Who has an end game setup?
Jul 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #406 of 834
Differences between DAC's isn't as high as amp's or headphones itself, just keep that in mind. That said, DS you're far far away from having an end game rig, hi-fi speaking wise, but end game on a personal enjoyment level, sure.

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM Post #407 of 834
im far from endgame but endgame dac for now, i think yes

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #409 of 834
Quote:
Differences between DAC's isn't as high as amp's or headphones itself, just keep that in mind. That said, DS you're far far away from having an end game rig, hi-fi speaking wise, but end game on a personal enjoyment level, sure.

Then it means you are not at the end game yet - where every little thing will make a difference :)

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:33 AM Post #410 of 834
Quote:
im far from endgame but endgame dac for now, i think yes

I lol'd
Quote:
Then it means you are not at the end game yet - where every little thing will make a difference :)

Nah. 
wink_face.gif

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #411 of 834
Haven't purchased anything since getting JH16s a couple years ago (I was in line for a JH3A, then that fell through).  Got a Woo Audio amp and a few other things gathering dust in the garage.  Main reason being, I want portability and that means I didn't want anything beyond the IEM and the player -- there was too little appreciable difference on the rest.  At home I've since moved to speaker setups, which I've also reached a reasonable parity with (pair of Salk HTL-1 speakers and high-end Denon receiver, some room correction).  It's not worth spending any more money unless I want to buy a house and get a dedicated audio room set up.

Jul 23, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #412 of 834
Quote:
Differences between DAC's isn't as high as amp's or headphones itself,

Thats true in my experience too. As long as you have a good dac I would put the focus on amps and headphones. 

For e.g, I've a/b my twenty year old Arcam black box dac to the newer arcam RDac many times. Considering the supposed technological progress with dac chips and their implementation, theres not much difference. The older dac is a fraction more musical and warmer, the newer- a smidge tighter and brighter but these differences are very subtle. And the difference in using 24bit over 16bit is not even worth mentioning.

I have 3 current dacs that I use regularly and I really don't care which one is being used for which amp etc. Because they all sound great. Any dac that has its own sound or character isn't doing its job properly if you ask me.   

Jul 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #413 of 834
I've upgraded from two well thought of budget DACs to a considerably more expensive one and I think the difference is immense. In my limited experience, I find the DAC to be as important a part of the chain as the amp.

Jul 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #414 of 834
IMO DefQon is correct. The relationship between amp and diaphragm is itegrigal as long as the DAC is capable, most DACs nowadays are much better and you don't have to go sky high for excellent performance.
I had the same DAC for over 3 years whilst I made substantial headphone and amp upgrades, dynamic through to stats, I never felt my modest DAC (Buffalo32) was a limiting component. Only recently with the BHSE and 007 MK1s have I upgraded to a Buffalo IIISE, the improvements are fairly obvious, that said the old DAC was no slouch.

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #415 of 834
Quote:

End game doesn't necessarily mean you need to go out and buy the most expensive crap on the market (not to mention all those fake spec bs floating around with amps). You can have a person with million dollar speaker setup that would sound good to them but crap to another listener. As I said at the start, end game is more of a personal level enjoyment from your setup rather than bragging rights and comparing johnson sizes to see who has the most expensive/quantity setup.

Jul 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #416 of 834
End game doesn't necessarily mean you need to go out and buy the most expensive crap on the market (not to mention all those fake spec bs floating around with amps). You can have a person with million dollar speaker setup that would sound good to them but crap to another listener. As I said at the start, end game is more of a personal level enjoyment from your setup rather than bragging rights and comparing johnson sizes to see who has the most expensive/quantity setup.

+1

Jul 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #417 of 834

Perfect. +1

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #418 of 834
Currently settled on Audio-GD Ref10.32 with HD800 / W3000ANV.

I will be upgrading my computer a.k.a transport soon though for gaming needs. So do I still qualified for "end game setup" as long as above items above stay?

:D

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #420 of 834
Subscribed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back