Who Is the Greatest NFL Quarterback of All Time?
Jan 26, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 73
First football game I ever watched was the super bowl of the Dolphins perfect season. Was a Miami fan for years. Dan Marino gets my vote for fastest arm, but no more.

Restricting comments to guys I've seen, one guy wins hands down as best overall quarterback. Joe Montana plays smarter and reads the field better than anyone I've seen, has the guts to take a bit of a tackle and even a big one when it's really necessary (I've never seen Marino do that), can lead a team on the field as well or better than Namath, and is a guy who can lead the team off the field as well. He doesn't have a bad arm either. Heck, he can even run a bit.

The restriction to "guys I've seen" refers to Unitas.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 73
That Montana is winning this poll says just how young headfi's gotten. Montana isn't qualified to carry bradshaw's towel postgame...

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Montana is winning this poll says just how young headfi's gotten. Montana isn't qualified to carry bradshaw's towel postgame...

I agree with the age thing. When others said they had never seen half of them play, I felt really old all of a sudden.
Johnny Unitas is the only one I have little exposure too. Oh and Otto Graham.
But I voted Montana, even as a Cowboys fan. Maybe THATS why I am not big on Bradshaw.
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Montana Joe (S. F. 49ers , St. Louis Chiefs, 1979 - 1984)

St. Louis Chiefs?

I am proud (or ashamed) to admit that I have had the privilege of seeing all but one (Otto Graham) of these quarterbacks play either in person or on television. As a life long 49er fan, I am obviously biased to Montana. Four rings is tough to beat.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #21 of 73
Jim Kelly was in Buffalo

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
St. Louis Chiefs?

I am proud (or ashamed) to admit that I have had the privilege of seeing all but one (Otto Graham) of these quarterbacks play either in person or on television. As a life long 49er fan, I am obviously biased to Montana. Four rings is tough to beat.

Ah, but bradshaw got his 4 rings in 4 visits, by calling his own plays.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #24 of 73
What's a NFL Quarterback? Isn't this an audiophile forum?

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #25 of 73
they play in that game with the horses and the sticks and they guys hitting the ball around, oh wait, no, that's the sport with the guys who pay 1/8th of their yearly income to watch a guy getting paid millions of dollers to run around playing for a few hours. sorry, never got into it.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #26 of 73
Dan Marino is obviously the greatest QB to ever live.

Evaluating a QB by super bowl rings is like judging a person by the state they live in. Tom Brady can't even post a QB rating above 100 (weak arm)...what makes you think this guy could contend with the big boys?

If the ref calls that Oakland fumble recovery right, we wouldn't even be talking about a "dynasty."

-Matt

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #27 of 73
Dan Marino is obviously one of the most talented QB's ever. Greatness, however, is also a measure of winning...and that means championships. That's where he falls short.

Jan 26, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #29 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talk to your father or even granfather before voting or just vote on a quarteback who, in your opinion, is the Greatest.

Adam, a very nice thought, but I am not sure if this is fair to the older QB's, due to the large numbers of younger Head-Fiers that are very much into the game. May I suggest two polls, one where the QB played in the period of 1950 up to '75 or '76.

You'll surely get some votes for Y.A. Tittle of the Giants, Fran Tarkenton and George Blanda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back