John Bonham

johnbonham02.jpg

Living Legends the lot of em!
600smile.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #78 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calanctus
Best drummer: Zakir Hussein.

Best producer of drumming music: Mickey Hart.

zakir hussein is a tabla player, not a drummer

My contibution to this thread is Sivamani. this man is a freakin' genius. totally cool and has an awesome sense of rythm.

Sep 27, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #80 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
Bloody hell Ringo star even made it into that list
frown.gif

I recall reading about an interview with John Lennon. In it, the interviewer asked him if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world, to which he replied, "Hell, he isn't even the best drummer in the band."

Don't know if it's true, but it cracked me up.

Some of my favorites (I don't think I would be so presumptious to call them the "best" in the world, but I like to listen to them)

Joel Rosenblatt

Ed Shaughnessy

Danny Seraphine

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #81 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I recall reading about an interview with John Lennon. In it, the interviewer asked him if he thought Ringo was the best drummer in the world, to which he replied, "Hell, he isn't even the best drummer in the band."

Don't know if it's true, but it cracked me up.[/URL]

Just one of John Lennon's jokes.
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #82 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT

Heh, funny and true although nobody with a pair of ears and a sense of timing needs John Lennon to tell them that Ringo Starr is probably one of the worst drummers out there.

"we all live in a yellow submarine" accompanied by "rat atat a rat atat a rat atat" on the drums.. sounds like a boy scout playing the drums
icon10.gif

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #83 of 122
Having seen Neil Peart 20+ times I use to regard him as one of the greatest ever, but many of the jazz drummers mentioned above are clearly on another level. Some of these guys play in such abstract timing that no matter how familiar you are with a piece, you still can't "air-drum" along because it's all over the map.

Good to see Joel Rosenblatt and Brian Blade get mentions.

Sep 27, 2004 at 6:55 PM Post #84 of 122
I think I made a couple of suggestions earlier in this thread, but when I saw Gundam's references to Gadd and Cobham, I just had to mention Harvey Mason.

He's now with Fourplay (fantastic band), but has played for so many other great artist... (Herbie on Headhunters, Ellington, and Errol Garner to name a few, and has had seven Grammy nominations including one for Best Contemporary Jazz Performance for the latest of six solo endeavors, Ratamacue.)

hm4.gif

Amazing drummers.

BTW, does anyone remember Steve Gadd's killer snare chops on Paul Simon's 50 Ways to Leave Your Lover?

I recall the classic SNL performance with goosebumps...

Sep 27, 2004 at 7:18 PM Post #85 of 122
Another overlooked drummer is the fabulous Graham Broad I've seen him live twice with Roger Waters on the "in the flesh" tour and 3 times with the Bill Wyman Rhythm Kings..... he does an absolutely kick arse solo in the middle of the rhythm kings set... well worth looking out for! you wouldn't miss him as he's about 6 foot 7 !

mikegraham.jpg

Graham Broad to the left of photo

Sep 28, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #89 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
EDIT: Almost forgot to add Jordan Burns of Strung Out (he's probably the most well-rounded and talented drummer in punk)

Thank you for including Jordan Burns
smily_headphones1.gif
. You brought a tear to my eye; perhaps I'm not the only one who thinks that Strung Out has some great musicians (cf27=NOT DELUDED AFTER ALL!)...

But yeah, Jordan Burns is great.

Controlled, yet still very fast. Give Strung Out's "American Paradox" a listen...it's less punkish than the earlier albums, but it has some sweet songs.

As for inexplicably bad punk drummers...

I can't believe Offspring persevered as long as they did with Ron Welty
tongue.gif

One of the Best Punk Bands featuring one of THE worst punk drummers.

Sep 28, 2004 at 6:43 AM Post #90 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Thank you for including Jordan Burns
smily_headphones1.gif
. You brought a tear to my eye; perhaps I'm not the only one who thinks that Strung Out has some great musicians (cf27=NOT DELUDED AFTER ALL!)...

But yeah, Jordan Burns is great.

Controlled, yet still very fast. Give Strung Out's "American Paradox" a listen...it's less punkish than the earlier albums, but it has some sweet songs.

As for inexplicably bad punk drummers...

I can't believe Offspring persevered as long as they did with Ron Welty
tongue.gif

One of the Best Punk Bands featuring one of THE worst punk drummers.

I love strung out! They're the only "modern" punk band I listen to very often. I keep looking for a similar band, and keep coming up empty. Burns is pretty killer, especially as far as punk/maintreacm rock drummers go. I guess I listen to waay to much prog/metal for him to really stand out of the crowd though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back