Who should pick up the tab on a date?
Nov 3, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #61 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope. Our first conversation consisted of her "asking if I like girls with big T and A", asking me if I think she'd make a good wife, [size=xx-small]and chatting while she was obviously "on the john".[/size] I eventually stopped picking up the phone, even though she'd call numerous times a day.

WHAT???? When you say she was 'obviously' on the toilet - you mean there were sound effects? This is too gross, I have to go to bed now and erase this gruesome image from my mind.

Seriously, she was going to the toilet while she was speaking to you? Here's a tip - don't ever ask her out. If she's comfortable enough to chat while she's on the toilet (to a guy she's never even met before) - I dread to think what she might do on the dinner table
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #62 of 118
Quote:

None taken. The line just sorta confused me... why would a girl be afraid of thunder thighs? Do I have thunder thighs? Does she?!

So many questions, yet few answers.

to be honest I didn't think that far into the joke. perhaps you have thunder thighs and she fears you. or perhaps it was a dinner date and she realized eating out would add to her thunder thighs. maybe (however unlikely) she has a phobia of large thighs and it is so severe she cannot go out in public.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As an example, a long time ago - a guy asked me out to dinner. When the bill/check came through, he got a calculator out and divided the amount by exactly what we each had eaten??

There were no subsequent dates. . .

If a non-romantic male friend asked me out, I'd always split the cost, no question. But I can't deny it's nice when a guy pays on the first date. Mind you, I don't take that as licence to eat 17 lobsters washed down with a few bottles of champagne. I'm quite careful to choose 'mid-priced' food on a first date. Anything more is just taking advantage.

haha thats hilarious. The clincher would be if he added the tip onto your portion of the bill.

Another lose-lose situation is if you're a teenager taking a girl out and it comes time to tip. Obviously the girl is making a mental note of how much you tip and judging you accordingly. The conflict is that as a underpaid student, you are making the same or less wage than the waiter/waitress. Leave a nice tip and you're practically leaving the fruits of a few hours of your own hard work for the waiters service, leave a measly tip and you are labelled as a cheapskate by your date.

I've had an ex comment about how my 10% tip might be a bit low, and I said listen here missy, this is the fourth time I've taken you out to dinner this week. I don't know how your warped sense of perception works, but assumption that you should leave a good tip also relies heavily on whether you can actually afford to or not. As a student working a part time job, I'm not exactly in the market for a new yacht this year.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #63 of 118
I didn't read any of the posts in this thread. Mainly because I'm drunk and cba. However if I were out for dinner with a lady, then I would insist on picking up the bill irrespective of which of us had instigated the event. Women may want equal treatment in todays society, however I do not intend to give it to them. I'll still pick up the bill and I'll still hold a door. Chivalrous behaviour is the only form of positive discrimination that I have ANY tolerance for.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #64 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't read any of the posts in this thread. Mainly because I'm drunk and cba. However if I were out for dinner with a lady, then I would insist on picking up the bill irrespective of which of us had instigated the event. Women may want equal treatment in todays society, however I do not intend to give it to them. [size=xx-small]I'll still pick up the bill and I'll still hold a door.[/size] Chivalrous behaviour is the only form of positive discrimination that I have ANY tolerance for.

How soon can you move to England??
biggrin.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #65 of 118
Quote:

No you're not screwed. If that was the case, every first date would end badly in your opinion. Either you get upset because she gets upset/defensive - or you think she'll think you're expecting something if you pay.

Well, those days are long gone - most women do NOT believe they owe a guy anything if he pays for the first date. First dates don't have to be complicated unless you make them that way. You seem to be pre-judging her reaction???

The answer's simple - if you offer to pay, and she offers to split it - you have the option of deciding what to do, it doesn't have to be any more complicated than that! You can't second-guess how she's going to 'feel' about it.

As for women wanting equality, does this mean it's OK for a guy to walk through a door first and let it slam in her face because she's 'equal' and doesn't merit being shown any manners? There's a difference between equality and simple courtesy.

Likewise, a nice gesture towards a woman doesn't mean she doesn't want to be equal - she just wants to be treated (occasionally) like a woman. There's nothing wrong with that. If I make my b/f his favourite meal for a special occasion - does it mean I'm not equal to him, or am I just doing something that I know he'll like??? There's not always a hidden agenda.

