which headphones to buy in Japan, cool 10 for expert advice.
Jun 27, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #16 of 29
man, those stax look pretty freaking awesome. Def out of my class though. I will probably get the 751, though I have read a lot of problems with comfort. How do you find yours? I have a small head, but my biggest worry is that I have glasses, and so they may press to hard into me over extended period of times. That leans me toward the pro5 ath, but those do not have a removable cable....and if I go via that criteria then I am bassically left with only th 751.

As to the difference in price over the Steez 808 in usa, I am assuming it is due to demand and competition more than anything else? Oh well....

EDIT: scratch the comfort question, just read your other posts on the new pioneer thread.

Oh man, I just realized, I am actually in Fukuoka myself. My wife is from here, visiting family.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:
man, those stax look pretty freaking awesome. Def out of my class though.

Even Stax was recently acquired by a Chinese company, Edifier if I recall correctly, though I believe that they are keeping manufacturing where it is.

Quote:
I will probably get the 751, though I have read a lot of problems with comfort. How do you find yours? I have a small head, but my biggest worry is that I have glasses, and so they may press to hard into me over extended period of times. That leans me toward the pro5 ath, but those do not have a removable cable....and if I go via that criteria then I am bassically left with only th 751.

As to the difference in price over the Steez 808 in usa, I am assuming it is due to demand and competition more than anything else? Oh well....

EDIT: scratch the comfort question, just read your other posts on the new pioneer thread.

BTW, there is actually a thread specifically about the 751:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/611622/new-pioneer-se-mj751-bass-head-headphones-unboxing-impressions-updated

I don't think I mentioned this anywhere else, but in addition to having a slim head I also wear glasses.  Given all that, the 751s don't bother me at all.  I would also assume that your daughter doesn't have a Modok-like head, so she wouldn't want to wear something too bg and loose.

TBH, I'm not sure why the 808 Steez (SE-MJ751 here in the States) is so expensive.  To my knowledge, they're not flying off the shelves - and I've never seen anyone other than me wearing them.  They've been at full retail for months and show no signs of dropping in price.  Even at that price, they are worth it.  So if you could get them for close to 5,000 Yen that'd be a deal.

Quote:
Oh man, I just realized, I am actually in Fukuoka myself. My wife is from here, visiting family.

Three words:  headphone shopping buddy.  LOL!  If I ever found myself in the Bay area, I'd definitely offer to by HiFiGuy a pint or two to thank him for the cool unboxing vids.  You'd be surprised how comforting they can be after an absolute ***** day.

Jun 27, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #18 of 29
Anybody know anything about the pro500? I see the Pro5mk2 has a 44mm driver, the pro500 has a 40mm drier but seems to be in a higher class? and the pro500mk2 has a 52mm driver with a detachable cord. Anyword on what the deal is the the pro500? Is it actually worth more than the pro5mk2 or is it just old?

Jul 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #19 of 29
Well, this is just my opinion, and i could be way off of what other people are hearing, and even from what I determine tomorrow when I plan to hit up some outlet stores and hunt down a pair of es55 real cheap if i get lucky.

But, my amateur analysis of a few cans:

I focused on these:

ath sj55
ath ws55
ath es55
ath pro5mk2
stumbled across the ath fc707

Shure 550DJ-out of my price range
Beats solo, just for fun

and listened to a bunch of others.

wanted to do the mj751 but never found any on display to test
listened briefly to the mj541

