Who Is the Greatest NFL Quarterback of All Time?
Jan 26, 2007 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73
Who's the Greatest quarterback of all time?

I believe that this list contains contains Top Three, Five or even Seven Greatest NFL Quarterbacks.
Let's see.

Post your short list of the Greatest i.e. Top 3, Top 5, or Top 7.

Talk to your father or even granfather before voting or just vote on a quarteback who, in your opinion, is the Greatest.

Refresher
Aikman Troy (Dallas Cowboys, 1989 - 2000)
Bradshaw Terry (Pittsburgh, Steelers, 1970 - 1983)
Brady Tom ( New England Patrits, 2000 - present)
Elway John (Denver Broncos, 1983 - 1998)
Favre Brett (Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, 1991 - 2006?)
Fouts Dan (San Diego Chargers, 1973 - 1987)
Graham Otto (Cleveland Browns, 1946 - 1955)
Griese Bob (Miami Dolphins, 1967 - 1980)
Kelly Jim (Chicago Bears, 1986 -1996)
Manning Peyton (Indianapolis Colts, 1998 - present)
Marino Dan (Miami Dolphins, 1983 - 1999)
Montana Joe (S. F. 49ers , St. Louis Chiefs, 1979 - 1984)
Moon Warren (Houston Oilers, Minnesota Vikings, Seattle Seahawks, Kansas City Chiefs, 1984 - 2000)
Namath Joe (N.Y. Jets, L.A. Rams, 1965 - 1977)
Starr Bart (Green Bay Packers, 1956 - 1971)
Staubach Roger (Dallas Cowboys, 1969 - 1979)
Tarkenton Fran ((Minnesota Vikings, N. Y. Giants, 1961 - 1978)
Unitas Johny (Baltimore Colts, San Diego chargers, 1956 - 1973)
Young Steve ((L. A. Express), Tampa Bay Buccaneers, S. F. 49ers, 1984 - 1999)

See you on the Greatest Quarterback's
blink.gif
Side of the Moon?

P.S.
I haven't checked for any typos or factual mistakes in the Refresher. Let me know if you find any.

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 73
This should be interesting
icon10.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by TVaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This should be interesting
icon10.gif

Yep. It will be interesting to see Head-fi's consensus view on this. That was a pretty good list to choose from. It has my top 5 favorites for the "Greatest, All-Time" category.

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #5 of 73
I doubt most of us have ever even seen half the players on that list.

I voted for montana, although I am incredibly biased. The impact he, Bill Walsh and Eddie Debartolo had on the bay area sports scene was mind boggling. Turning a loosing franchise into champs overnight. I was only 10 when he threw that pass to Dwight Clark.

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #6 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt most of us have ever even seen half the players on that list.

True, but...

I have spent hundreds of hours watching the NFL Films presentations on ESPN over the years and I'm sure there are other people like that here too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 73
Johnny Unitas...it's close, but he wins out IMHO over Joe Montana.

He was league MVP three times, league champion in 1958 vs the NY Giants (some call it the greatest game ever played), and again in Super Bowl V vs the Dallas Cowboys. Named to the Pro Bowl 10 times, he is also a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame (elected in 1979...his first year of eligibility).

His career passing yards exceeded 40,000 (he was the first to do so), and he threw a TD pass in 47 consecutive games.

The most impressive thing to remember about Unitas is that he did all of this in an era before rules changes really opened up the passing game. The 47 straight games with a TD pass in that era is really remarkable.

Oh, and by the time his career is over, I think that Tom Brady will be held in similar regard. What that guy has accomplished so early in his career is remarkable.

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The%20Guarantee.jpg

III.jpg

I know Joe Montana's great, but Joe Willie will always be our #1 !

Yes, I love Joe Namath's Guaranteeing the victory.
As I've read this was one of the biggest upsets in the history of all American sports.

I modified my original post by adding a Refresher!

I suggest that before voting you talk to your father or even grandfather. They might enlighten you.

I believe that there are some NFL gurus on this site and they will be delighted to see this list!
Plus there are people of all ages on this site, see. e.g. my Poll 'How Old Are you?', so we should be OK.

Post your short lists of the Greatest Quarterbacks!

Voting on: 'None of the above' is virtually impossible, but it's up to you.

See you on the Don Marino's Side of the Moon?

P.S.
In the NHL Messner of New York Rangers also guaranted the winning the 6th game and ...

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gotta go with Dan Marino.

Dan Marino is one of my favorite players...but no championship knocks him out of contention for Greatest of All Time.
frown.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #14 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I love Joe Namath's Guaranteeing the victory.
As I've read this was one of the biggest upsets in the history of all American sports.

If you're interested in a little history, Namath just kept calling the plays at the line. These were the days when QBs had a great deal of autonomy and responsibility in play calling. In the huddle, he'd just pretty much say "see me at the line" a good deal. Amazing.

I know it's off topic, but I could not resist
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the NHL Messner of New York Rangers also guaranted the winning the 6th game and ...

Adam - too funny - I was there parading through the streets of NYC in '94 with my buddies and their makeshift Stanley Cups made out of a pasta colander and tin foil. Here was what I was thinking of...
01225_messphb016000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back