Which Ipod has better HEADPHONE OUTPUT sound quality - the 6G Classic or the 5.5G?
Oct 25, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #16 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you guys matching the volume when you are doing your listening tests, because the 5.5 gen sounds much cleaner?

People hear differently, so it could just be that. But yes, tried with the same files, similar volumes. In the end, it comes down to what sounds better to you. In this round, 6G Classic sounds cleaner to me.

Oct 25, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #18 of 37
I voted for the 5.5G. Urghh, maybe I heard a faulty iPod (I think not) but it sounded even worse then the 5.5G. I would rather have the hiss but warmth of the 1st gen nano over the 6G. The 6G really has a noticeable treble gain, thus making it sound shrill. The bass was muddy and overall sounded very cheap. Although I didn't notice any considerable hiss.

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #19 of 37
What I find worth mentioning is that Red wine audio doesn't apply their iMod on de 6G, because the 5.5G and below "contains the high-quality internal Wolfson dac chip that makes doing the iMod worthwhile".

Maybee the 5.5G is better anyhow?

Mar 4, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #20 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I find worth mentioning is that Red wine audio doesn't apply their iMod on de 6G, because the 5.5G and below "contains the high-quality internal Wolfson dac chip that makes doing the iMod worthwhile".

Maybee the 5.5G is better anyhow?

I thought he also said that it wasn't worth doing the iMod on the 6G as the SQ in the 6G had improved enough that there weren't enough gains to be made?

Mar 4, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #21 of 37
I don't think so, according to this answer in the FAQ:

Q: Will you ever modify the 6th generation iPods (”iPod Classic”)
A: No - these use what we have found to be an inferior sounding dac and the sound cannot be improved upon. The sound quality of the 4G, 5G, and 5.5G iMods are far superior. If the newest iPods could be improved and were worth the effort to mod, we would have enjoyed offering an iMod for them and the business this would have created for us.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #23 of 37
I'll take the 6/6.5G over the previous models anyday.
The biggest reason for me is hiss issue with 5.5G iPods and older.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

I don't think so, according to this answer in the FAQ:

Q: Will you ever modify the 6th generation iPods (”iPod Classic”)
A: No - these use what we have found to be an inferior sounding dac and the sound cannot be improved upon. The sound quality of the 4G, 5G, and 5.5G iMods are far superior. If the newest iPods could be improved and were worth the effort to mod, we would have enjoyed offering an iMod for them and the business this would have created for us.

That's right and wrong. Here's the thread (by Vinnie from RWA) on head-fi regarding the ipod classic vs older generations: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ip...ie-rwa-256793/

If I remember correctly, he said that the circuitry in 6th generation iPods were much cleaner making for better stock headphone out SQ compared to 5/5.5 generation iPods and older.

In what you quoted he was simply stating that iModding a 6th gen ipod would not improve SQ to the extent of an iModded 5th gen ipod. Therefore it was pointless to mod the classic. Once modded, the 5th gen ipod takes the cake by far.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #25 of 37
You read different hing than I do. "these use what we have found to be an inferior sounding dac" seems clear to me...

Do you have a link for the quote "the circuitry in 6th generation iPods were much cleaner making for better stock headphone out SQ compared to 5/5.5 generation iPods and older"?

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

You read different hing than I do. "these use what we have found to be an inferior sounding dac" seems clear to me...

Do you have a link for the quote "the circuitry in 6th generation iPods were much cleaner making for better stock headphone out SQ compared to 5/5.5 generation iPods and older"?

It's mixed in with the rest of the thread I'm afraid. Here's one of his statements (although it regards the line out more than hp out):

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me clarify this a little (just based on my findings):

The 6G iPod line-out sounds closer to the 5G/5.5G iMod with Vcap Dock than the stock 5G/5.5G line-out does, but saying "almost as good" might be going a little too far and may lead to people being disappointed.

I really hope that iMod owners (4th, 5th, and 5.5G iMod owners) will get a chance to listen to the 6G line-out and post their impressions when comparing the two (or doing shoot-outs at headfi meets) and thanks in advance for doing so.

Cheers!

Vinnie

I'll try to find some more explicit quotes.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:11 PM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

This is correct. Let me add to that:

5G/5.5G iMod with ALO Vcap Dock > 5G/5.5G iMod with ALO dock cable (black gates) > stock 6G line out > stock 5G/5.5G line out

Somewhere in there, the 4G iMod fits and I'm pretty confident that you'll find it between the 5G/5.5G iMod with ALO dock cable and the stock 6G line out.

I agree and I think the 6G line-out and headphone-out shows that Apple has been paying attention (maybe even to headfi and all the iMod posts and about cleaning up these outputs
wink.gif
) to SQ.

Regarding the cleaner circuitry:

Quote:

Based on these findings of the 6G iMod Classic, I'm thinking it is not worth modding them because it not nearly as much "stuff" in the signal path between the dac and the dock connector as the 4G, 5G, and 5.5G units, so you can't expect the get nearly the same kind of benefit.

I hope this helped at least a little. It's only one man's views on the matter, but he does this kind of stuff for a living. Either way take it with a grain of salt. Ideally, if you can, borrow a friend's and listen to both generations to decide for yourself.

Mar 4, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #28 of 37
That clears up the matter, thanx for searching. It only seems strange to me that these citations are somewhat contrary to the tekst on the internet pages of RWA and ALO! "inferior sounding dac" still don't sound good to me....

I try to compare both versions, but it won't be easy (they have to lent it to me). Sorry for my bad English...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back