[size=10pt]So, basically, the first thing I did was listen to the sj11 and then the sj55. holy cow. Forge the sj11. Not worth saving any pennies for the difference. They so[/size][size=10pt]u[/size][size=10pt]nd totally flat and lifeless next to the sj55. This was the single biggest jump in quality I found, even when compared to the esw9, etc. Thus, I would say that per dollar your best value is sj55. You can get a decent sound on the cheap-about 2,700 yen. If budget is the primary concern, def. this one, and no lower.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]Then I tested the esw9 just to give me a baseline and to really be able to identify the range of audio performance. A clear improvement in all areas, though the base was less slamming than the sj55, everything sounded better, and I suspect the bass would slam all the same if you wanted to make it do so.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]Then I tested the ws55 in close comparison to the ath pro5km2. A noticeably different sound, but I had a really hard time deciding wh[/size][size=10pt]i[/size][size=10pt]ch one I preferred more. Overall it was kin of like a fruit forward ws55 to the more laid back pro5mk2. They were very similar, but the pro5mk2 had more of an open sound, a wider stage-probably due to the larger cup sizes and true around the ears rather than just barely around the ears o the ws55. I think I prefe[/size][size=10pt]r[/size][size=10pt]red the pro5mk2 sound more, but want to give it another go. [/size]

[size=10pt]From there i tested the es55, a very different flavor, must more balanced and much much closer in sound to the esw9. Everything was well balanced and I could follow instruments and vocals more clearly. Though the difference was not nearly as great as between the sj11 and sj55, the es55 is clearly a superior set of cans to the ws55 and pro5mk2[/size][size=10pt], which are both clearly superior to the sj55. Solid pricing ath[/size][size=10pt]. I tested the pro500mk2, but tried to avoid it as they are the ones I really want, but cant afford (ath with removable cable.[/size][size=10pt] [/size][size=10pt]i also realized i could have removed the cable at the best denki and walked out, but,[/size][size=10pt] [/size][size=10pt]with some regret, screwed it back on and left it for the next customer) I did prefer the es55 to them too, though[/size][size=10pt], in terms of sq, but not enough to win me over[/size][size=10pt]. [/size]

[size=10pt]A major, major flaw in the es55-imo-is the cable. Holding it up to the ws55 it is visibly half the thickness, and feels far more fragile. What a shame for ath to make such a great headphone, and equip it with such garbage. I mean, who wants to have great portable cans hat work perfectly fine and sound great, but a freaking 15 dollar or less cable throws them in the trash? Just an insult, and may be enough to make me walk away from ath entirely. But, I digress.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]The biggest twist in the evening was the FC707. I ruled it out early, based on bad reviews of the fc700-that used a different driver-but what I found was that the fc707 seemed to perform a little better, imo, than the ws55. The bass had more impact, but at the same time the vocals were clearer and the instruments were just as easy, if not easier to follow. However, I need to do another test, as I started te[/size][size=10pt]s[/size][size=10pt]ting these late, and didnt give them the love and patience I did the others.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]My favorite, however was the shure550dj-however, this is not a fair comparison as it is a solid 8,000 yen, and was in a separate section of the store playing different music. With the ath models I could hold several in my hands and swap quickly, listening to the same runs of music playing (i tried to hook up my touchpad, but there was a lot of interference or something...didnt work correctly) [/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]Just for fun a I tried on a couple of Beats by Dre-compared directly to the Shure550DJ-same area and music-and instantly could tell what everyone complains about. Very flat, some of the models-not all-sounded like the sj11 with bass. Not worth much to me-when my closest comparison is 1/10th the cost. However, they were the most comfortable and sleekest feelng-with metal hinges no less-of all the phones I put on today. So, there is that. Mos[/size][size=10pt]t[/size][size=10pt] of the ath had a plastic squeak in the ears[/size][size=10pt] ws55 and sj55 and fc707[/size][size=10pt], and all of them-even the esw9, had plastic hinges. So, dre nailed one aspect of the phones, if not the most important.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]Just bef[/size][size=10pt]o[/size][size=10pt]re leaving I tried on the mj541. I would, based on my quick comparison, but it on par with the ws55, maybe? It was a quick listen though, but def superior to the sj55. [/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]So, given all of that, I regret not picking up the MJ751 when it was 6,000 two days ago. I dont know if I can stomach 79 solid bucks[/size][size=10pt] at the current price[/size][size=10pt], especially not having put them on. The fc707 has a thick cable and is cheap-in white anyway-at the moment. So...maybe? Not sure, but hopefully i can decide tomorrow. [/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]=========[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]Message to ATH-I [/size][size=10pt]may well[/size][size=10pt] pick the pioneer, even though I am an audio technica fan. Just because you dont have a detacable cable. Even on fairly expensive portable cans, just thin weak wires. wth man? I feel that it is disrespectful, and makes a ha[/size][size=10pt]r[/size][size=10pt]d sell to a family man wth little kids looking for some decent headphones. But thats just my opinion.[/size]