Bah, that's bunk. Many women do it nowadays out of courtesy of asking, but they really want the guy to pay the tab. Reminds of that part on Seinfeld where George didn't even reach for wallet when it was time to pay the bill with his date who offered to pay on the 1st date cause he had no job and she was making crazy good money. Same applies here, it's courtesy to ask(or reach for the wallet), even if you don't really want to.

Face it, all women like being pampered. Any guy willing to do so is taken advantage of, no matter how minor. Hence the saying : Nice guys finish last.

Women always say they want "this guy and this guy to be like this and like this" when that guy is standing right there hearing all this crap, but they still go after the jerks. To tell you the honest truth, I was that nice guy. And to MANY VERY HOT women. You would think times would change as you got older and things get more sophisticated, and more "grown up"....but it's still the same crap. Games. Women say they don't play games, yet, they like the chase. Well, I'll tell you what, you'll look back, and find yourself 40, alone, and old still at the bars if it were me chasing. I became the arrogant jerk, and suddenly I got more play on ACCIDENT than some guys did on purpose.

Case in point, know when to be the arrogant prick, and when to be the nice guy....as neither pays off if you're one or the other.

Wow...what a rant. Can you see this is a sour topic for me? lol Placing women on a pedestal, on level playing ground, or belittling them....it's all a lose-lose situation if you're consistent with one of those 3.

Wow...I need to stop....*exits thread*

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #66 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another lose-lose situation is if you're a teenager taking a girl out and it comes time to tip. Obviously the girl is making a mental note of how much you tip and judging you accordingly. The conflict is that as a underpaid student, you are making the same or less wage than the waiter/waitress. Leave a nice tip and you're practically leaving the fruits of a few hours of your own hard work for the waiters service, leave a measly tip and you are labelled as a cheapskate by your date.

I've had an ex comment about how my 10% tip might be a bit low, and I said listen here missy, this is the fourth time I've taken you out to dinner this week. I don't know how your warped sense of perception works, but assumption that you should leave a good tip also relies heavily on whether you can actually afford to or not. As a student working a part time job, I'm not exactly in the market for a new yacht this year.

Hahaha...that's awesome, and SOOOO true. Good one there pne, kudos.

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #67 of 118
Quote:

How soon can you move to England??
biggrin.gif

Well the answer I want to give to that question would be too political for Head-Fi given my vehement options on our new illustrious first minister Alex Salmond.

Suffice to say, I'll be down there after independence or after my degree depending on circumstance. Lets hope that the former never transpires though.

I was serious about my positive discrimination opinions though, I'm of the camp that thinks that if disabled people want equality in job selection and social means then they should surrender their reserved car park spaces.

Nov 3, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #69 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah, that's bunk. Women always say they want "this guy and this guy to be like this and like this" when that guy is standing right there hearing all this crap, but they still go after the jerks.

Er, excuse me Mr Sour, but to quote you. . . Bah, that's bunk, double bunk even!! I don't know what kind of women you've been out with, but you're sticking them all in one category - 'users' and 'game players'. How narrow minded is that? Anyway, the thread was about 'who should pick up the tab' - not 'shall we bash women'.

If I had feelings, and I was human - I might have been offended by your comments. . .
icon10.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #70 of 118
Quote:

I'm of the camp that thinks that if disabled people want equality in job selection and social means [size=xx-small]then they should surrender their reserved car park spaces[/size].

I would like to say I didn't giggle at that - but I can't.

Joking aside, we have a huge supermarket a few miles away with space for about 500 cars. At least 30% of the spaces are reserved for the disabled - and in all my years of shopping there, I've never seen more than one disabled person in the store! Are 30% of the population disabled? No - so why all the spaces?
confused.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #71 of 118
oicdn, not all women are game players and not all expect you to pay for everything as a result of paying once (and I know you know that
wink.gif
). You may be attracted to the wrong types of women, since the ones that society would consider "VERY HOT" can sometimes lack sophistication as a side effect. Sure, they can be tempting, but they're better off avoided if you don't like to be manipulated.

So, just be yourself, and keep your eyes open for women who are honest and straightforward, since it sounds like you might appreciate this type more.
biggrin.gif

Back on topic... I agree with the people who have said that even if you don't want to pay for everything, be prepared! You'll never know when one person or the other will forget to bring his/her wallet or purse.

