Whisky (or Whiskey) Fi
Jan 13, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #710 of 1,413
Happy New Year to All - I hope that 2017 finds you happy, in good health, and in good spirits!

Just had to report back on tasting notes of the Pappy Van Winkle (2016) 20-yr bourbon.  It is simply the best bourbon that I've ever tasted. Ultimate smoothness and an exceptional palate.  So far, we've identified notes of chocolate, spearmint, clove, and orange. Net, the most complex bourbon that I've tasted.  Even beats the George T. Stagg (2014) that I was lucky to acquire a couple years ago.

Cheers,
RCB

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #711 of 1,413
I have a decent collection of Whisky, having a family that has a strong Scottish element means that I travel to Scotland every year or two. I always have to bring a bottle of Scotland's finest back to Australia with me.

I have been enjoying a bottle of aberlour 18Y.O.

I only recently got into Cognac, My first experience with it was a bottle of Hennessy V.S, which was basically like drinking liquefied black pepper. I bought a bottle of Courvoisier V.S.O.P which turned out to be extremely pleasant, so much so I recently bought a Bottle of Courvoisier XO which should be promising.

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #713 of 1,413
Courvoisier X.O is aged from 11 to 25 years...so i'd say it's too late, I had a glass of it last night it was spectacular.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #714 of 1,413
Any suggestions for a newbie? Ive tried one whisky. A dalwhinnie 15 year single malt. It was very strong. But after a few days of trying it, i could manage to drink it.
But with 50% water. Which is a huge improvement. It is also really good with coke zero. Is that considered blasphemy in the whisky world?

I cant drink beer or wine, so ive taken to spirits. Started with rum, which i now love. And now i want to get into whisky. But its so much harder to drink than rum.
Was it like that for all of you? Or did you just taste it and it was good just like that? Or did you have to get used to it?

I live in Norway, so keep that in mind when suggesting something. So it cant be US only, hehe.
Thanks in advance :)

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #715 of 1,413
Each region of Scotland has a kinda profile, Islay gets real smokey from peat, Lowlands are light and floral, Dalwhinnie is a Speyside which is usually more complex and rich. What rums do you like? Macallan's offerings can get a little dark and molasses-like, IME. I'm really no expert though :p... a good salesman should be able to help.

Feb 2, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #716 of 1,413
  Each region of Scotland has a kinda profile, Islay gets real smokey from peat, Lowlands are light and floral, Dalwhinnie is a Speyside which is usually more complex and rich. What rums do you like? Macallan's offerings can get a little dark and molasses-like, IME. I'm really no expert though :p... a good salesman should be able to help.

Complex and rich, i assume is not the best for beginners?

I like the Kraken. its a dark rum, thats sweet but not sugary sweet. I also like one thats called appleton estate, it reminds me of cognac, just a bit sweeter.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #717 of 1,413

Complex and rich, i assume is not the best for beginners?

I like the Kraken. its a dark rum, thats sweet but not sugary sweet. I also like one thats called appleton estate, it reminds me of cognac, just a bit sweeter.

Kraken rum is dangerous; it slips down far too easily! It reminds me of the (now discontinued) Loch Dhu black whisky.

If you want a good "all rounder" single malt, get a bottle of Highland Park. It is a proper quality dram, and at a reasonable price in most territories too.

I'm an Islay and Speyside fan in particular, but variety is important. You don't want to get stuck in one regional style, because there's so much good stuff around. In fact, more and more countries outside the traditional ones are making whisky these days.

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #718 of 1,413
Like someone else said each region has kind of it's own style, obviously with exceptions. I would say the more approachable region is Speyside. Also, the one with the most distilleries. That being said, for some reason I always like to recommend Highland Park 12 to beginners. I find it's quite an approachable dram for someone who is starting out in the whisky world. Also since you like sweet I would maybe suggest a sherried whisky. There are sherried whiskies, smokey whiskies, fruity whiskies, light and floral whiskies; you just need to find what flavor profile you prefer.

As per mixing whisky with coke or whatever else, I would say stay away from it when doing a proper tasting. But when you are drinking for pleasure, don't pay attention to the whisky snobs, drink it how you like it. You paid for it anyways.

I am pretty sure Norway has an active whisky community, so trying finding local clubs. That's the best way to learn.

EDIT:
Sherried whiskies to try: GlenDronach 12, Balvenie, Aberlour

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #719 of 1,413
Balvenie 14 year Carribean Cask might be right up your alley! The sherry cask options is a good call as well :) - it'll add a bit of sweetness to the profile and round things out.

Feb 6, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #720 of 1,413
Thanks for all the suggestions! 

I ended up buying a small bottle of jack daniels, but that stuff smells excactly like nail polish remover.
Only bought it because my local goverment booze place only had expensive ones in large bottles available.
Very dissapoiting stuff. It was only drinkable with coke, not because it was strong, but because it tasted weird.

Is Jack Daniels considered the "coors light" of whiskys? It kinda felt like that. 

Here all sales of booze thats above 4.5% is only sold at goverment owned shops.
But they can order in for me from their central warehouse for me, at no expense.

So im gonna search their database for some smaller bottles of what you suggested :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back