Jul 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #20 of 29
Whoa, I was thinking of something along the lines of "I liked this, I didn't like that..."  Didn't know you were going to do a shotgun approach covering over half a dozen units! 
eek.gif
  It's a good thing though.  Someday, a fellow Head-Fier is gonna be in Japan and find this thread immensely useful.

I so wish you could have heard the MJ751.  I know that having the detachable cable is a big draw for you.  But for me, the kicker is in the second pair of drivers and the on-the-fly dial that engages them.  Being able to retune your cans on the spot to adapt to the genre of the moment is an INCREDIBLY useful thing.  Deep and soulful bass when you want it, detail and clarity when you don't.

I guess its a good thing that you didn't hear them yesterday.  You would have been pressed for time, and not been able to play with the dial as much.  Even a half turn of the dial can be fairly profound . . . it's like A/B-ing cans without taking any off/on.

EDIT:  I can totally understand not being thrilled about the $79.  A budget is a budget is a budget.  But FYI, the SE-MJ751 is holding fairly steady here in the States at $129.  So even at $79, it's quite a deal from that perspective.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #21 of 29
not to be argumentative, but they actually did drop to 99 a couple days ago. same day japan dropped to 6,000, but it is basck up to 6350 on amazn now. I can still get it in time with some other online shops for 5500....so about 69 dollars. a good deal, i can do amazon myself, have to have my wifes help with the others...so...thats the main reason i havent done it yet :wink:

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #22 of 29
update:its taking too much time hunting...so, i am going to go ahead and buy the 751 tomorrow morning online. Checks all my boxes it can without putting them on, particularly the idea that they will last much longer with detachable cable. The mj541 sounded acceptable, so with the good feedback above and the other boxes checked, I will go ahead and give it a shot.

And hey, if any of you guys get a chance to try it out on some classic classical music, just run it through some basic moonlight sonata, the 5th symphony, rachmaninovs 3rd, and maybe some classic oldies, particularly moe town, and see how it holds up I will check back in the morning. I will purchase unless I get some negative feedback. Thanks!

Jul 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:
not to be argumentative, but they actually did drop to 99 a couple days ago. same day japan dropped to 6,000, but it is basck up to 6350 on amazn now. I can still get it in time with some other online shops for 5500....so about 69 dollars. a good deal, i can do amazon myself, have to have my wifes help with the others...so...thats the main reason i havent done it yet :wink:

Ahh, I stand corrected!  Still, even at $99 here, it's not as good as the $69 deal you can get there so you definitely have the better end of the deal.  For a while there, I didn't think you would find the same unit to be cheaper there than here, especially after what Currawong said.

Quote:
update:its taking too much time hunting...so, i am going to go ahead and buy the 751 tomorrow morning online. Checks all my boxes it can without putting them on, particularly the idea that they will last much longer with detachable cable.

eek.gif
  A blind purchase - scary!  Haha, just kidding!  I got these blind myself and I've never regretted it.  They're not hi-fi, but they're a lot of hi-fun!

Quote:

And hey, if any of you guys get a chance to try it out on some classic classical music, just run it through some basic moonlight sonata, the 5th symphony, rachmaninovs 3rd, and maybe some classic oldies, particularly moe town, and see how it holds up I will check back in the morning. I will purchase unless I get some negative feedback. Thanks!

Hmm, that's it?  You're gonna have to give me a little time on that Chief.  Any specific movement(s) for the 5th and 3rd?

