Which IEM's Have the Best Soundstage?
Feb 10, 2009 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

davidhunternyc

Headphoneus Supremus
It almost seems like a contradiction of terms to ask this question but I am wondering nonetheless. It seems far easier for full-sized headphones (especially open headphones) to convey soundstaging (headstage), but IEM's? So which IEM's do you think have the best soundstage and >>>>>why?<<<<<

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #4 of 98
The Sennheiser IE8's have superior soundstage but to accomplish this the noise isolation is very poor....So have fun hearing your environment then your actual music.
wink_face.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 98
O.K., so far the comments above are lauding the IE8 as having great soundstaging. How do you think the IE8 accomplishes this? I just think, with an IEM, this must be the hardest trick in the book to pull off.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser IE8's have superior soundstage but to accomplish this the noise isolation is very poor....So have fun hearing your environment then your actual music.
wink_face.gif

I am using Comply tips and get isolation on par or close to my other IEMs. Actually, with the Comply, they isolate better than my dynamics that I use silicon tips on. The PFEs were marginally better in isolation (using Complys also).

So when you come up to me while my music is playing and yell "your isolation sucks," my smile is not because I am ignoring you, it is because I can't hear you and the music sounds SO good!

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
O.K., so far the comments above are lauding the IE8 as having great soundstaging. How do you think the IE8 accomplishes this? I just think, with an IEM, this must be the hardest trick in the book to pull off.

I am not sure how it is accomplished, but the IEM body does have a much different shape than any other IEM I have seen, and they have a bass port. But I have IEMs that have bass ports and no soundstage, or so it seems.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 98
I personally do not think the isolation is poor, but I have pixie ear canals so maybe I am lucky. They do isolate well, just not as well as some other IEMs like Klipsch.

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 98
Well going by my beginners understanding of 'soundstage' (being able to hear more of the recording and instruments etc) I would say the IE8 from what I've heard. Much wider soundstage than my 530's which I thought were brilliant.

Also from a simplistic point of view, I'm not convinced that a lot of why the IE8's are brilliant isn't down to their much wider stem and presentation area? Compared to a lot of the other top IEM's that have a very narrow opening/stem?

Feb 10, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 98
My IE8's sound like im listening to full size cans or even in the middle of a room with big speakers. Isolation isnt perfect but it is good and once that music starts going theres no noise from the outside at all and it doesnt interfere with the music.

Feb 10, 2009 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 98
IE8's soundstage: Unbeatable.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #12 of 98
IE8/IE7 are dynamic and both have open holes unlike other IEMs.

due to this they have a great soundstage..with IE8 having larger but sacrificing more sound isolation.

i compared both side to side..and IE7 had better isolation with same tips

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #13 of 98
im gonna go out on a limb here and vote for bose IE triport!! simply because they are in ear phones that dont go in ear!! if they have one thing its possibly the best soundstage without even meaning too, thats how bad they are lol

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #14 of 98
Maybe is because I could never get a decent seal on it, but the UE Super fi 5 Pro has some excellent soundstaging with the foams. It's very wide, and you can clearly tell where all the instruments are at. Super fi 5 version 2 is supposed to be even better with this. It's one of the only things I miss about SF5p over my current SE530's since although 530's does have good positional accuracy, it is very narrow and very much in your head.

Usually the soundstage and isolation is mutually exclusive, however. You will have to pick one or another if you wanted the best at the either end.

Feb 10, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #15 of 98
UE11. I have not heard the IE8 so have no comparison. I find all IEM's closed in though. I am sure its all a matter of perception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back