Who DOESN'T like the Panasonic HJE900?
Nov 11, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #16 of 41
I guarantee you that you can go to any forum and start a topic "who doesn't like [insert relevant product]" and you will get haters no matter HOW good something is. Even if it's not a biased question, like "post your opinion", people who dislike something are motivated to post more than those who like it. So if anything, take negative reviews a little less seriously as chances are if you have a lot of good reviews and a few bad reviews, the bad reviews are the very vocal minority who received a bad product or are very picky (unless you're convincing yourself not to buy something
biggrin.gif
). JM2¢.

Nov 11, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #17 of 41
Recessed mids and them possible being harsh or having sibilance is what they can be if no foam mod is done. I guarantee you that if you read the appreciation thread you will find people who do not like the HJE900 and people who do. There just is no product that will satisfy all.

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #18 of 41
If I didn't have experience with se530, i would have liked it more.
but I just can't keep them in my ears, knowing that my se530 is not being used instead... =(

on my rockboxed fuze, hje900 sounds good but still se530 is my favorite
it's very good value if you get one for 80 bucks

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #20 of 41

Take a loot at this comparison in case you missed it
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521977/hifiman-re0-vs-panasonic-hje900-vs-nuforce-ne-7m-review

HJE900 are nice, but i find them a bit overrated. Sold mine without regrets
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:
 For the record, I'm also considering the Brainwavz M2/M3 right now. 

Well, personally i like R04 (Brainwavz M3 is rebranded Visang R04) more then panas. Cable is better (and longer!), iems themselves are lighter, it's easy to get good fit, there is no sibilance, bass is not so overpowering (no so fast either though)

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #21 of 41

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521977/hifiman-re0-vs-panasonic-hje900-vs-nuforce-ne-7m-review

HJE900 are nice, but i find them a bit overrated. Sold mine without regrets
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, personally i like R04 (Brainwavz M3 is rebranded Visang R04) more then panas. Cable is better (and longer!), iems themselves are lighter, it's easy to get good fit, there is no sibilance, bass is not so overpowering (no so fast either though)

Woah, I actually disagree with that review a lot. I think the HJE900s are superior to the NE-6/7 in both resolution and soundstage, to me the HJE900s just weren't worth the money for the improvement and the mids were way to recessed and boring. The sound of the HJE900s was so smoothed over that it lacked microdetail, but they were still better in terms of clarity overall, the NE-6/7s can be a bit messy. I prefer the NE-6s over the HJE900s just because they are flatter, have more engaging mids, and are a better bang for the buck, but the I have to say that the HJE900s are technically superior even if they are overpriced! 

Here are my thoughts over @ ABI:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57821

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #23 of 41

Quote:
If the mids are recessed - Couldn't you just boost the mids using the EQ??

Yes, but they are really smoothed over/boring and lacking in micro-detail no matter what you do. . . . you don't buy these for the mids, but the bass if anything. 

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #24 of 41

Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Whoa. No offense but that poster makes the NE-6 sound like the best thing since sliced bread. They are nice if you like a very colored sound but honestly they aren't that good. Clarity and resolution definitely lag a full step (if not more) behind the HJE900s.

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #25 of 41
Is anyone paying attention to the non-sound aspect, ie the fact that these phones are basically invincible? 8 on the Mohs scale, replaceable thick cables, etc? If you don't judge IEMs by how long they last, you must not be very hard on them... It would be like buying a cell phone only because of the sound quality. 
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #26 of 41
Their housing is nicely built but the cables do not impress me. Whoever designed them obviously was thinking of people who are 122cm or shorter. The cable has memory, microphonics and the metal connecting to the housing is too long for proper over the ear use. If they had a cable that was longer with a shorter metal connector it would be better. Also their chin slider is useless. The HJE900 does look very nice however.

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #27 of 41

Quote:
Their housing is nicely built but the cables do not impress me. Whoever designed them obviously was thinking of people who are 122cm or shorter. The cable has memory, microphonics and the metal connecting to the housing is too long for proper over the ear use. If they had a cable that was longer with a shorter metal connector it would be better. Also their chin slider is useless. The HJE900 does look very nice however.

twiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiist it. 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #29 of 41
Out of the box, I thought they were terrible. Treble was harsh, the mids recessed and the bass muddy but it got substantial better after burn-in, and even better after some EQing. The sound is "V" shaped, so the mids will be part of the background, and other sounds will be more forward. But be patient, and you will be rewarded :)

Things the HJE900 lack. Transparency, and clarity.
Things that make the HJE900 great: 3D-like depth, and deep punchy bass.

If I compare it with the similarly priced RE0 ($75), I would say the HJE900 provides a very detailed bottom-end while the RE0 provided a very refined high-end. In the end, it really depends on what kind of music you listen too. If you listen bass heavy music like Dash Berlin and Nujabes mostly, I would get the HJE900. If you watch a lot of action/adventure movies, I would get the HJE900. If you listen to rock, I would go for the HJE900. If you listen to orchestral and piano music, I would look elsewhere. If you listen to John Mayer, Bruno Mars, Coldplay and Josh Groban, I would not choose the HJE900. When you play those tracks, you don't get the shivers when they sing. It just doesn't have that sparkle you would find in the RE0. Also the Panny's are not transparent so the music is more in your head, making it sound less natural. I prefer out-of-head soundstage that makes the performance sound live. If you listen to Kpop or Jpop, the bass sounds amazing on the HJE900 but the vocals sound too recessed to make it sound good. The mids do come more forward after a bit of burn in. Some people say the treble is harsh, but I was able to relieve the harshness by using a pair of foamies instead of the stock tips. The stock tips suck and they are too hard too provide good isolation. Exchange them immediately.

Overall, the Pannys are really good but only for certain types of music. If your music library is a melting pot of everything, then I would suggest getting other headphones.

My Review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/521977/hifiman-re0-vs-panasonic-hje900-vs-nuforce-ne-7m-review

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #30 of 41

Quote:
Quote:
smily_headphones1.gif

Whoa. No offense but that poster makes the NE-6 sound like the best thing since sliced bread. They are nice if you like a very colored sound but honestly they aren't that good. Clarity and resolution definitely lag a full step (if not more) behind the HJE900s.

Haha, maybe you're right! I do like my nuforce very much so I could be a bit biased, but unfortunately the left side crapped out on me completely today.. :frowning2:
Can't compare them anymore now. Well, they're definitely not RE0 good, but $34 is a whole lot cheaper than $75! On a scale between sound/price, the nuforce are really tough to beat :p

I did more listening to my Panny's today and I found that they sound even better than before. Mids are still too recessed and underpowered, but any of you plan to buy these: Patience is the key!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back