Whos your favorite Actor/Actress and why?
Jul 23, 2005 at 7:15 AM Post #16 of 87
Keanu Reeves
Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes ........I'm kidding!

Tinsel Town:
Anthony Hopkins
Sean Connery
Ed Harris
Clint Eastwood
Brad Pitt

Martial Artist Actors:
Jackie Chan
Jet Li
Donnie Yen
Bruce Lee

Jul 23, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #17 of 87
William DuFoe
Lawrence Fishburn (fave)
Chow yun Fat
Sean Connery
Harrison ford
Morgan Freeman
Toby McGwire
Ben Stiller

Julia Styles
Jodie Foster
Audrey Hepburn (fave)

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #18 of 87
Usually I'm more interested in the director, but a few actors jump to mind:

Women:
Veronica Lake - the coolest actress ever.
Grace Kelly - the most beautiful actress ever.
Rita Hayworth - another great beauty, somewhat versatile actress.
Katherine Hepburn - a truly great actress.
Audrey Hepburn - the cutest actress ever.
modern - Julie Delpy (beautiful and smart), Renee Zellweger (always surprises me, I guess she is just very good), Judy Davis (interesting, versatile actress), Hilary Swank (to be determined...so far seems to have potential)

Men:
Jimmy Stewart - great whether doing comedy, drama, or westerns.
Charlie Chaplin - the funiest actor ever (and a great cinematic inventor/director)
Cary Grant - another great at straight-faced comedy and drama.
Woody Allen - acting, writing, and directing genius.
modern - Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, John Cusack (another straight-faced comedian...love that stuff), Bill Murray (and another)

Comments:
Brando should be remembered for On the Waterfront, not Godfather.

Modern actresses are really lacking compared to those from the past (in looks, talent, and general charisma), which is very sad.

Jul 23, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #19 of 87
Dudes, we all know Vin Diesel is like the best actor ever. I mean, Daddy Day Care, Fast and the Furious, xXx? OMG, It's a film with Vin Diesel! Unexplainably awesome!
wink.gif

j/k
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
tongue.gif

Gawd, I sure hope no one takes that literallly- personally, I have no favorite actor and that's fine with me- I like certain traits of most actors, actually.
5000smile.gif
Abe

Jul 23, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #20 of 87
Steve McQueen
Chow Yun-fat (his comedies are insane!
icon10.gif
)
Harrison Ford
James Garner
John Ritter ("Hero At Large" is highly underrated)
John Cusack

Audrey Hepburn ("Roman Holiday", anyone?)
Drew Berrymore

Jul 23, 2005 at 10:18 AM Post #23 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
Quote:

Originally Posted by usagi
Brad Pitt

pukey.gif

Heeeeey, wait a minute, now. He has sold me on some good roles. I look at it very simple. "Does the actor pull me into the story and entertain at the same time?" I don't use an outdated system or method used by the Oscars.
tongue.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #26 of 87
Kate Blanchett has been impressing me a lot lately. I like actors/actresses who can change their look, accents, mannerisms etc., and she's definitely one of them. To me, that's truly acting.

Hollywood has too many actors who are one dimensional and are always just being themselves no matter what character they are playing ... Christopher Walken comes to mind as an prime example .... who's performances could be swapped from part to part, movie to movie, without anyone noticing. IMO, even the recognized greats like Pacino and DeNiro have become predictable and repetitive in their on-screen mannerisms. I think once they become big stars, they get complacent.

Watch any Walken performance and you'll see him pause and briefly look away from the camera for effect during his serious lines ....every single time. I think it was Family Guy where someone made a comment about Christopher Walken "acting like he's acting", which really cracked me up. I will admit he does make an excellent SNL host however.

Jul 23, 2005 at 3:00 PM Post #27 of 87
Richard Burton - When Sober
Michael Caine - When younger
Christopher Walken - When he plays it straight
Alec Guinness
Kevin Spacey
Alan Rickman - when he does not take himself too seriously
John Cusack
Jimmy Stewart - if only for Harvey and The Philadelphia Story
Martin Sheen - very underrated - didnt get many good parts

Katherine Hepburn
Bette Davis
Jennifer Jason Leigh

All of the above are/were actors i.e able to convince you that they were somebody else

Jul 23, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #28 of 87
Been some good ones named but Bill Murray, def one of the best. Nicholas Cage doesn’t get enough for the roles he does, Raising Arizona, Face-Off, and Matchstick Men just to clarify.
Steve Buscemi is another good one.

Jul 23, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #29 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
IMO, even the recognized greats like Pacino and DeNiro have become predictable and repetitive in their on-screen mannerisms. I think once they become big stars, they get complacent.

Where's the repetition between Godfather and Scent of a Woman?
confused.gif

Jul 23, 2005 at 8:30 PM Post #30 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Hollywood has too many actors who are one dimensional and are always just being themselves no matter what character they are playing ...

That is true. Sean Penn comes to mind. Although he is an excellent actor, he plays the same smoldering with anger character in almost every movie he's in, I Am Sam being the exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back