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #24 of 29
Here are some impressions for Motown stuff.  Anyone want to take a crack at the classical?

Notes:

Now I'm sure I don't have to mention that some recordings are going to sound a bit lo-fi no matter what cans you use - and that the more revealing your cans are the more evident that will be.  Not much I can do about that atm.  So having said that, my favorite quality of the Motown sound is that rolling, driving, locomotive sound.  So I've set the SE-MJ751's bass dial to accentuate that for my personal tastes.  *All tracks are 320kb WMA.

Tracks:

Please Mr. Postman by The Marvelettes (bass dial @ 40%)
(Love Is Like A) Heat Wave by Martha & The Vandellas (bass dial @ 80%)
Where Did Our Love Go by The Supremes (bass dial @ 10%)
Dancing In The Street by Martha & The Vandellas (bass dial @ 50%)
How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) by Marvin Gaye (bass dial @ 60%)
Ain't Too Proud To Beg by The Temptations (bass dial @ 90%)
What Becomes of the Brokenhearted? by Jimmy Ruffin (bass dial @ 60%)
You Can't Hurry Love by The Supremes (bass dial @ 75%)

Impressions:

Instruments are pretty well-separated.  Unlike cheap (crap cans), the snares/tambourines/muted brass don't all run together into one distorted vomit of noise when they hit all at once.  Was a bit surprised at the level of detail in tambourine hits, hand claps and the like.  Muted brass hits are distinct and a bit forward for my tastes, but most of my friends that listen to oldies love that so what do I know?  BTW, love the rolling piano in How Sweet It Is, which is something that cheap cans tend to recess.  

Vocals are fairly warm but also ring true.  For example, when Martha belts it, she comes through as soulful instead of just loud.  Diana's sweet and tender sultryness is certainly not lost here.  And I can almost hear the youthful quality in Marvin's early stuff.  

On one particular track (Where Did Our Love Go) there was noticable bass distortion.  As a result I had to turn the bass dial way down to compensate.  Note:  it could very well have been my source (un-remastered track in 320kb WMA) but I thought I should point it out.  Is that song traditionally hard to reproduce with clarity?

Overall I'm surprised at how well the SE-MJ751 held up.  Seeing as how they're meant for modern electronic music, they actually did alright!  Might be a bit of blasphemy for an Oldies fan, but I'm off to grab my soundtrack CDs for The Commitments.  As covers go, they're quite good - and I rather liked the film.

Jul 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #25 of 29
I should note that I have a rather limited selection of good Classical recordings.  The relatively high cost of definitive Classical and Jazz recordings has always been a barrier to my full enjoyment of them.  I have a few selected recordings where I actually invested [what I felt was] an exhorbitant price.  However, none of those are what you requested so I didn't check those out.  As a result, what I did run through the SE-MJ751 consists entirely of 320kb WMA files via my Zune subscription (hardly audiophile-quality but it's what I've got ATM):

• Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67, "Fate", Allegro Con Brio (London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by David Parry)
  • Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in C Minor, Op. 67, "Fate", Allegro Con Brio (New York Philharmonic conducted by Leonard Bernstein)
  • Beethoven's Piano Sonata No. 14 in C# Minor, Op. 27:2, "Moonlight Sonata", Adagio Sostenuto (Piano Soloist:  Finghin Collins)
  • Rachmaninov's Symphony No. 3 in A Minor, Op.44, I. Lento - Allegro moderato - Allegro (London Symphony Orchestra conducted by André Previn)

I'd also like to point out that - like most cans of this type and price range - the MJ751 isn't exactly meant to be a critical listening tool.  Note:  the bass dial was turned all the way down and left there for every track.  Okay, here goes:

