Which SoundMagic? PL 11, 12, 18 or 20?
Jan 6, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #48 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the customer image for the PL20 make it look like a Y cord

Indeed. But my PL20 definitely have a J cord, here is a picture:

I got them from mp4nation.net, maybe there are different versions.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #49 of 65
Good news everyone, focalprice said the ones that they generally ship out are Y cords, and if requested, they can ship out J cords for a slightly higher price.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm ordering one now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #50 of 65
I don't know whether to applaud Focalprice or curse them for their customer service. I just got the headphones, and I ordered them when I last posted, so obviously they had problems with their shipping, but live help was insanely nice, they walked me through every step and always replied and tried to fix things as best they could. Either way, I have my set of PL20's in front of me right now, they are Y CORD!!@#$ YAY!

At the moment, I have just listened to them, they definitely need to be burned in since it sounds all muddy and gross. Oddly enough, when paired with the Fiio E5, even un-burned, they sound almost as good as my PL30s. Anyways, just wanted to give my first impressions, they are really comfortable to wear and such. Anyone have any tips on burning in the PL20s? Pinknoise, whitenoise, frequencies? I'm still pretty newb. XD

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by PharaohsVizier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know whether to applaud Focalprice or curse them for their customer service. I just got the headphones, and I ordered them when I last posted, so obviously they had problems with their shipping, but live help was insanely nice, they walked me through every step and always replied and tried to fix things as best they could. Either way, I have my set of PL20's in front of me right now, they are Y CORD!!@#$ YAY!

At the moment, I have just listened to them, they definitely need to be burned in since it sounds all muddy and gross. Oddly enough, when paired with the Fiio E5, even un-burned, they sound almost as good as my PL30s. Anyways, just wanted to give my first impressions, they are really comfortable to wear and such. Anyone have any tips on burning in the PL20s? Pinknoise, whitenoise, frequencies? I'm still pretty newb. XD

I’m in same boat. The Pl20 was in back ordered in my case. It isn’t long ago I did received mine as well. They Y cord
wink.gif

For me the first impressions compare to pl30 was a pretty thin and colder experience with low isolation somehow. The tips did work ok I my ears but unfortunately didn’t isolate much anyway. I tried mod PL20 with Shure olives to crate a huge improvement on isolation here but they still remain a bit thin so I must conclude PL20 is just like that. Imo it’s still very similar sound we are dealing with this time. Same clarity and details as pl30. just hidden a bit by the thin soundstage but there.
Better tips and warm source will properly let these shine even more.

Perhaps a bit burn-in is worth a try for you. I have tips on while burn-in. I just make sure there is air around the earpieces.
I use mixed signals tracks from here and some of my music as well but I’m also newbie to this.
biggrin.gif
I just don’t take this very seriously anyway like the big guys.

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #52 of 65
Hmmmm, after about 15-20 hours of burn-in, it sounds a lot clearer, almost PL30's like. I like the bass quite a bit, it fits a lot snugger than the PL30's, and overall, I'm fairly impressed. Hoping that it'll get a bit clearer in a few hours, but even as is, it kicks ass.

Frankly, I thought it lacked a bit of warmth, but with the FiiO E5 bass boost, it feels just right.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #53 of 65
I just got the P12s from focalprice in the mail, they came with a red ring around them instead of the silver in the pictures.

Guess I'll be getting the P11 soon, I don't like the red ring
tongue.gif
Sounds great for my first pair of IEMs though.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #55 of 65
I got pl-20s from mp4nation, they are J-cords.

I still need to burn them in, but they sound pretty good the E5 and bass boost on, as-is.
These were a $10 purchase along with the E5, and I am pleasantly surprised. Certainly the best gear I've managed to pick up for under 20 bucks.

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #56 of 65
I just got the pl20s from focalprice.com

I tried out a couple of the tips and the foam tips fit the best. I was really happy with the sound quality. I really enjoy them. The sound signature seems similar to my HD215s

I had pretty good sound isolation. It was weird on the bus, complete silence in a packed bus...The only other IEMs I've tried were the orange ones from DX. The pl20s are miles ahead.

I play mine through a sansa e260, with FiiO E5, LAME enoded 320kbps MP3s

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #57 of 65
I asked this already in the pl-30 thread:

Anyone know anything about the pl13 and where it can be bought? One person has already posted in the pl30 thread that it is the worst of the pl line. Does anyone have any direct experience with this iem?

deadhorse.gif

May 17, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #59 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Judge Buff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked this already in the pl-30 thread:

Anyone know anything about the pl13 and where it can be bought? One person has already posted in the pl30 thread that it is the worst of the pl line. Does anyone have any direct experience with this iem?

deadhorse.gif

Old 2007 model with the Fosters/CX housing. Gone and forgotten most likely with good reason.

May 17, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #60 of 65
I got my Pl12s the other day, thought I'd post some impressions before hopefully a full review. I noticed no one has really mentioned these in the forums, so I thought I'd take a punt. They have about 25 hours burn in. Using with BiFlanges - Source P3 with Fiio E3. For the most part my KSC75s are my caparison cans.

In a nutshell - not bad, but no revelation.

Bass is naturally light (I wanted this, chose them over the PL11 because I don't dig that Ep630 style bloated bass) but when boosted with EQs etc is decent quality. Tight enough and goes low enough. Nothing amazing.

Mids feel a little unnatural and veiled, but thankfully vocals are largely sibilance free. Expected clarity to be a little better, can't match the KSC75s. One thing I can say is, unlike my old EP630s, they don't shy away from detail. Its not exquisite detail, but they don't 'jar up' like the Ep630s.

Highs are rolled off, feel distant. Some people like this sound mind you. Shure E2c's cost five times as much and roll treble off like nothing else. But still, its not an unpleasant sound.

My P3s 'clarity' settings (very similar to BBE on Cowon players) did improve the SQ quite a bit. Still wish I could hear those cymbols though, but it does help bring the mids to the foreground.

The fit is good. BiFlanges give the best bass but sometimes stick in the ears. Other standard tips are pretty good, but bass is less punchier. Sound isolation passed the Central London test, so I can't complain. Sound stage isn't at all bad, slightly narrower with the BiFlanges, typical 2d IEM type sound stage.

Overall the KSC75s beat the PL12s in just about every area, except sound isolation. If you own a player with quality sound enhancements (like Sammy, Cowon, Sony) you can push some enjoyable sounds outta these. But overall they aren't anything to jump for joy about. But they do get the basics right, and are cheap as chips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back