Which USB DAC/amp combo for first time budget buyer
Oct 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hark3n

New Head-Fier
Hi there head-fiers (that doesn't sound right),

I've been lurking around this site for a good couple of years now, learning stuff and generally just drooling over some of you okes' setups. So, after many moons of wondering and deciding, I have finally made up my mind and decided to buy myself a good set of cans. More specifically, the Sennheiser HD 439's. I know, not the best out there, but all that my measly budget allows.

Now I have also come to the realisation that I would need a decent (very subjective term that) headphone DAC/amp to really get the most out of my headphones.

My music listening habits is mainly in front of my home or work pc, so the USB interface is a must. Optical isn't that necessary, but would be nice. 24/96 is also high up, but I might be willing to let that slip. Music styles is mainly metal, with a helping of some heavy classical music when the mood strikes me.

Now, money wise I'm limited to about ZAR1500, or $150 for the rest of the world. I'm in Cape Town, South Africa, so postage would have to be included.

Currently I have narrowed down my choices to the following 4 DAC's. These are obviously not the only ones out there in my budget, but they are they one that caught my eye.

So, people of Head-Fi, what do you suggest? Am I being a complete idiot in thinking that I can get something decent for this price, or are there hope still?

Thanks in advance for all the wonderfull advice that you guys will bestow upon me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back