Nov 3, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #72 of 118
It really just depends. I supply the headphones, she can supply the food. I mean if eating out is easier than her cooking a meal...who really wins here?

...she does until the check comes.

ps. if anyone is female that reads this.... this isn't eightbitpotion, this is his friend.

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #73 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oicdn, not all women are game players and not all expect you to pay for everything as a result of paying once (and I know you know that
wink.gif
). You may be attracted to the wrong types of women, since the ones that society would consider "VERY HOT" can sometimes lack sophistication as a side effect. Sure, they can be tempting, but they're better off avoided if you don't like to be manipulated.

So, just be yourself, and keep your eyes open for women who are honest and straightforward, since it sounds like you might appreciate this type more.
biggrin.gif

Back on topic... I agree with the people who have said that even if you don't want to pay for everything, be prepared! You'll never know when one person or the other will forget to bring his/her wallet or purse.

Sure, but the level headed ones are always ugly...that's why they're level headed, lol. Just kidding.

FWIW, all my posts were falling on the fecetious side, so don't take them too literal.
icon10.gif

Nov 3, 2007 at 9:11 AM Post #74 of 118
Quote:

I was serious about my positive discrimination opinions though, I'm of the camp that thinks that if disabled people want equality in job selection and social means then they should surrender their reserved car park spaces.

I agree. To a point. There does not need to be the outrageous amount of excess handicap parking spaces we see today. If you have some sort of disability that makes it difficult for you to walk from one end of the parking lot to the other, how on earth are you going to handle yourself in a grocery store where you need to be pushing a cart or carrying a basket? On the other hand, there should be a few wide handicap stalls for the people who need the clearance for wheelchairs. Unfortunately, the most common "disability" these days is probably obesity or can be directly related to obesity (heart conditions).

Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Face it, all women like being pampered. Any guy willing to do so is taken advantage of, no matter how minor. Hence the saying : Nice guys finish last.

Women always say they want "this guy and this guy to be like this and like this" when that guy is standing right there hearing all this crap, but they still go after the jerks. To tell you the honest truth, I was that nice guy. And to MANY VERY HOT women. You would think times would change as you got older and things get more sophisticated, and more "grown up"....but it's still the same crap. Games. Women say they don't play games, yet, they like the chase. Well, I'll tell you what, you'll look back, and find yourself 40, alone, and old still at the bars if it were me chasing. I became the arrogant jerk, and suddenly I got more play on ACCIDENT than some guys did on purpose.

Case in point, know when to be the arrogant prick, and when to be the nice guy....as neither pays off if you're one or the other.

Wow...what a rant. Can you see this is a sour topic for me? lol Placing women on a pedestal, on level playing ground, or belittling them....it's all a lose-lose situation if you're consistent with one of those 3.

Wow...I need to stop....*exits thread*

lots of truth here. I used to play the nice guy too, and all I'd end up being is a really good friend. On the rare occasion that it progressed from good friends to dating, the girl would still take advantage of the situation, and probably end up leaving for the bad boy sooner or later.

I'm not saying that I act like a prick on purpose to girls, but I don't go out of my way to be superficially nice and gushy. Sure, I'll hold the door for you if your arms are full, but don't expect me to be an automatic door opener. Girls like guys that are a little abrasive, guys that irritate them just a little bit because they won't give in to what the girl wants. This establishes that you have a self confidence and direction, and you're not going to be manipulated by stuff like whining, fear of retribution from the female, or promise of sex. In essence a woman is looking for someone that is a suitable leader as well as a mate, the whole alpha male thing. If she's got you by the seat of your pants then most likely she is just using you and looking for a more suitable partner. Having played both sides of the game, I've never had one girlfriend tell me her favorite quality about me was that I was "nice" or "chivalrous", but many have said "confidence".

Nov 3, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #75 of 118
Quote:

Our first (crazy-long) conversation consisted of her asking if I like girls with big T and A, if I think she'd make a good wife, and chatting while she was obviously "on the john". I originally thought she was playing around, but she never let up on the creepiness. I eventually stopped picking up the phone, even though she'd call numerous times a day.

3 words

Hook Me Up!

very_evil_smiley.gif

i only ever seem to interface with exceptionally pristine and lady like victorian era ladies.

that sounds great, would like to sample the other way, the grass is always greener...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back