Which SoundMagic? PL 11, 12, 18 or 20?
Oct 30, 2008 at 12:22 AM Post #16 of 65
Hmm.. had a look at their website- sheds virtually no light whatsoever on the sound differences/characteristics of the different models I am interested in (PL10, 12, 18).

AAArgh this is driving me loopy, because they are all virtually the same price. Please can someone post up a review of the different models soon.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #18 of 65
I'm thinking of getting as well.. No idea how to choose.

From what I've seen, Pl12 seems to be the highest rated one. Correct me if i'm wrong but the PL12 were soundmagic's claim to fame right? May be ordering them..

Nov 3, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #19 of 65
Hey all, a little update. After a couple days, I really began enjoying my PL-30's, I've gotten used to them and they sound wonderful for the price. The only thing is that the bass is a little weak, for that reason I will probably get the PL-11's, I hope they have a nice carrying case and a bunch of tips like the PL-30's did. Either way I'm sure they'll make a great backup.

Thanks for the help everyone, and good luck to everyone who orders. Who knows, maybe I'll pick up a couple more, Christmas is just around the corner. I'm sure shipping will be much faster this time. Cheers and happy listening!

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #20 of 65
I ended up ordering PL18's, from what I could gather from interpretation of chinese forums, these are the replacement for the PL12 with slighly more bass. Anyone feel free to correct me tho'.

As this is my first step into the world of IEM's I am not sure that I will be able to do a comparison for you guys though.

Would be interested to hear about your impressions of the other models when they arrive.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #21 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_Samurai_chicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up ordering PL18's, from what I could gather from interpretation of chinese forums, these are the replacement for the PL12 with slighly more bass. Anyone feel free to correct me tho'.

As this is my first step into the world of IEM's I am not sure that I will be able to do a comparison for you guys though.

Would be interested to hear about your impressions of the other models when they arrive.

Congratulations on your purchase, I'm sure that they will sound good, and what do you have to lose? They're $10! It'll be a great first pair, mine were the JVC Marshmallows. I did the Kramer mod and they really got me interested in canalphones and portables. If the PL-12's sound close to the PL-30's they'll be a great value. And they even come with a bunch of tips and a bag! Anyway, I'd be cool if you put impressions up once you receive them. You don't need to do anything fancy, just tell us how they sound to you. Best of luck, hope they get to you fast.

Have a great week.

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #22 of 65
I have been listening to the PL-30 for a week or so and agree on the reviews so far, and what I personal can compare them to. IMO they out compete the 20-50 dollar bracket, easily, cx300, jchafx66 and so on.
I will be receivinf the PL-12 and PL-18, hopefully very soon, so I`ll give my impressions

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #23 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by silkeborg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be receivinf the PL-12 and PL-18, hopefully very soon, so I`ll give my impressions

That'll be perfect. Those are the 2 I'm considering as of now.

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #25 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by azuredreamz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've both PL30 and PL18 and they are great value earphones. They both sound very clear and detailed, while the PL18s are bit warmer. To my ears, PL30s are far better than the CXs.

Very cool, so I assume the PL-18's are well worth the price? Did you buy from FocalPrice, if so, how long did it take to ship? And how do the 18's compare to the CX 300's? Also, how was the build quality and accessories that came with the PL-18's?

Haha, a lot of questions. Please answer them when you get a chance, thanks.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #26 of 65
I bought PL30 and PL18 from Forcal price and it took about a week after they said the items were shipped.

Compare to the CX400 (I haven't tried the CX300),the PL18s are more detailed and the mids are more forward and clear, while the CXs are very bassy (bloated bass) and a bit too muddy for me.

It's just my personal preference, I do think some people still love the CXs because they've good dhoom dhoom bass, and it's pretty fun to listen. But I still prefer the PLs to the CXs for non rock music.

ps. sorry for my english
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #27 of 65
I ordered a pair of PL-30s early October, arrived very late October. Unfortunately, due to the long wait I picked up a KSC-75 and I just fell in love with them, so I've decided to give it to my friend as a birthday gift. I'll definitely consider picking up some more SoungMagics after some more definitive reviews. Until then, money going in moddin the KSC75s
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #29 of 65
LTUCCI1924 devoted a thread to the review of his PL11 IEMs. He noticed the J-cord and reported how well they benefit from burn-in. Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The bass has come out by lots and there are very good highs and mids. Now they have more bass than my PL-30 but I had to go through many different tips.

Silkeborg made an interesting comparison between PL12 and PL18 : Quote:

Originally Posted by silkeborg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The pl-18 has J-cord which I don´t like, but their sound signature is very close to the im-716 that I have, clear, great soundstage, balanced, but less refined and details less airy and dynamic lower frequency thump you can hear with the im716. They actually benefit strongly from being amped either with fiio E3 or my internal creative xtreme soundcard.
Pl-12 has a Y-cord, it has a more balanced towards a warmer, deeper frequence sound. I prefer the Pl-12 over my pl-30, jvc hafx, sennheisser cx 300, mylarone.

He also reported a benefit from burn-in (especially for PL18).

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #30 of 65
Whoever said the PL-30 has weak bass -- I think it doesn't fit correctly in your ear, which is key. I find they have just the right bass, but too little "presence" (around 2k-4k range) so that I have to use the EQ in the Sansa Clip set to Rock, and in the ipod Touch to "Boost Treble".

My points of reference are not other in-ear phones, but on-ear (Sennheiser PX 100) and around-ear (Sennheiser HD 580 w. Headphile V2 cable).

At the moment (after 1 hour listening to a used pair), I prefer Sennheiser CX 300 when the Senns are EQ'd with Treble boost on the Touch. The driver is smaller, and with the smallest of the three supplied tips, fits me perfectly. I infer from this that I have small ear canals. The PL-30 even with smallest tip fits me uncomfortably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back