, for his wide range.

Modern actors: Linda Fiorentino, proof good looks and great acting can go together, and Ed Harris, a terrific actor but not given the exposure he deserves.

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #54 of 87
Many of the greats and my favs have already been mentioned so I will just second the vote for:

Johnny Depp - While I really don't care for him off camera...at all; he is so different in every roll he plays one can't help but be impressed with his chameleon like acting abilities.

Pirates & Fear and Loathing were probably two of my favorites
icon10.gif

I'm also a big fan of:
Mel Gibson
Harrison Ford
Edward Norton
Hugh Jackman
Morgan Freeman
Bruce Willis
Ewan McGregor
Vince Vaughn

to name a few...

Jul 25, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #55 of 87
Sigourney Weaver, she's nearly perfect to perfect in every role she's done. (except in Living Dangerously, with a horrible British accent and she was outshone by Linda Hunt).

I like Judi Dench too. Theres something charming about her.

Jul 25, 2005 at 3:41 AM Post #56 of 87
Oh you guys definitely are on to something here. I missed

Christopher Walken is awesome. Ill watch any movie he is in.

Gene Wilder is great too. I love Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenshteen, and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

Peter Sellers was hilarious in the Pink Panther movies and Dr. Strangelove.

I also like Charles Bronson for The Dirty Dozen, Death Wish (1,2,and 3) and The Magnificent Seven.

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:19 PM Post #59 of 87
I could care less about the overpaid talking heads on the screen, the director and all the creatives behind the movie are more important to me.

Of course, some of those overpaid, talking heads are sure purdy to look at.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #60 of 87
My fave - Dexter Gordon in "Round Midnight" - seriously, did he know he was supposed to be "acting?" I don't think so, because it looked like he was living the role! Sometimes the best actors are the folks that aren't trained actors - I bet Dexter just thought "I'm going to channel Lester Young here" and he was off to the races.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back