Who Is the Greatest NFL Quarterback of All Time?
Jan 26, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #31 of 73
The "team spirit" in me wants to say Archie Manning, but the man was never given a chance. I'm going with who I know - Montana. I hate (with spit, piss, and vinegar) San Francisco, but he was amazing to watch.

Jan 26, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #32 of 73
Joe Montana...all the way

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #33 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The "team spirit" in me wants to say Archie Manning, but the man was never given a chance. I'm going with who I know - Montana. I hate (with spit, piss, and vinegar) San Francisco, but he was amazing to watch.

Yeah I was curious why Archie wasn't even on the list.

Jan 26, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #34 of 73
I think you'd have to at least have a winning season to be in the running for best quarterback of all time. This isn't a self esteem contest for kindergardeners.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #35 of 73
So far and away John Elway that it's not even funny.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dan Marino is one of my favorite players...but no championship knocks him out of contention for Greatest of All Time.
frown.gif

I never get this mindset.. Football is a team sport.. I'm sure Elway wouldn't be considered a great QB if he never won 2 SB's..geez..
rolleyes.gif
Like the Aikman theory.. Winning SB's makes you a 'great QB'.. Don't get me started on Aikman..
280smile.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #37 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'd have to at least have a winning season to be in the running for best quarterback of all time.

I agree. That's why the little qualifiers are present in my op.

Quote:

This isn't a self esteem contest for kindergardeners.

Clarify please - who are the kindergarteners?

If Archie Manning himself - I don't think he reads this board and he's got 2 sons in the NFL; I highly doubt posts from Samgotit or mr_baseball_08 would add much to his self esteem.

If Archie Manning fans - please refer to my qualifiers in the first sentence of my op. I don't think he outright deserves to be labeled the best. I do think things could have been different with another team, under different circumstance - that's all.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #38 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Evaluating a QB by super bowl rings is like judging a person by the state they live in. Tom Brady can't even post a QB rating above 100 (weak arm)...what makes you think this guy could contend with the big boys?

Disagree, when debating "Greatness" of an athlete, in terms of "Who is the Greatest ever?" Its winning and loosing that separates the greats from the gifted. Winning and loosing is the bottom line criteria. You can possess all the talent in the world if you cant win the big game, its meaningless in a "greatest ever" context discussion. I don't believe I am alone in this assessment.

Bradshaw or Montana... Pick em'.. they won in different eras with different rules making them both great in their respective eras of sport.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #40 of 73
it's all Joe Montana for me. With Jerry Rice. Ungodly.

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #41 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elway Tom (Denver Broncos, 1983 - 1998)

Since he is the greatest of all time let's get his name right
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #42 of 73
I'm no football guru by any stretch...hell, I don't even keep up with football much, but I think it's funny how many votes montana has, vs Bradshaw....wow. Craziness...I guess it's all those rings on his fingers that quantifies him as "greatest"???

Jan 26, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #44 of 73
I love the "With Jerry Rice" adds. Heck, Garcia might have been in the mix too if Jerry was in his prime instead of TO. Jerry makes everyone happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back