• Honestly, I was a little surprised that it had enough on the high-end for clear flute (or piccolo) notes!  Lol I really didn't think it would, but it did.  Since the SE-MJ751s are bass cans, I probably don't need to tell you that its got the low-end covered... certainly enough to imply Fate knocking at the door with increasing urgency.  The mids are slightly warm and lacking in sharpness, but not distractingly so as the mid-bass hump and high-end details kind of frame it thus rounding it out.  And while these are just consumer grade closed cans, i found that it was fast enough to keep up for the most part.  In summary, not terribly bright, but carried enough impact for this piece that I enjoyed it.
  • I REALLY DIDN'T enjoy this at all. 
    frown.gif
      Maybe I'm just not a fan of Bernstein but it seriously lagggggs - like watching a senior citizen trying to count currency bills - just awkward and unnecessarily time-consuming.  To me, Beethoven's 5th should have a bit of urgency to it - like you're trying to outrun (or outwit) the Grim Reaper.  This version seems anything but.  Its a plodding and morose expression of some old geezer just waiting to die - having already given up.  Almost makes me tear my hair out and cry "then drop dead already you old fart!" 
    mad.gif
      For it's part, the MJ751 held up relatively well but it was noticeably darker on this track than any of the others.  Again, this could be due to Bernstein's orchestration.  TBH, I just didn't care for this rendition, and my dislike of it made me put down the cans only four minutes in.  So (understandably) I don't have a complete impression here.  And before you ask, no I ain't going back.  It (the rendition not the cans) was *****.
  • One of my favorite things about basshead cans is that they often bring some low frequency details forward.  Case in point, I feel like I can almost hear the piano case resonating along with the soundboard here.  I wouldn't want that effect all the time (certainly not for certain Chopin and Debussy pieces).  But for this piece I found it to be a powerful detail.  For the record, I did find the piece to be a little darker than I expected via the SE-MJ751.  However, that may very well be attributable to the recording as I heard something altogether different in Nocturne No. 2 shortly thereafter.
  • As one would expect, the somewhat warm mids that Pioneer cans exhibit did not fail here.  They held up well in reproducing Rachmaninov's sweeping strings - enough so that the somewhat strained romanticism and semi-bridled joy that I associate with Rachmaninov did show through.  It was also fast enough that I didn't feel the sudden crescendos and quick string passages to sound "lagging" in any way.  And even with the bass dial turned all the way down, the lows were quite full and lush I assure you (which is not surprising these being basshead cans and all).  Also, surprisingly good sparkle (but not brilliance) in the brass, woodwinds, and chimes (or is it triangles I hear?).  Overall a warm and lush presentation, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Also, I don't want to spoil it for you.  But if you do decide to get these, listen to "Spring" from Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Op. 8.  Yeah I know I'm talking about closed basshead cans here, but my ears *almost" spoodged. 
smile.gif

Jul 3, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #26 of 29
we just got some company at the house, but I wanted to say, holy cow man! that was awesome! I def went for the 751 after those reviews (also helped that amazon lowered the price via amazon store to 5409) but that was incredible. Very well done and complete analysis. I may not be as competent as you, but I will do my best to second your evaluations when it gets here, order is placed and I am pretty pumped!

Jul 3, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #27 of 29
Awesome, I can't wait for you to get yours.  And at 5,409 Yen, it's only 409 above your original budget... not bad!  I think only three or four of us here have them.  Pioneer cans don't appear to be very popular on Head-Fi.

In the end, no matter what anyone here says (myself included), the most important impressions are going to be yours.  I personally think you're going to be happy with them, but hey that's just me.

Whew! I am beat.  Tell you what, the next time someone asks about the 751s (or mid-fi Japanese cans), it's your turn.  Just one small request?  If you could post your impressions in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/611622/new-pioneer-se-mj751-bass-head-headphones-unboxing-impressions-updated

...that would be great.  Keeps info on that unit centralized in one place.  LOL, I know I posted a boatload of remarks above, but that was specifically to answer your question, know what I mean?

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:
dude, if you almost spoodged on vivaldi, listen to River Monsters season 4 episode 2. Obviously a completely different beast, but freaking awesome stuff. Like being in a movie theater.

Lol, because of Netflix i actually have super-easy access to this.  I'll check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back