Who Here is Tempted by The New Olympus E-P1 Micro 4/3 Camera?
Jun 18, 2009 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

dj_mocok

Headphoneus Supremus
I just read this from dpreview and there has been lots of discussion (and flame wars as usual ala dpreview) about the EP1.
Most common complain is the lack of onboard flash, which I don't need (never used onboard flash ever) and lack of viewfinder (which I can also tolerate).

But d@mn this thing is sexy. I really want to get it, but I think I'd feel guilty if I got it because I really don't need another camera anymore. I already have a DSLR and a good P&S camera.

But this thing looks like tons of fun to shoot with! The price is so attractive too. I want this with a 17mm and an optical viewfinder attached (they sell the combo for this) and just walk around snapping some street photography. It would be fun.

But I don't need it... but I want it. And I don't even know where to begin to persuade my partner to allow me to get this one. I don't think I would even try... But I really want it. But I don't need it. But look at that thing. I love something that is so simple like that.

Any of you guys planning to get one?

olympus-e-p1-1-580x435.jpg

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 69
I saw this camera some minutes ago at imaging resource.Nice one!The only thing that lets me a bit down is that the 3" lcd screen is not 920.000 pixels.
My experience is that a 3" lcd with 230.000 is not too good for checking focus.
But who knows,this screen may be better.
Anyway,it looks very nice and the micro 4/3 technology also seems very promising in terms of image quality.
But i don't want to buy another camera now,i already have 4.(3 p&s and 1 dslr)

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #3 of 69
Checking focus you can always use zoom function, like what I always do.
But you are right, they should've put a screen as nice as D90 one (considering there's no EVF). If they could put a higher res LCD, that'd be awesome, even if they had to increase the price a bit to do so.

But I think even at 230,000 it should be okay -they wouldn't release this with crappy looking LCD.

I also don't need another camera but I want it! arrgh!

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #4 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Checking focus you can always use zoom function, like what I always do.
But you are right, they should've put a screen as nice as D90 one (considering there's no EVF). If they could put a higher res LCD, that'd be awesome, even if they had to increase the price a bit to do so.

But I think even at 230,000 it should be okay -they wouldn't release this with crappy looking LCD.

I also don't need another camera but I want it! arrgh!

When i say checking focus(or blur due to slow shutter speed),of course i mean using the zoom button,there is no other way to check(just looking at the screen can tell nothing)

i advice you to be a little patient because panasonic may release something similar but even better
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 69
I used to use my 2.5" Nikon D80 (with 230,000 pixel as well), it was perfectly fine. I know it's 0.5" smaller, but we'll see what the owners say once they received the cameras.

I am not planning to buy it now, no way I can do that since I bought a few toys already these past few months. Also I really don't need another camera. Maybe I shouldn't follow the topics about camera, or else I'd be more tempted.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 69
I'm definitely looking at this one. I'm of the same mind as the guy who wrote the preview at dpreview. I shoot film largely with an old Canonet rangefinder and have often said I wanted a digital that was similar - decent lens and a large sensor from a DSLR, but in a rangefinder type form factor. It looks like I have my wish, so I'm hoping they don't mess it up.
smily_headphones1.gif

No viewfinder is a bit odd and I would have liked a high-res LCD like on the newer DSLRs, but I don't think Olympus has a high-res LCD on any of their products.

The early images look good and noise at high ISOs is lower than the other Olympus DSLRs because of the new image processor, so I'm optimistic that this will be good and might be my next camera.

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 69
I'm definitely interested in this camera I've been quite fond of a number of Olympus cameras over the years. The OM1, XA1, the stylus all have been great cameras that have been a joy to use. I picked up the small Oly 410 because the camera I wanted didn't exist yet, this looks like it may be it.

Jun 18, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 69
I'm very tempted even though I'm already invested in Canon gear. Before "going digital" I had an Olympus OM camera and have had fondness for the company ever since. I considered buying one of the Pen series or rangefinder cameras... in spite of how impractical it might be. This new offering looks like a fitting and well-executed homage to the Pen series and I would be able to use my OM Zuiko lenses again which would be very cool.

Jun 18, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 69
I am certainly very interested in the E-P1 as a higher quality and more versatile replacement for my Ricoh GRD II, which gets significantly more use these days than my Canon 30D.

That said, the GRD III is due out in the Autumn and given how much I love the GRD II, I think I will wait at least until the details of the new Ricoh are revealed before buying anything.

Jun 19, 2009 at 1:27 AM Post #12 of 69
Looks like even only from Head-fi scope, there are many of us that are interested in this camera. If they don't screw up something major in the camera, I think this one will sell quite well. Who knows this will be a start of a third breed of mainstream cameras - DSLR, P&S, and Micro 4/3rd.

I actually like the looks of the original 1963 PEN better, it has much retro look (well, it is from 1963, duh...) But the EP-1 is also retro enough I think. I like the white one better.

The optional viewfinder on pen (the one that you mount on hot shoe) is quite tall, I wonder if you might actually knock it out of the mount if you are wearing the camera on your shoulder (using that Oly's shoulder strap)..

I am not familiar with 4/3 lenses at all, the EP1 has 2 adapters, MMF-1 and MF-2, do you guys know what sort of lenses we can mount into these adapters?

For some reason the movie mode hasn't been mentioned that much before, but I think the movie quality is very very good in this camera. I downloaded some from dpreview, and I must say picture quality is excellent and there's no tearing when you move your camera. The audio is very good too. (although one of the movies look like a perv shot to me, heheh)

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 69
There's an (announced) adapter for micro 4/3 to M mount, so that area is covered nicely! Though with the 2x crop factor really wide lenses become just regular old wide angle.

What worries me is the lack of a viewfinder. How do you operate the focus/zoom ring while still having the thing far enough for your eye to see the whole screen while maintaining composition? Or is the idea here to shoot at normal focal length (i.e. using the 50mm equivalent prime) and nothing else? Handholding can be hard even with heavy full size bodies, let alone this dinky little thing!

Regardless this thing takes stunning video, to the point where pressing pause gives you a perfect still image, with all the hallmarks of a proper camera.

I really want the silver one with the creme grip, it just oozes retro cool, and it's a serious camera to boot. The retail for the kit with 17mm & viewfinder is $900USD, which is not bad for such a versatile camera.

edit: the sample shots look great even at 100%! I think 90% of people with DSLRs would be covered by this almost pocketable camera.

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #14 of 69
One thing is for sure the E-P1 is sexy. But it's not really a tiny camera. It's quite a bit larger than I thought at first. It's quite large for a point and shoot, but downright small for a DSLR based camera. It's biggest sie advantage is it's overall thinness. Much more bag and (large pocket) friendly. I still have a Pentax *ist DS, and it's one of the smallest DSLR's I've ever used. But it's still too thick to carry in my everyday carry bag. And it's lenses are much larger than the Micro 4/3 lenses.

-Ed

Jun 19, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #15 of 69
It seems a bit overpriced for what it is. But for a first effort, it looks pretty good. It definitely has a bit of sex appeal with the pancake lens.

I'm not sure that I'd personally go for it though. The size is still such that it wouldn't be a "carry everywhere" camera like a P&S. At this point I'm getting along pretty well with a compact (F100fd) and DSLR combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back