Who Here is Tempted by The New Olympus E-P1 Micro 4/3 Camera?
Jun 26, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #46 of 69
I agree. I don't think this camera was rushed, I mean it's pretty much just resuming the PEN tradition over decades ago, not like Nikon/Canon toe to toe.

The viewfinder of course will be washed out in bright sunlight, but it is still usable.
Some people forget all about the joy of taking pictures but instead they are eyeballing test comparisons.

I know this camera has flaws but it's I am sure as heck that this is one fun camera to use. (I don't earn a living from taking picture, so I am not very fussy).

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #47 of 69
Went to the photo exhibition, tried on the Oly with the two lenses. I must say that the LCD has no problem whatsoever. Since some people worry that it doesn't have that much resolution on the paper, but I must say everything is clear, you don't feel like it's not detailed enough.
The people from Olympus is not that dumb to release a camera that has a crappy LCD. They must at least had a look at the prototype and thought the LCD was okay before releasing it.

Focus was okay too. I mean it's not a Nikon+AFS fast, but for example, when you focus at close distance and then you focus back to infinity, it has a delay but it's not slow at all. All in all the camera is very responsive, and I really couldn't find any fault in operating the camera (with day to day general usage in mind).
Switching focus between short and infinity, there is a delay but it's not slow enough to annoy you. Rough guess, I think it's less than 1/2 second.

Also tried the optical viewfinder (the one attached to hotshoe). It doesn't cover the whole actual image, and I think it's only useful if you do a large DOF work and just operate it like when you do street photography when everything is pretty much in focus.
It's just a screen attached to the camera to let you know what are you looking at, no focus confirmation, electronic focus point, etc.

Out of the two lenses, I much much prefer the 17mm one. Many people will find the zoom is more useful, but for me personally, this camera with 17mm will be a perfect street camera and probably the closest thing you can relate to a rangefinder camera.

With 17mm the camera is still considered compact, but the zoom is quite thick considering the slimness of the body.
The only thing I kinda wish was that the body of the 17mm lens is made of metal. I think the mount is metal, but body is plastic or something like the usual standard non-pro primes these days.

This camera has this weird thing that makes you wanna buy it once you play around with it, I don't know why.

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #48 of 69
the pany l1 also attracted buyers (I was one of them, at firesale prices, toward the end).

there's a lot more to USING a cam than how it feels in the hand. I admit, it could be attractive to have a small larger sensor cam like that.

this is a good POC. I'm curious what the first REAL product is. no, I don't count this - it was rushed and more of a proof than a full on 'high sales' model.

otoh, the l1 sold well toward the end when it was right priced.

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:44 PM Post #49 of 69
You seem to have a lot of criticism for a camera that is not even on the shelves yet, let alone owning and properly using one for awhile to at least to be able to judge and give 1/2 objective impressions...

I am willing to bet that this model will sell well without the garage bargain sale.

Now before you are thinking that I am a fanboy (heck my main camera is not even an Oly), looks like I am not the only one who feels this way. If you flick over at DPreview, there is also one thread made by a guy who attended the same show. His main camera is 5dMkII, and he also uses LX3 like me, and like me he also found that the camera is fun to use and didn't really find any major fault at all. He is also pretty impressed with the camera.

I don't know how you can link this camera to L1, it's completely different camera.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #50 of 69
Thanks for the info dj. I'm still debating if I'm going to take the leap with this one. While I'm not a hardcore photographer, my cameras are fairly diverse and in film I shoot with a combination of SLR, rangefinder, dual-lens and pinhole (a wide variety of "viewfinders"). In digital I only have a P&S. The rangefinder size definitely appeals to me, although a pancake closer to 24 instead of 17 would have been nice.

I'll either take the plunge for the E-P1, or head into DSLR territory.

Here are some useful bits of info on the camera I have found:

Olympus E-P1 Digital Camera - Hands-On Preview - The Imaging Resource!

One week of intensive shooting with the E-P1...: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

An interesting gallery of all B&W 6x6 format images taken with it

Zenfolio | Marc Dezemery | Hamburg, Olympus E-P1 shoot

BTW: The camera has reportedly hit the streets in the US.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM Post #51 of 69
If you are using a combination of SLR, rangefinder, etc I am certain that you will appreciate the form factor.
The white one IMO is very sexy. It doesn't have this "Ipod look" but more like a classy white - (if not a tad feminine but then it might be just me).

