Which headphones would you choose under these conditions?
Aug 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

bonfirehay

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

My experience with headphones so far:
After having stretched out the clamp and covered the pads with some socks, I now can stand my ATH-M50s for about 4h, instead of the usual 30min.
They are however still too uncomfortable to use everyday for many hours, so I need to replace them.

I also own a pair of Yuin Pk3 earbuds which I love which I love for their confort and balanced, natural sound which makes them simply disappear.
The problem with them, is I still can ear external noise, which inhibits the sense of immersion.
Despite not as detailed as the ATH-M50, nor so deep in bass extension/quantity, I find them less distracting/fatiguing to ear for long periods.

I hate the V shaped sound signature of the Sennheiser CX-300, and they make my inner ears hurt after a while.
I find IEM very inconvenient and uncomfortable for everyday so they are out of question.

New Cans Constraints:
- Should fit for long hours in big ears which go back like this one: http://i.imgur.com/epUPG.jpg
- For indoor use, but enough isolation to block slightly noisy street sound.
- They should play fine directly from a MacBook Air, maybe getting an amp in the future.
- Maximum around 300€
- Hate V shape signature, like neutral/natural.
- Mostly to Jazz, Electronic, Minimal, Classic, Downtempo

Is there anything which fits these conditions?

The ones I've scoped so far are:

- Beyerdynamic DT880
- Senheiser HD 595 
- Denon AHD2000
- AKG K701

What would you get?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 20
+1 for DT880 & D2000

Others u can consider:

Brainwavz HM5

Cheerz!

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 20
Agreed on Denon AH-D2000's. I have a set that I ran directly out of my MacBook Pro (and later my iMac) for ages before getting an amp. They sound great direct, they sound amazing when properly amped.

I also happen to have a pretty big head (as my girlfriend is fond of remarking) and they fit comfortably on me so you shouldn't have to worry on that account.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #4 of 20
I have owned my DT880/600 for a little over a month and absolutely love them. Very comfortable on my ears, solid fit so they won't fly off your head, and a great overall headphone I can use for anything. I have been considering trying out the DT990/600 for improved bass response to see if they fit my needs, but wouldn't hesitate to recommend the DT880 one bit.

I also opted for the Q701 instead of the K701/702 because I felt the sound was smoothed out a bit more. After several months of use, I don't like the bumps on the headband as I have a big head and they get uncomfortable after awhile. Beyond that, I love the sound and the fit over my ears. They don't touch my ears at all and go completely around. Fantastic soundstage as well.

The AH-D2000 have always had my vote for a closed set of headphones in that price range. You can't go wrong with this set, although they may cost you a tad bit more than the other two above. This is definitely my next pair I plan on purchasing (followed by the DT990).

Another closed set to look at if you would like to save a few bucks is the K550. Slightly cheaper than the AH-D2000, but still a solid pick. I love mine, very comfortable and don't require too much ampage.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 20
I got my Denon's for $220. Given the AH-D2000 is not the latest model you should be able to get a similar price on them. At full retail they are good value for money but at that price they can crush anything.

The only other headphone in that range I know enough about to say is great is the Sennheiser HD-25-1 II. However, while I've heard amazing things about the build and sound, I've heard mixed things about comfort. They have a tendency to "clamp" your head a bit.

Aug 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #6 of 20
How would the sound from K550 compare with the M50s? Better, worst?

I really like the aesthetics of the Q701, although they don't seem to be so popular and not so praised in terms of confort.. Are they fully open?

Since I want some noise isolation I should aim at semi-open/closed headphones right?
How does isolation from a fully open pair of cans compare with foam earbuds?

Aug 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 20
I don't get all the D2000 recommendations. That's definitely a V-shaped headphone, which is not what the OP wanted. The D2000 is hardly neutral.

If you're willing to go with an open and full-sized headphone, I feel the HD600 is quite neutral. Not great unamped though; might need to add in a E10.

Aug 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #11 of 20

If you're willing to go with an open and full-sized headphone, I feel the HD600 is quite neutral. Not great unamped though; might need to add in a E10.

I'm willing with to go with open as long as they provide more isolation than the Yuin Pk3 earbuds. That's the point.. Do they?

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:
I don't get all the D2000 recommendations. That's definitely a V-shaped headphone, which is not what the OP wanted. The D2000 is hardly neutral.

IMHO,
The D2000 is not considered a V-Shape phone. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #14 of 20
Eh, they're a bit on the warm side but hardly v-shaped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristidesfl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm willing with to go with open as long as they provide more isolation than the Yuin Pk3 earbuds. That's the point.. Do they?

No. Open-backed headphones provide almost no isolation. The Denon AH-D2000 is also considered a semi-sealed headphone in that it is closed-backed but isn't designed for real isolation. It's good enough for a dorm room (unless you're trying to drown out a party, in which case get some UE or Shure IEMs).

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
I would say that the D2000 is definately v shaped. What do you expect? An FR graph that is literally a massive V?

Bro, i have heard the D2000 many times too...not V shaped to my ears. The FR graph was posted so that the OP can see how the D2000 responds to Frequencies. Not looking for a V there.

They are warm, but not V. Thats my opinion. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back