Who Here is Tempted by The New Olympus E-P1 Micro 4/3 Camera?
Jun 19, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #16 of 69
One thing we have to get out of the way is this is not a P&S camera, many people over dpreview were complaining it's too big because they are looking at it from P&S camera point of view. This camera is considered small for a 4/3 DSLR (well technically it is not a DSLR). I think the size is pretty much very normal like a classic rangefinder.

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #17 of 69
The E-P1 is flawed, but amazing.

I've been waiting for a reasonably portable "system" camera for quite awhile, but I just can't pull the trigger on this..
  1. No built-in flash (for simple fill flash usage)
  2. Low-res LCD
  3. Boutique price tag

That said, this camera is AMAZING as a first go at a new paradigm. I'm simply too amateur to warrant the investment given my sticking points
smily_headphones1.gif

For now, I'm sticking with my Panasonic Lumix LX-2, or upgrading to an LX-3, until the E-P2 comes out.

Jun 20, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #18 of 69
I just checked some sample images(d preview,imaging resource).They look quite good,with good detail without being oversharpened(i like the "smooth" slr like detail)but i noticed a bit edge enhancement(halos)around the objects though i think it's not something to worry about(all cameras have it,more or less)
The high iso performance is good enough,and the colours are nice too.

I don't mind that it hasn't a built in flash but i'm a bit concerned about the screen though,but who knows it maybe ok.

Jun 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #19 of 69
Reminds me of my old Kodak DC200 circa 1998:

KodakDC200%20de.jpg

Damn thing ate batteries like they were going out of style! Still, the form-factor was totally right. Perfect size for my hands.
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mind that it hasn't a built in flash.

Me neither, but I want a linked rangefinder. I just hate that you have to choose between the add-on viewfinder & flash on the hotshoe. Would be nice to have a way of using flash TTL metering with the unit off-camera while still using the viewfinder. Off-course, the viewfinder still isn't linked to the lens for manual focusing. The Sigma has the same issue (for a real flash).

Despite my love of the E-P1's retro aspect, I'm not sad I didn't opt for either one, and went with the E420/pancake lens combo (for now). Pentax has a similiar combo, but the pancake isn't wide enough with the crop-factor. I wish that 17mm was usable on the E420 - is there an adapter to go the other direction?

Jun 21, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #20 of 69
I've already ordered one and plan to get the FD adaptor (for some old Canon lenses) and the Panasonic f/1.7 prime once it's released.

Michaels (one of the two good local stores) should have it for me mid-July.

Jun 21, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #21 of 69
Gosh, image stabilisation and dust reduction, video and RAW, 12.3MP and a large screen (albeit rather low res). There's not a whole lot to complain about. Maybe if they make faster primes (excluding the Leica-exotica) I'd be tempted. I felt very out of place (actually dangerous!) traveling around Penang, Malaysia with my SLR.

Jun 21, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #22 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by LapTop006 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already ordered one and plan to get the FD adaptor (for some old Canon lenses) and the Panasonic f/1.7 prime once it's released.

There's going to be an FD adapter? Then I'm totally sold. I have an AT-1 and an AE-1 Program and a handful of lenses for them already. Granted, the camera will look silly with my 100mm macro attached to it.
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #24 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems a bit overpriced for what it is. But for a first effort, it looks pretty good. It definitely has a bit of sex appeal with the pancake lens.

I'm not sure that I'd personally go for it though. The size is still such that it wouldn't be a "carry everywhere" camera like a P&S. At this point I'm getting along pretty well with a compact (F100fd) and DSLR combo.

Some of us like to keep our bag load under 30lbs.
wink.gif

I'm trying to keep mine between 5-10lbs max.

My D200 will still have it's place, but the E-P1 might find a good fit for every day carry. Although, it is on the heavy side since it has a mostly steel body.

-Ed

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #25 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But d@mn this thing is sexy. I really want to get it, but I think I'd feel guilty if I got it because I really don't need another camera anymore. I already have a DSLR and a good P&S camera.

Unless you have a Sigma DP1 or DP2, the E-P1 will redefine what good really stands for in a compact camera. Just like I couldn't bear shots from my digital Elph after I got my first DSLR in 2001.

Quote:

Any of you guys planning to get one?

I have one on preorder at Amazon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am. I thought the proto-type mock press shots looked nicer though

Same here. They tried to make it look more like a Pen-F half-frame SLR of 50 years ago to appeal to nostalgia.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's an (announced) adapter for micro 4/3 to M mount, so that area is covered nicely! Though with the 2x crop factor really wide lenses become just regular old wide angle.

They are already available from several sources, including Rayqual and Voigtländer. I ordered a Voigtländer adapter from Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest and already have it in hand. Now I just have to wait for the camera itself. I am quite stoked at the idea of putting a 50mm Summilux ASPH to get a 100mm-e f/1.4 lens with top notch optics.

