Which Ipod has better HEADPHONE OUTPUT sound quality - the 6G Classic or the 5.5G?
Mar 4, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #31 of 37
I have never fully understood the source of the hiss on the 5.5g. Is it just an impedance issue, or something more?

I think the hiss is a "big deal". It really takes away from my enjoyment of the device.

Does the hiss go down if the unit is rockboxed? Or is this a constant based on the hardware?

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:19 PM Post #36 of 37
yeah, this post was just getting to the meat for me when it quit.  anyone out there have a rockboxed 5.5 80gb and a 6th gen ipod and done a SQ comparison both through the headphone out and the LOD?  I wouldn't imagine that the LOD should change to much between the stock firmware and rockbox on the 5.5, but maybe it does ... ?

Anyway, the question I'm facing is returning an iPod sold to me under the guise of being a 5.5 gen but when it arrived it was a 6th gen - and my primary purpose for buying it was to rockbox it and convert my collection OGG from lossless for portable sound.

Anyway, any advice on this would be a nice, I need to make up the decision in short order whether or not to send it back.  I will mainly use it using the LOD at home through a modded Little Dot I+, but it will be nice to have a good sounded DAP for walking around.  Thanks for the input.

Oct 11, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #37 of 37
I bought an iPod to try because of Rockbox... I even took it to B-Buy and compared it with the new (back then) Classic, and my 5.5g did sound better, and when you throw in EQ, even more so as it does not add the crackling distortion typical of bass boost on most other new ipods. I did end up returning it however, after hearing my friends S9, which is what I currently use, and have not heard a better portable source since. (Still looking to try a Sony X-Series Walkman though!)

If the iPod did not support Rockbox, I never would have tried it... My friends have enough problems coming over and trying to use them with my computer, transfering schoolwork, images, ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back