Which Ipod has better HEADPHONE OUTPUT sound quality - the 6G Classic or the 5.5G?
Oct 21, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a better question to ask is "Do they have good HPO SQ?" but from what I've read on this forum, the 6g is supposedly better.

lol you are right! Doh, I keep having to edit my polls.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 37
just picked up an 80GB classic. The difference isn't noticeable until you spend time with it. As other posts have said, the sound on the headphone out is defintely cleaner. I also noticed the treble isn't as harsh, so I am not sure what the big fuss was about with those charts and stuff, if anything the treble is more controlled vs the 5.5G which i sold, and less grainy. The low end is also improved, while the bass is the same, it is better quality than the 5.5G IMO. I am happy with my upgrade, I just wish apple would allow a user defineable EQ.

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 37
Hows the HP out of the 6 and 5.5g compare to the Line-out of a 4g?

Oct 22, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanafterall /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just picked up an 80GB classic. The difference isn't noticeable until you spend time with it. As other posts have said, the sound on the headphone out is defintely cleaner. I also noticed the treble isn't as harsh, so I am not sure what the big fuss was about with those charts and stuff, if anything the treble is more controlled vs the 5.5G which i sold, and less grainy. The low end is also improved, while the bass is the same, it is better quality than the 5.5G IMO. I am happy with my upgrade, I just wish apple would allow a user defineable EQ.

i've seen those graphs. and websites purporting that the 6G SQ is poorly engineered or something. hence why i posted these polls. graphs are supposed to be objective, but there are also many factors to consider, e.g. how the data is collected, how the data is interpreted, external influences, etc.

Oct 22, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 37
i have been using user definable eq for a long time now. i guess the only way to really test it is to see if the user definable eq's make distortion or not.

just open one of the variable eq and edit it, save it back as the same name and apply it to the songs you wish. i have used that for many songs and it seems to work. i basically bring the gain down at least 6db to guarantee no distortion. tell me if you don't have similar results.

Oct 22, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have been using user definable eq for a long time now. i guess the only way to really test it is to see if the user definable eq's make distortion or not.

just open one of the variable eq and edit it, save it back as the same name and apply it to the songs you wish. i have used that for many songs and it seems to work. i basically bring the gain down at least 6db to guarantee no distortion. tell me if you don't have similar results.

I will kiss your feet if this works. According to the research I've checked in the past, they say custom eq settings don't carry over to the iPod, however your method is different. I haven't tried modifying and saving it as one of the existing names. Anyone else try this method yet?

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 37
haha, well if it does not work, then i have been happily 'using' this way for over a year! oh well. i've never done a side-by-side comparison to see. i find myself not needing to change the sound much with an ipod versus other players. my cowon, i had to turn down some treble to keep the ringing out of my ears. the bass had too hard an edge as well...

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #11 of 37
5.5 gen is better sounding and has rocbox going for it.

Oct 23, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So does this work?

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 37
No Dice here with the eq unfortunately...i tried using extreme variations to see if i noticed a diff, but did not. One neat thing though is, when a preset is applied to a track, with the eq in the off position, the eq is applied, even more interesting is when it is set to flat, it actually is flat. This was diff in the old 5.5G if i recall, if u wanted a preset eq on, u had to set the eq to flat. Anyone else notice these findings on the classic?

Oct 24, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #14 of 37
I would feel disgusted if the 6th generation headphone out were bad... 5.5 is already bad as is...

Oct 24, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #15 of 37
are you guys matching the volume when you are doing your listening tests, because the 5.5 gen sounds much cleaner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back