Quote:

What worries me is the lack of a viewfinder. How do you operate the focus/zoom ring while still having the thing far enough for your eye to see the whole screen while maintaining composition? Or is the idea here to shoot at normal focal length (i.e. using the 50mm equivalent prime) and nothing else? Handholding can be hard even with heavy full size bodies, let alone this dinky little thing!

They couldn't make a universal optical VF, and an electronic VF like the Panasonic G1's would have bulked the camera up too much.

Keep in mind it has in-body image stabilization, which should be DSLR-grade and far superior to the mostly ineffective kind you usually find in compacts, that should address hand-holdability.

Quote:

Regardless this thing takes stunning video, to the point where pressing pause gives you a perfect still image, with all the hallmarks of a proper camera.

I'm not really interested in sub-1080p video, but I guess it would be useful in a pinch. The camera you have, etc.

Quote:

I really want the silver one with the creme grip, it just oozes retro cool, and it's a serious camera to boot. The retail for the kit with 17mm & viewfinder is $900USD, which is not bad for such a versatile camera.

I opted for silver/black myself. I don't think the $900 kit includes the VF, you have to pay an extra $99 for that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing is for sure the E-P1 is sexy. But it's not really a tiny camera. It's quite a bit larger than I thought at first. It's quite large for a point and shoot, but downright small for a DSLR based camera.

It's the same size as a Panasonic LX3, that hardly qualifies as big.

Quote:

One thing we have to get out of the way is this is not a P&S camera, many people over dpreview were complaining it's too big because they are looking at it from P&S camera point of view. This camera is considered small for a 4/3 DSLR (well technically it is not a DSLR). I think the size is pretty much very normal like a classic rangefinder.

Much smaller than a rangefinder, even a Canonet or Leica CL/CLE. It's not a point and shoot, it's a high-quality compact camera, just like the Leica III was in its day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's going to be an FD adapter? Then I'm totally sold.

Stephen Gandy (Cameraquest) sells one for $175.

Quote:

wink.gif

I'm trying to keep mine between 5-10lbs max.

My D200 will still have it's place, but the E-P1 might find a good fit for every day carry. Although, it is on the heavy side since it has a mostly steel body.

Only the shell is steel, the structural parts are made of plastic, as can be seen in this dissection.

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #26 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the same size as a Panasonic LX3, that hardly qualifies as big.

The Panasonic LX3 is smaller in every dimension. Also weighs less. (nearly 100grams, and that's compared just the E-P1 Body only.)

But given the awesome performance and sheer sexiness of the E-P1, I don't care. I want it!

Quote:

Only the shell is steel, the structural parts are made of plastic, as can be seen in this dissection.

Thanks for the link. Sweet pics of the internal frame.

-Ed

Jun 22, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #27 of 69
Quote:

wink.gif

Hahaha...admittedly that was hardly an EDC bag!
tongue.gif

Anyway, I guess I would have to handle this camera, to see if it really would be unobtrusive enough for EDC use. At this point however, I find that when I am taking pictures from an EDC rig, my current P&S does the job adequately. When I care enough about what I'm doing to want significantly better image quality, my D200/17-50mm combo isn't too obtrusive.

It will be cool to see what the future holds for this sort of large-sensor, compact-body camera. This looks like a good first effort, but seems a bit sub-optimal in certain regards, and the price could use some work as well. Another part of a good EDC camera would be a lower cost, and hence lower risk.

Jun 22, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #28 of 69
Quote:

The Panasonic LX3 is smaller in every dimension. Also weighs less. (nearly 100grams, and that's compared just the E-P1 Body only.)

Here's an interesting comparison of the E-P1, DP2, LX3, G10 and Nikon P6000 sizes, using the flash hot shoe as a reference. The E-P1 is indeed larger than the LX3, but about the same as the DP2. Since my EDC today is the DP2 (I carry it in my jacket pocket), this is a good sign.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #30 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's an interesting comparison of the E-P1, DP2, LX3, G10 and Nikon P6000 sizes, using the flash hot shoe as a reference. The E-P1 is indeed larger than the LX3, but about the same as the DP2. Since my EDC today is the DP2 (I carry it in my jacket pocket), this is a good sign.

Wow, it really is quite small. I've held a G10 recently and didn't feel that it was huge, and the E-P1 isn't really that much larger.

The E-P1 is heavier than the DP2, but given the metal lens mount and steel skin, it's completely OK with me, especially with the fact that it will probably feel more solid in the hand.

I'll probably buy one from BHPhotoVideo, but I'd rather have the 17mm Pancake lens with the Flash bundled. I have no need for the Viewfinder.

I hate that they didn't allow the E-P1's flash to have any sort of rotation or bounce feature. That's a big omission on Olympus's part.

Hopefully the Nikon SB-400 can work with i-TTL on the E-P1, but I highly doubt it. I use that small flash all the time, and it works great indoors.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back