Who has an end game setup?
Aug 24, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #796 of 834

It takes a certain tube set but I can't find any weakness in the Teton. If you haven't tried this amp with hd800's I highly suggest it. Def. becoming my endgame.

The HD800 is stellar IMO.  I have the ECP L2, but the prototype ECP DSHA-0 is even better with the HD800.

Aug 25, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #797 of 834
  The HD800 is stellar IMO.  I have the ECP L2, but the prototype ECP DSHA-0 is even better with the HD800.

I tried to get an ECP amp but it was not in the cards. If there is any faults in the Teton, it is very revealing of tubes. Any sort of microphonics and it is over with. Lost quite a bit of $$$ off tubes that were barely microphonic in my peak/volcano and wheatfield ha-2 but tremendously microphonic in the Teton.

I also have to disagree with skylab on not needing totl tubes. In my opinion you really do need totl tubes to make the Teton sing. A 6sn7w is mandatory with this amp for sure. The Teton will sound good, even great off cheaper tubes but to really make it sing requires a 422a, gec 6as7g, and 6sn7w. After that is in place I feel confident putting the hd800 up against any headphone.

Sep 7, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #798 of 834
Hello guys with the best headphone gear available!
I wonder if anyone have had some experience with both the peak/volcano and any of the ECP amps ?
How do the 2 compare?
Thanks

Sep 8, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #799 of 834
I wonder if anyone have had some experience with both the peak/volcano and any of the ECP amps ?
How do the 2 compare?
Thanks

I have owned the peak/volcano for over a year. It is better for planars, think lcd-2,3, he1k, Ether. I have not heard the ecp's yet but they are much better for hd800's, t1's,hd600's. I'm selling my peak/volcano for a really low price. 6sn7w tube is what you want for the peak/volcano. Short bottle black bases go for $100 and tall bottle metal base go for $200. A tube should last you many years, even a decade.

Oct 20, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #801 of 834
How do the 2 compare?
Thanks

The ECP amps are very subtle, smooth and absolutely black background...really excellent with HD800 or TH900 or Grados...any dynamic!
I don't think they are designed to drive planers...

Oct 21, 2015 at 8:58 AM Post #802 of 834
  I found I almost reached endgame setup today.

Marantz SA11S3 > Luxman P-700u > modded HD800(classical) and TH900(rock pop)

Finally I have reached the Head fi Nirvana! (BGM Mahler symp. #2!)

Almost? Hi Pokemonn welcome to this most cherished and hopefully friendliest of threads. I must not be there yet because I'm not hooked on Mahler , Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi and Handel amongst my favourites. Have you heard Voca Me by Liberia? 

Please tell me how this sounds on your setup. Or perhaps if you like it you could find it on audio and listen to it in it's full glory

Or Road to Chicago from Thomas Newmans' Road to Perdition

One track for vocals and air

The second track for Piano and depth

Congratulations if you are ready to put your hands in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

Trev

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #803 of 834
Hello Takeanidea!

first sorry for my bad english.
its almost, because I have not heard/auditioned Hifiman HE1000 yet.
I have to, becouse so many people recommend them.
I am planning to audition HE1000 soon at local audio shops.
I also hope that Hifiman will sell more great headphones.
I hope Sennhiser will also sell successor of HD800 near future.

I listened to Voca Me by Libera, Thank you for recommendations!
It sounds heavenly with my setup! “Road to Perdition” sounds rich and real.

Thank you!

Oct 21, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #805 of 834
Pop Country music is normally not the number one on my list but i heard some Alison Krauss recordings on several HighEnd presentations.
Not all of her track´s are perfect recording quality but "Sinking Stone" or "It Doesn´t Matter" is spectacular sounding to me.

The instrumentation of Guitar, Banjo, Fiddle paired with her crystal clear Voice sound superb on Headphone and my MartinLogan Loudspeaker system.

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #806 of 834

@jude  use this disk as his reference. i also own this. very scary real sound recording.good disk for check your endgame setups.
beerchug.gif

Oct 23, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #807 of 834
  I do prefer my SR009+BHSE/T2 over the HD800+amp of choice for sure.  Couple of my friends are also in the same agreement with me.  Despite that statement, I do love the HD800.  I love it so much that I can't find a good reason to sell them.  Just like many of you, I discovered that a properly amped HD800 is pretty spectacular.  In fact, it so good that it makes the Hifiman HE1000 not a good buy at $3000.  Sadly, many will give up on the HD800 too early so they are really missing out on what this headphones can do.  I have tried Mr. Speaker Ether in my rig, and I prefer the HD800 over it as well.  I have tried many top-end balanced amps for the HD800 and the best results so far is out of the ECP DSHA-0 (prototype) following closely by a three way ties between the Headroom Home Balanced Amp, Susy Dynahi, and ECP L2.  The GS-X MKII is just a tad below that.     

I'm dragging up stuff from the past, but I really agree with this - a well built Susy Dynahi + HD800's really is special (but I can't stress enough: if the D-hi is done right).  

For me, I feel like the Stratus + HD800's is 'end game' worthy and I've had mine for quite a while now and it still goes toe to toe with anything else I've heard so far.  To me, it just does so little wrong.  The HD800's are like the little headphones that could. At least with modern flagship prices. 

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #808 of 834
I am not sure if my two rigs are "end game" setups, but I have had my dynamic rig for 10 years -- with the HD650 (80% of my listening) and a Grado RS-1.  This summer, I added an LCD-2F and an HD800.

I also added a Stax rig this summer.

If I have to retain only one headphone regardless of price, it would be the HD650.  Not the best in every category, but very comfortable, reliable, and well rounded.

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #809 of 834
  I am not sure if my two rigs are "end game" setups, but I have had my dynamic rig for 10 years -- with the HD650 (80% of my listening) and a Grado RS-1.  This summer, I added an LCD-2F and an HD800.

I also added a Stax rig this summer.

If I have to retain only one headphone regardless of price, it would be the HD650.  Not the best in every category, but very comfortable, reliable, and well rounded.

Your HD650 is probably the most tonally balanced out of all of them. Try the SR007! to me they are like HD650 but on steroids. :wink:

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #810 of 834
Your HD650 is probably the most tonally balanced out of all of them. Try the SR007! to me they are like HD650 but on steroids. :wink:

Already did 10 years ago. Also bought an HE90 and Qualia 010, all sold in favor of the HD650. This summer, also bought and returned an HEK and Ether. I have yet to try an Abyss and LCD4 (I really like the LCD2 so far).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back