Which would you get? Dt990 Pros or Ultrasone DJ1?
Dec 5, 2011 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

ineedmorebase

500+ Head-Fier
Please anwser ALL of the questions I make, please :)!

So I'm looking for GOOD headphones to use with my computer, specifically with the fiio E10 Dac/amp (or do you reccomend another dac for under 100?).

I've had the Triple Fi 10s so sound quality/clarity is a must, i sold them because they have good bass, but not great bass which is what i needed, ive also had the miles davis tributes which have great bass, but not AMAZING BASS and not greaaat clarity/quality compared to the triple 10s.

So i want an all rounder i guess but with some really kickass bass, because i might get the Zo2 if the bass proves to not be enough.

So for GAMING (shooters, MMOs, RPGs etc etc. basically immersion)

and

Most of my music is VERY bass oriented/focused, as in Trance, dubstep, house, with kickass bass lines and huge sub bass needs like for:

http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/53428158/file.html = sub bass @ 0:58 and a kickass starting bassline with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7YR77jHwQ

thanks again! i only have 175 to spend on headphones.

Dec 5, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 30
If the choice is between DJ1 and DT990 Pro, with respect to your equipment, I will have to pick the DJ1. DT990 Pro needs much better props to sound the fullest, and the bass is not comparable with that of closed. However I recommend you to try on the Ultrasone HFI-780 too, it's as easy to drive as the DJ1 and cost just a lil' more.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 30

Quote:
If the choice is between DJ1 and DT990 Pro, with respect to your equipment, I will have to pick the DJ1. DT990 Pro needs much better props to sound the fullest, and the bass is not comparable with that of closed. However I recommend you to try on the Ultrasone HFI-780 too, it's as easy to drive as the DJ1 and cost just a lil' more.

i read that the 580 has "more" bass than the 780 but the 780 has some better quality and i can find some 780 for 125$...what do ya think?

fiio e10 + hfi 780 = awesome?

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 30

Quote:

just read this:

"Well if you want bass then I think that the HFI-580s will be the best. According to the threads here, they are incredible for your main genres. In fact, I am looking to buy 1 myself, but am unable to do so due to my low budget. The HFI-780s are known to be more neutral, and will probably not have the bass you are looking."

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 30
The DT860's are probably what you're looking for if you want clarity and bass.  They're a little higher than your asking budget, but that's what I wholeheartedly recommend.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 30

Quote:
The DT860's are probably what you're looking for if you want clarity and bass.  They're a little higher than your asking budget, but that's what I wholeheartedly recommend.

Interesting...what's their impendance? keep in mind that at this price i can buy the Zo2 if i get one of the other ones which will greatly improve them.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 30
DJ line and HFI line from Ultrasone are never as neutral as the PRO and they aren't meant for monitoring - so just pick the one you like, they are so easy to drive and will sounds fantastic on any props. I use mine on my mobile and it did the job well beyond one can imagine. Exception is DJ1 Pro which is a working phone and requires much powerful amp, but that's not on your list luckily.

Quote:

I never had the chance to try DT860 too. From info it seems that it's an easy driving phone being offer by Beyer - don't know how it sounded tho.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #8 of 30
Dec 5, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 30

A note: Verdict

It’s tough to decide between these two, as each are exceptionally good headphones. Though it’s true that the Beyerdynamic DT 860s don’t score as well in some categories, the differences between the two are so relatively minor that the human ear will have a hard time discerning the difference between the two. Because both are so close in price point at the moment, this comparison may come down to simple aesthetic or comfort preferences, so as cliche as it sounds, this one is entirely up to you. You can’t go wrong with either here.

Both headphones are extremely similar in terms of frequency response, though the DT 990 PROs don’t have the same swing in the sibilance range that the Beyerdynamic DT 860s do. The DT 860s do manage to have a flatter response throughout the bass frequencies though, so users looking for a more even response may prefer the DT 860.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 30

Quote:
You need to try them on yourself to do justice - and for a price that cheap why don't you get both?

I dont have a job, im 17, and i cant try them, i live in puerto rico. only good things here are the speakers/subs, not headphones. so yeah...blah.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #12 of 30
My two reccomendations for gaming/music w/a emphasis on bass is Fischer FA-011 and Ultrasone DJ1 Pro/Pro 550.  

Pro 550 vs HFI 780 - Pros have more bass, slightly better soundstage and more forward mids and more comfortable.  780's have slightly better detail but at the expense of having harsher highs.

Fichers are warmer with smooth highs and slightly better soundstage, Ultrasones a bit brighter and better bass extension/impact.  Both work extremely well with gaming and electronica (I prefer Ultrasone for the music).  Neither require too much power (moreso the Fischers but e10 should run them fine).  Ultrasones are $150ish on Amazon now, Fischers $140 shipped from gdaudiobase.

I've used both for many FPS, RTS types of games no issues picking up directionality, subtle sounds (supressed shots, footsteps/movement sounds in BF3)

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
My two reccomendations for gaming/music w/a emphasis on bass is Fischer FA-011 and Ultrasone DJ1 Pro/Pro 550.  

Fichers are warmer with smooth highs and slightly better soundstage, Ultrasones a bit brighter and better bass extension/impact.  Both work extremely well with gaming and electronica (I prefer Ultrasone for the music).  Neither require too much power (moreso the Fischers but e10 should run them fine).  Ultrasones are $150ish on Amazon now, Fischers $140 shipped from gdaudiobase.

i thought the pros had less bass? and what if u had the ability to buy the 780 at 125$ as slightly used?

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 30
lol just read this: 

"P.S. I prefer the sounds of my Audio-Technica-ath m50s over the HFI-780s...I feel like I've found the perfect under $200 headphones (M50s)... "

Users who are viewing this thread

Back