Who Here is Tempted by The New Olympus E-P1 Micro 4/3 Camera?
Jun 22, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #32 of 69
I wonder with the 17mm lens, does it mean that it will be as wide as when you are shooting a film SLR with a 17mm film lens, or do we have to multiply the 17mm with the crop factor, thus making it not that wide anymore?
I think the next lens they should make is the pancake 50mm 1.8 like early Nikon ones. It will probably sell like pancakes too.

Jun 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #33 of 69
With the 2x crop factor, the FOV will be equivalent to a 34mm lens on a full size sensor, so on the P1 it will be like a standard wide angle lens.

I was wondering why the prime they released wasn't 25mm, the 50mm-&-rangefinder body is perfectly in keeping with the history of the Pen series.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #34 of 69
Mark me as interested.

Given what it offers, I think the price isn't bad at all, especially with the leica adapter mentioned already. It opens up a lot of possibilities. It's also perfect for someone like me who doesn't care so much about picture perfect photos, but having something compact that I can do what I want with. Not to discount this camera as a simple compact camera, it seems very capable. This is made for the street photographer who wants to be discreet, and not stand out with his gear.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #35 of 69
It's cheaper than D90 with kit lens and only a bit more compared to entry level DSLR kit lens, so I think price wise it's very reasonable. (don't compare it to P&S or prosumer cameras, because this is not one - many people seem to confuse this as another P&S)

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #37 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mochimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont know guys. after looking at many many dp2 samples and comparing them to those from this camera...

Huh? What camera?

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #38 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by mochimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont know guys. after looking at many many dp2 samples and comparing them to those from this camera...

I took a look at the DP2, but it doesn't seem to get good feedback on speed and usability. Plus, it only puts out 4MP images. I don't doubt that the images it puts out are high quality, but I haven't seen comparable pictures by both for comparison. Since it's the closest thing out there to the E-P1, I expect we'll see comparison pics once the E-P1 hits the streets.

Conceptually, the DP2 is what I'm interested in, but it appears to have more shortcomings than the E-P1 (it shares the E-P1's major issues - no flash, no viewfinder and lower res LCD) and lacks the flexibility of using other lenses.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #39 of 69
I'm a big oly fan/shooter but I have a wait-and-see view on this.

no flash. no VF. no lens inventory to really buy. while I have lots of 4/3 oly lenses, they make 'no sense' on this camera, even with an adapter.

this is a first example or proof of concept (POC). the 2nd and 3rd will be the real cam.

pany tested the market with an l1 and l10. this model also seems like an intro/test.

I'll pass unless its 1/4 price on some firesale (my l1 was a firesale price and I bought one; but then sold it a few months later once the bug bit)
wink.gif

they really missed by not having a VF. no serious photog will shoot at arms length (only).

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #40 of 69
The lack of a viewfinder does make me a bit uncertain. I'm curious how popular primes with viewfinder add-ons, like the 17 kit lens, will be. The lack of a flash isn't as big of a deal for me, but, as mentioned, the lack of bounce capability in the optional compact flash is a mis-fire for Olympus.

Interestingly, I was going through my old camera stuff and (for reasons unknown to me) I have one of the original Olympus Pen CL (CordLess - i.e. hotshoe) flash units. I don't have a Pen camera and I don't have any bulbs for it. It doesn't rotate for bounce either, but it's quite small.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #44 of 69
I've NEVER seen any kind of lcd that does not wash out in sunlight.

one photo member asked, once, what cam should she get for a trip to israel.

its hella sunny there. I've never seen pics of people that did NOT have sunglasses on, in that region
wink.gif

so I had to recommend a canon compact since it was the only one with an OVF.

even lcd screen shades (I have some) dont' help in sunlight.

I can make-do but for THIS price? sorry - it was rushed to market too soon. they also NEED to have a fill flash onboard. NEED. not an option, oly.

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #45 of 69
^This camera wasn't rushed to the market to soon, it's just not made for you.

Some people don't understand that these cameras aren't for everyone. The Ricohs, the Sigmas, and all the other stuff the Japanese street photographers go gaga over are very niche. The people who use these don't plan on treating it like a miniature SLR like some of you do.

Because of that, I don't see this camera being very popular stateside. Everyone here is mostly all about being mega professional(or at least looking), and more concerned about their lenses/equipment and the details of their photos than the actual act of photographing those captivating and memorable moments.

Before anyone gets defensive: I'm pretty sure the majority of the Asian Photography market is just as I described our own. It's just that there seems to be a larger, or more noticeable community over there than here that just have fun and shoot, rather than sit around looking at pixels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back