I think the only way for you to decide on either EP-1 or DLSR is by trying them both. Although I personally think you'd need both of them - EP-1 +17mm for casual, fun street general purpose photography when you travel light, and DSLR with whatever your lens is when you have much critical/specific things to do (that if you plan to get several lens or already own them).

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #52 of 69
Well, I won't be buying both - at least not in the foreseeable future.

The point of the E-P1 (to me) is that it can be both the travel camera and the lens-specific camera, and do both at high quality. My priority for digital is something that travels well on either an international trip, or a hike in the hills - and produces good images for landscapes, architecture, interiors and portraits.

I mainly want to move up to a larger sensor and better lens options for image quality and higher ISO performance.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #53 of 69
If IQ and high ISO performance are your main reasons to buy a new camera, I think you would be better off with a DSLR, but then again it's not that portable.
I am hoping that Oly will release more fast primes for this micro 4/3 format. I think it all depends on how well the EP1 sells.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #54 of 69
The 4/3 system is mainly a Olympus/Panasonic design, but I wonder if Nikon & Canon will get in the game, since it is an open standard.

People get all mad at the 'pixel peepers', but if you consider only image quality at normal light levels, at 800x600 a D50 and a D700 will look exactly the same! Even the crappiest P&S looks stunning when you downsample, so I think carefully poring over sample shots at 100% is very important, especially for a new camera like this.

For travel photography something in this size is perfect--the camera bag will end up being smaller and lighter, and if you like travelling light it only increases your chances of having the right gear on hand to get the shot.

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People get all mad at the 'pixel peepers', but if you consider only image quality at normal light levels, at 800x600 a D50 and a D700 will look exactly the same!

Try shooting in low light without a flash and you'll see completely different images, even downsampled.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #56 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of the two lenses, I much much prefer the 17mm one. Many people will find the zoom is more useful, but for me personally, this camera with 17mm will be a perfect street camera and probably the closest thing you can relate to a rangefinder camera.

This is what I figured. The zoom just looked too bulky for the body, somewhat defeating the point of the whole thing.

Jun 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If IQ and high ISO performance are your main reasons to buy a new camera, I think you would be better off with a DSLR, but then again it's not that portable.

I'm curious why you think a DSLR would be a better choice with that criteria (particularly coupled with the travel use)? Isn't the point of the E-P1 to have a larger sensor and (potentially) better lenses in a compact package?

I found a local shop expecting them in soon, so I'll be able to check it out side-by-side with some DSLRs.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #58 of 69
I personally don't see the E-P1 being a travel camera unless you plan on using a pancake lens with it. If you can, then there you go. Keep a nice prime on it for travel, and have a nice kit for at home.

Thanks for the feedback Dj mocock. Was the camera at all pocketable? Maybe not jeans pocket, but maybe a coat pocket? I'd consider getting this if it could, otherwise I'll stick to my GR-D/GX combo since they both fit in my pockets and I'm more than happy with what they do for me.

Also, pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to manually shoot with this camera? I see the dial on the left side of the camera, but that's an awfully awkward position if that's what it's for.

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #59 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by nineohtoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, pardon my ignorance, but is there a way to manually shoot with this camera? I see the dial on the left side of the camera, but that's an awfully awkward position if that's what it's for.

There is a second dial on the right side of the back of the camera:

topcontrolsright.jpg

Jun 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #60 of 69
I'm really tempted by it, it seems to be a really nice multiple purpose camera. I wouldn't mind a few improvements though - like others have said, it's a shame that they didn't put a better screen on it and an EVF and small flash would have been damn nice too. Have you seen the photoshop job of it?
Olympus E-P1 with built-it flash and EVF mockup | Photo Rumors

Release that camera (with better screen) for like $200 more or so and I'll order one today
smily_headphones1.gif

Might order one anyway though, I had my ol' canon 20d with a tammy 28-75 with me to Spain a little while ago. I would have preferred something smaller and lighter, for sure
smily_headphones1.gif

I've read that some people are less than impressed by the focus speed in general and the quality of the 17mm lens wasn't quite what they had hoped for, they recommend waiting to see how the panny 20mm will do (also, f2.8 isn't that impressive). I really like the idea though, so I might get one and ditch my Canon stuff for now, since they don't want to release a camera with the specifications I want anyway (basically a d700 with canon mount would do...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back