Who has an end game setup?
Jul 24, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #421 of 834
Currently settled on Audio-GD Ref10.32 with HD800 / W3000ANV.

I will be upgrading my computer a.k.a transport soon though for gaming needs. So do I still qualified for "end game setup" as long as above items above stay?

:D

I would say that you certainly qualify as long as you have had your audio setup for more than 6 months and more importantly that the feeling there's somethingmmissing is gone.
In that case, congratulations! You are one of the few here. I'm not included either:)

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #422 of 834
Quote:
Currently settled on Audio-GD Ref10.32 with HD800 / W3000ANV.

I will be upgrading my computer a.k.a transport soon though for gaming needs. So do I still qualified for "end game setup" as long as above items above stay?

:D

That's similar to what I have. I've since stopped upgrading. I have a Zana Deux SE though. I highly recommend it. 
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #423 of 834
I think I have approached end game. I never thought Stax was my end game but it sounds amazing to me. 

I have a Buffalo III, SRM717 amp and SR007 MK1 and very happy with it.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #424 of 834
I think the real question (actually a completely different discussion) is whether anyone has seriously approached electrostatics (or perhaps even orthodynamics) and went back to a traditional dynamics.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #425 of 834
Quote:
I would say that you certainly qualify as long as you have had your audio setup for more than 6 months and more importantly that the feeling there's somethingmmissing is gone.
In that case, congratulations! You are one of the few here. I'm not included either:)

beerchug.gif

Quote:

That's similar to what I have. I've since stopped upgrading. I have a Zana Deux SE though. I highly recommend it. 
wink.gif

You are an evil
evil_smiley.gif

Hahaha I'm not a tube person *luckily I'm not*

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #426 of 834
I think the real question (actually a completely different discussion) is whether anyone has seriously approached electrostatics (or perhaps even orthodynamics) and went back to a traditional dynamics.

I doubt I'll ever try electrostatics but since picking up the LCD-2 my T1's don't get any head time. They'll be appearing in the for sale forum very soon.

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #427 of 834
Quote:

That would be me.
Stax009/WES upgraded>>>>moved to Pinnacle/HD800s/LCD3s.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #428 of 834
Quote:
I think I have approached end game. I never thought Stax was my end game but it sounds amazing to me. 

I have a Buffalo III, SRM717 amp and SR007 MK1 and very happy with it.

Glad you are enjoying the SRM-717 as it is a stellar amp.  You may want to seek out the KGSSHV as I heard it is a great match with the SR007.  

I think the real question (actually a completely different discussion) is whether anyone has seriously approached electrostatics (or perhaps even orthodynamics) and went back to a traditional dynamics.

Well, it is a tough challenge to best the SR-009+BHSE or the Orpheus System, but my R10 & Qualia are able to do it in some genres.  More or less a side step, IMO.  With that said, the top end dynamics are capable of playing in the Stats league as well as long as you have a really good amp.

Jul 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #431 of 834
I doubt I'll ever try electrostatics but since picking up the LCD-2 my T1's don't get any head time. They'll be appearing in the for sale forum very soon.

Isn't that strange? My ears prefer the T1's , although I have 3 electrostats too. I moved from lcd2's to hd800's then on to stax then got the T1's a month ago. Oh :)dear.....

It's probably cheaper and far less complicated for you to stick to the dynamics. But is it more fun?

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #433 of 834
Glad you are enjoying the SRM-717 as it is a stellar amp.  You may want to seek out the KGSSHV as I heard it is a great match with the SR007.  

Well, it is a tough challenge to best the SR-009+BHSE or the Orpheus System, but my R10 & Qualia are able to do it in some genres.  More or less a side step, IMO.  With that said, the top end dynamics are capable of playing in the Stats league as well as long as you have a really good amp.

The mdr10 remains a headphone I'd love to hear. It's a closed headphone too so it has some big advantages over it's rivals that leak like a sieve. It also seems extra unique in that Sony rarely grace our forum other than for this beauty.
The only thing it can't do is make an ipod sing without some equally fine amping.
(I know it seems sacrilege to even mention such things)
Anyone own a jh or ciem and also the mdr10? Do they kick the ciem's butt out of the door?

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #434 of 834
Quote:
beerchug.gif

You are an evil
evil_smiley.gif

Hahaha I'm not a tube person *luckily I'm not*

Hey, ZDSE doesn't sound "tubey." After using some tube amps, such as some various Woos, I thought solid was the way to go, but I took a chance on the ZDSE after reading some recommendations. It sounds just as detailed as any solid state I've heard except it seems to increase the level of warmth a tad bit. I guess you can't generalize tubes and solid states but the ZDSE is the cheapest tube amp I've heard that's as detailed as solid state. It's also a nice heater.

Quote:
The mdr10 remains a headphone I'd love to hear. It's a closed headphone too so it has some big advantages over it's rivals that leak like a sieve. 

The R10 is in a class like the Beyer T1s in terms of design. You can find many posts in regards to this on the forum. Some people at the SF meet a few years ago heard the R10 and I did too. We came out thinking, "This is a closed headphone?" Not in that it doesn't sound airy. It obviously does, but I don't remember it blocking even a small amount of noise. I brought my W11R along and there's no real point in doing a sound isolation comparison. Whether it's your end game, is a different matter. I think it was incredibly ingenius that some Sony engineer thought, "Hey, the waste product of this bacteria will make an excellent headphone diagram!" If only Sony was still as innovative.

Jul 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #435 of 834
R10 isn't really closed - it's ported.  It can be really hard to see, but there's a gap between the wooden cups and the black plastic ring that the pivots attach to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back