Who is DONE? How long have they been DONE for?
Jan 2, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #34 of 101
I know people who are done. It seems nice and relaxing like being on vacation. They concentrate on music and enjoy the fruits of their labor. I have two or three more things to do. It seems like I am so close. From what I have learned I think just a new cartridge, cables and some power conditioning will get me where I need to be. The most important thing that I see happening is tweeking. 30% improvements are not the thing of legend but a real life event when everything just gets put better into sync. Added things like harmonic stands are scary to dwell into as it seems like the next final step into a form of insanity which could not ever end. Somehow mankind is never happy to let things sit. The hard part is charging past what could be perfect. People look to set up what they had in the past because they upgraded past it all. There really must be a way to see/hear into these improvements and have a plan with basic goals in order. The end is about being content. This may not be an equipment issue at all. It is sometimes a way people look for happiness in life. Where you are in life is where you are to be. Same with equipment purchases.

Jan 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #35 of 101
Unless John Grado makes a new custom something for headfi, I am done with higher-end headphones.

I am done with IEM's, because futuresonics and me, we were made for each other.

I am NOT done with Dac/amps, sources, and speakers, but I AM sure that I will be using computer-as-source, any way. And since I live in an ashram I still have no need for a home setup as of yet.

Edit: I forgot that I also really want a pair of orthodynamics. I am very interested in the concept behind them.

Jan 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #36 of 101
Im done (this year, at least) with full size headphones unless STAX comes up with a 4070 mk2 or another Omega which I doubt...
Im placing an order on monday for the EarSonics EM3-pro custom in-ear, and then I will also be done with portables.

On amplification and sources for HP's Im not done. WES is still in my panorama and might change my dacs.

On my main system (speakers) Im never done, although upgrades here are slow... to expensive to do it periodically. A change per year would be the rate here.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #37 of 101
Quote:

They concentrate on music and enjoy the fruits of their labor.

this was me before renewed interest in headphones.

events in life made netbook and headphone rig something important though it all still revolves around my speakers setup in one way or another, now more than just an at-work afterthought is driving me. i would like to yet try Audio technica and Ultrasone but my goal is a wooden pair of Grados in some flavor TBD. State of unexpected flux, head-fi doesn't help being done.... heh

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #38 of 101
Guess I could consider myself done!
Bought a K1000, Signature 30.2 and Isabellina back in 2008, and it has been my primary rig ever since. I still have my eyes on headphones, like the HE-5 and LCD-2, but that is more out of curiosity than need.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #39 of 101
I am done with earbud, clip-ons and supraaural - deep modded PK1, KSC-35, PortaPro correspondingly. It took 3 years.
There are just two DAPs, IEM, DAC, amp, full-size cans left.

Jan 2, 2010 at 11:58 AM Post #41 of 101
Been sort-of done for a while but that's more due to practicality and necessity than any cure to upgraditis. I'm settled on the O2 as main headphone, and the Opus 21 is doing just fine as source for now, but the amping situation is... interesting. The SRD-7 Pro/Dared VP-20 combo is voiced exactly how I want it to be, but the technical side needs to be improved on. So, whether it will be a standard solution like a BHSE or WES, or maybe a bigger transformer box to use with the VP-20, or an entirely new custom amp that's voiced to sound like the VP-20 but can drive the O2... I still don't know yet. The possibilities are intriguing, however, and in the meanwhile, I do like where the rig is going. It's exceptionally vivid and musical. It has also introduced quite a few people to real hi-fi, who have since then gone on to get good setups of their own.

Still need the JH13 on the portable front, but that will come in due time.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #42 of 101
I am done too. I can´t really see what I need more. I just got sold my Essence ST and K701 as a new year present to myself.

Hope to be able to continue downsizing my collection 2010 and continue enjoying music like I been the past months.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #43 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know people who are done. It seems nice and relaxing like being on vacation. They concentrate on music and enjoy the fruits of their labor. I have two or three more things to do. It seems like I am so close. From what I have learned I think just a new cartridge, cables and some power conditioning will get me where I need to be. The most important thing that I see happening is tweeking.

I'm with Redcarmoose. Aside from a couple of planned items for DIY and purchase, all I am interested in is tweaking a couple of weak areas in my rig.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #45 of 101
I enjoy getting new cans and tinkering, so in that respect I am not done and possibly never will be.

I am done in respect of I will remain with a computer based head-fi set up.

But straight away that will mean upgrades to get a better laptop with more processing power and a larger memory to stream music and store downloads. I cam also see me upgrading the amp and DAC I have. Then there will be room for two more cans in my collection. I can upgrade from the freebie, cheapo wires I have etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back