who likes neutral,who likes coloured?
Apr 17, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #286 of 392
indeed. but there are just rooms that you cant fix sometimes.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #287 of 392
To me this neutral/colored discussion is a bit useless.

I don't mind a slight exaggerated bass and extended highs as long as the overall sound is cohesive and the tonality or better the quality of the tonality sounds natural to me.
My D5000s have slight exaggerated highs and lows, but the mids seem very flat and neutral to me.

I have very seldom come across colorations in headphones that sounded so extreme off that I considered them to sound unnatural
But in those seldom occasions it weren't the highs, the bass or recessed mids, most head-fi'ers talk about, but very forward mids, yes you heard me, the holy grail in headphone universe, headphones with very prominent mids have the tendency to sound unnatural to me.
That said, my ears can adjust easily, so in the end I can live with even the most weird off-sounding headphones.

More important to me is the overall quality of the sound, not the tonality and evenness per se, but the quality of the sound itself. That the timbre sounds true to life and the overal sound is cohesive and natural flowing, with little grain.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #288 of 392
I like how this topic was about what we ourselves prefer, and it became some the typical head-fi snobbery 'neutral is better' elitist bullcrap that nobody asked to be saturated with.

Look at the beginning posts where they preferred colored. They cut quite clear and quick. Then look how the neutral snobs came in and started on their pathetic high and mighty rambling, bringing down why colored is horrible, blah, blah, blah.

I'm so glad I'm not part of such a ridiculous group of self righteous know it alls.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #290 of 392
Quote:
But generalizing and running your mouth like this is more respectable!

Don't take it personally, this kid does it all over head-fi.

The way I see it, neutral is clean, colored is not... this isn't to say some people don't prefer an unclean sound... kind of like pigs in mud.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #291 of 392
But don't you want the most neutral sound possible, to 'hear what the artist intended'?

Actually, no I don't. I'd rather listen to music the way I want it to sound like. Frankly, I don't even think you can ever hear how they heard without knowing the exact setup that they used.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #292 of 392
Just trying to balance out from the influx of neutral know it alls on here. Seriously. Look back on the posts. Those who preferred colored said they liked what it does for them. Then come the neutral heads who for the most part take it upon themselves to not only put down colored headphones, but to make it sound as if listening to music only makes sense in their way.

Please.

We get it. You all think neutral is better. But guess what? There is no right way to listen to music. We like what we like. If we want to listen to our music with an extra serving of bass and treble, then we will, and enjoy it. If you think for one minute that all this preachy nonsense will change what we prefer, you got another thing coming.

The topic was about what we preffered. It wasn't a plea to impose your self righteous beliefs on everyone else, while trampling all over their preferences.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #293 of 392

Quote:

The way I see it, neutral is clean, colored is not... this isn't to say some people don't prefer an unclean sound... kind of like pigs in mud.

High horse much? Lol. Better go count your pennies for the next thousand dollar purchase. Stop being pretentious.

The way I see it, neutral is neutral, colored is colored, and all are sound, with different degrees of quality, NOT related to the fact that some are neutral and others are colored.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #294 of 392

Oh brother. This 'kid' is 28. And this 'kid' will be here to counteract your superiority complex at every turn. You love to do it in every thread you participate in. Yeah, nice one. So all of us who prefer colored sound are like pigs now?

I love how you slyly try and act mature whilst nonchalantly insulting an entire demographic as if its nothing.

Next time you try to act like your **** don't stink, at least try and refrain from making your entire post moot with an insult at the end.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #296 of 392
Quote:
I just deleted a couple of posts.  C'mon, guys, be civil.

As for my opinion on neutral versus colored:  Depends on my mood.  (Oink!)  Oh, and...de gustibus non est disputandum...or something like that.

That's my opinion on many things, but sometimes I wonder if being open minded is something that's hard to accomplish for some.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #297 of 392
I accept that some degree of colouration may be unavoidable in a headphone, but neutrality definitely is the goal that I am aiming for.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #298 of 392
excuse me but i have not once bashed anyones preference i have simply stated why i like neutral sound and why i dont like colored and certain people have gotten almost angry over it. im out of this thread because people are acting extremely stupid about something that is not that big of a deal. as someone "labeled" me before i am an audio "purist" and like it that way. get over it.

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #299 of 392
It appears that we're not allowed to enjoy our music how we wanna enjoy it without being looked at as pigs, or something inferior to them just because we like to spice up our sound in any way we like.

If there's a lesson to be learned, is that us as a race love to customize things to suit our preference. Be it music, cars, our own bodies, food, etc. Especially when it's a for our OWN personal enjoyment/pleasure. There's no right or wrong way to make things better for ourselves. There's only OUR way. Yours is neutral, ours is colored. Which is better? NONE. Why? Because we aren't the same person.

What is so frigging difficult to understand about that?

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #300 of 392
I obviously haven't read all the posts in this thread, but it seems you don't notice the posts that are 'pro-colored'.
That aside, I wouldn't get angry over opinions, none of the posts in this thread tell the absolute truth...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back