Who is DONE? How long have they been DONE for?
Jan 6, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #61 of 101
got my jh-13s, have a pico slim on preorder(im #9) and i just got my dac19 from audio gd. I dont see myself upgrading anytime soon. Im gonna go to canjam this year with the intention of trying to find a desktop amp to mate with the jh-13s that will better the pico slim, but im not particularly hopeful. Though if i dont ill take that grand, and sell my dac19, and buy the ref1 dac from audio gd and finally call it quits.

wait, i have to order my HiFace for my MBP too

Jan 6, 2010 at 2:48 AM Post #62 of 101
Unfortunately, I'm very, very far from done.

I won't be done until I have/have tried the HD800, HF-2 and the Stax O2.

That said, realistically speaking I'll be done for a long time when I get my portable setup. (Probably ESW9 + T3. If I had the money it would be ESW10 + Pico Slim) Well, a good DAC too. (under $500)

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #63 of 101
I'm done, sorta.

The problem is time. I need a few spare parts, but I've got nine or ten amps to finish and a pair of speakers. I have 90% of the parts, but no time to work on anything.

But, hopefully, I can fix that this year. Once I finish the projects, I'm going to sit back and enjoy everything. Maybe I'll pick up another top-end headphone or two when they're released, but we'll see.

One of the last parts showed up yesterday. I managed to score a nicely built Dynalo board sans power supply. That's OK, since I have a couple of STEPS supplies and am going to disassemble my Dynalo to add it to the rest to end up with a Dynamid/Gilmore Reference. I've always wanted one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Add the Dynamight, Beta22 and several tube projects I have boxed, and I'll be set.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #64 of 101
Well, this is my first visit back to Head-fi for awhile, and I haven't even posted about headphones or anything for over a year... I've been done for awhile. I went through a few dozen headphones and came full circle back to what I loved, the HD25-1 and UM2. I haven't found anything I like more than that for less than about $4000, believe it or not.

Jan 6, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #66 of 101
I like how some people have posted that they are done because they have some item on order. Hahaha, you hope!

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #67 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaizor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like how some people have posted that they are done because they have some item on order. Hahaha, you hope!

Hilarious but true!

I'm done for a long, long time. I have my EMU 0404 USB, Head-Direct EF1, and Grado HF-2's...that dials in at a little under $1k...way more than I need for a college setup, but a very, very good-sounding one nonetheless.

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #68 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I myself have been upgrading senselessly for the past year and a half but just want to be done in some way or another.
Just curious, in celebration of my 1000th post.

Congrats on post number 1,000
tongue.gif

There are so many different options in this hobby that I might agree that if you're truly done and not lying to yourself, you wouldn't still be here. Just kidding, I'm sure it's out of curiosity--not! I also don't think that being "done" is necessarily a good thing in a hobby such as this where the technology is still evolving, especially in the digital source and portable amplification arenas.

Having said that, I can totally relate to the "senseless upgrade" phenomenon; I think I am done with that part, and I actually tried to "skip" it. My plan was to upgrade from the HD555s to the 600s, then get a balanced amp and and cable, then a good DAC. After two balanced LD MKVIIs arrived broken from China, I lost my patience and have been exploring single-ended options since then with an eye on converting to a higher-end balanced rig someday. My full-size cans can all be converted pretty easily.

So it's been fun with the various headphones and DACs to be sure, but the acquisition/try it out/move on to something else phase can a little too much of a time-consuming diversion for my tastes. Right now, I still want it all, but am focused on just pausing for awhile and saving for a bad-ass balanced tube amp, then converting my cans over, and tweaking different combinations of components and cables.

Maybe a nice electrostatic rig someday, maybe not. Also haven't really explored the more serious IEMs yet; maybe I never will as I am not sure I need that kind of stealth if it means leaving stuff in my ears. But all I have tried in the past are earbud and canal phones, no real IEMs, yet; so who knows.

I would say my biggest issue right now is that even though I have made some serious inroads in this area, almost all higher-end headphones can still get fatiguing to me after awhile, even the "darker" ones. So I am still experimenting with amp synergy, tube-rolling, and cable upgrades, but also with finding headphones, esp. portable on-ear, that are suitable for extended listening with high fidelity. I am also starting to experiment with EQ'ing as well to reduce fatigue in my home setup, as I am starting to realize that I may be the problem
ph34r.gif

I do think that if you have acesss to meets and good retail outlets, it would make it easier to discover your personal preferences. It would be nice to be done, but this is fun too
floatsmile.png

Jan 6, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #69 of 101
I WAS done...then I found head-fi and the upgrade bug bit. I've been enjoying my ER4P/Total BitHead driven by various iPod/iPhones for the past 5 or 6 years, quite satisfied with this sound. But then about a month ago I began reading the posts in various head-fi forums and its lit a fire under my ass. Exactly what direction that fire is making me jump is yet to be determined but rest assured, upgraditis is here!

Jan 6, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #71 of 101
For 15 years I wanted the HP-2 so I finally plunked down the money and got it 3 months ago. I came to head-fi to read about an amp and ended up buying 3 amps, another pair of headphones and nice some cables. I also started making a wish list.

A couple days ago I realized how out of control I was getting so I decided I AM DONE. I am going to sell the extra stuff and just stick to my original plan of HP-2 + 1 amp. An hour after I made that decision, I turned around and dropped another wad to get a backup pair of HP-2s...and I have yet to bring myself to post my stuff for sale...and I am back reading about what DAC to buy. Dammit, I really need to be done, this is crazy.

Jan 6, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #72 of 101
I can say that after two years here I am finally done! (At least for a long time). I have tube and ss amps that I love. I could not be any happier with my source. With the HD800 I have a can that gives nonstop listening enjoyment, and for that 10-20% of the time that I need a change of pace, I can go to the D7000.

Now about the only thing I am considering doing this year is recabling the D7000, but that is not set in stone.

I figure somewhere down the road I may go balanced, and when I do I'm going to spring for a B52, Balancing Act, etc, but I don't see that happening for a very long time. So, it's time to just sit back and enjoy.
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #73 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have no desire for any full size HP or IEM "upgrade". I'm still happy with my first tube amp which I bought soon after joining. For portable amps, I am planning to buy the Pico Slim. I have enough stuff already for a small party...

I'm DIYing amps so I'm not done there. I need to buy a pro bias stat and that's the only headphone I see myself buying. I'm done with portables. What I need to do is sell stuff.

Jan 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #74 of 101
Now that my P2P Starving Student amp has been finished for about a year, I am done. Two pr of phones for outside, and 2 pr for inside.

Yeah, I am done untill I find a good used reasonable pr of 501's

Or hd 600

Then I will have to build a 12SR7GT Starving Student

Yeah, I am done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back