Which headphones to buy
Sep 28, 2010 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SoundWhore

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm buying headphones for electronic dance music production, but not sure which one to buy because I have no experience and knowledge in this area. If I had a chance to try before buy I'd definately do that, but since I don't have I'll have to rely on your opinions.Headphones I'm looking for should have defined full linear frequency range, so strong coloring isnt wanted, especially in low end. Well I love colouring, especially that warm, analog, bassy sound applied by headphones but only when I listen music,for production I want being it NEUTRAL and CLEAN. They also need to be not so heavy and they shouldnt cause much pressure on ears. Closed or open?Well I'd rather to have open ones, because they seem to be more lightweight and more confortable, which closed type usually aren't, and there is no need for closed because I work in quiet environment.Budget is around ~100euros, I'd go less but I wont because that would be same junk as PC headphones I currently have, and I wont much above, because I don't need some expensive pro stuff since I'm beginner.From what I've dug, I should buy something from AKG, SENNHEISER, BEYERDYNAMIC, AUDIO TECHNICA..., still dont know what to pick from so many models.
Soundcard I'm buying with is m-audio audiophile 24/96, according to forums it's best you can get for that money, if you know anything better for same amount of money, just say.

thank you

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Hadoe is there a thread like the one you linked to for full size headphones? If so that would be a great reference bank. I've seen the IEM one and now this one but thats all.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
Hadoe is there a thread like the one you linked to for full size headphones? If so that would be a great reference bank. I've seen the IEM one and now this one but thats all.

Sadly I'm farley new to the forum and I don't know of another thread, but there are a lot of full sized headphones on that list. I actually just bought a pair of Panasonic HTX7's thanks to the recommendation on that list. They haven't arrived yet though and I don't think that's what you're looking for anyways.

Sep 29, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 8
if you're using them in the studio, it just comes to personal preference as to open/closed. personally in our schools recording arts department we have a mix of senns and the 701's. though i believe that the reason for the senns is some education deal the university has. 
from my experience i can say that though the type of production i have worked on is not your type of music, i find the 701's neutral and clear as opposed to the more bassy denons i use at home.

the cans may be a bit out of your budget range, but imo it would be worth it. a pair of cans you can use for years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back