Which Headphones to buy for college?
Jul 4, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #16 of 51
^ Consider the Sennheiser Amperior. It's their update to the classic HD 25-1 ii.

FWIW 2 really, really noteworthy people on Head-Fi prefer the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 > Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii
That would be Jude, the founder of Head-Fi, and Tyll, who runs InnerFidelity and is...well he's been in the headphone business in various forms for a very long time. Here's InnerFidelity's article on good, closed, small headphones: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed

I should let you know that all the headphones you listed aren't super bassy. This isn't a bad thing. The Senn HD 25-1 has good, clean bass that hits thumpy but doesn't overshadow the rest of the music; the M50 has a slightly exaggerated bass (and treble), but opinions can be quite split on whether this is a bass-head's dream.
The main thing to remember is that: some music is recorded and mixed with boosted bass already (such as the genres you listen to). Likewise, some headphones exaggerate the amount of bass in them too. This means bassy music + bassy headphones = extra exaggerated bass. Is that bad? Depends on you, but objectively speaking, in audio there is always a trade-off and if you have more bass, you could find it hard to hear the rest of the music. 

Btw what's the Bose still doing on that list? That's a noise-cancelling headphone.

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #17 of 51
ok thanks. I think my final qualifications are i want the best noise cancelling/noise isolating headphones so i can be in a noisy place and still be able to study, but I also want ones that have good base(doesnt have to be crazy intense though). Also if they have any cool random features that would be cool. Thanks everyone!

Jul 4, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 51
sorry i am posting and then seeing these replies....ok so my list beyerdynamic dt 1350, sennheiser hd25-1 ii, bose quietcomfort 15, Audio-Technica M-50, Audio Technica ATH-A900, Sennheiser Amperior is that...and i kept the bose because i tried them in the store and thought they were very good, but i trust u guys a lot more than the people working at bose so ill take those off...of those which do you guys think i should choose?

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:
sorry i am posting and then seeing these replies....ok so my list beyerdynamic dt 1350, sennheiser hd25-1 ii, bose quietcomfort 15, Audio-Technica M-50, Audio Technica ATH-A900, Sennheiser Amperior is that...and i kept the bose because i tried them in the store and thought they were very good, but i trust u guys a lot more than the people working at bose so ill take those off...of those which do you guys think i should choose?

Out of all those (if you take out the Bose), none are bad. I'd probably say the DT1350 or the HD25-1 would be the best two options: reasonable pricing, well-built, and quite portable. Of course, both are supra-aural (sit on the ear, not over it), so keep that in mind. If you're very keen on circum-aural 'phones, then the M50 is the way to go, but that's a pretty bulky 'phone (although I have seen people around campus with them, so it's certainly not too big).

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #20 of 51
^ +1 on that.

For blocking out noise, the Senn HD 25-1 (and likely the Amperior too) and Beyer DT 1350 are ridiculously good. 
For comfort, the HD 25-1 is a mixed bag: some people find it very comfy, I never found it all that comfortable. The 1350 seemed very comfortable when I tried it out, and almost every worthwhile impression I've read/heard (Jude's, Tyll's, veteran Head-Fi'ers, some of my friends) agree on its comfort. Just bear in mind that 25-1 and 1350 differ in the way they present sound, and that comfort is quite subjective.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #22 of 51
wait by that do you mean they dont go around your ear? because i cant stand ones like the bose quietcomfort 3s because they dont fully cup my ear....if i want one like the quietcomfort 15s that fully cups my ear which are left from that list?

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #23 of 51
HD25-1 are  on ear = supra aural (circumaural is around the ears)

but people rave about it so it may be more comfortable than the normal on ears

audiophile/headphones stores are hard to come buy and even if there are some, if its not big shop, then they will only carry certain brands. I'm in philly and would probably have to go to new york to shop/browse quality headphones.

Best bet is Amazon (seller or fulfilled by). You can try them and if you don't like, just return them.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #24 of 51
Cupping the ear (i.e. pads do not press in on the ears, but on the part of your head around the ear) = "circumaural".
The kind that presses in on the ears = "supraaaural".
  1. Supraaural but comfy: Beyerdynamic DT 1350
  2. Supraaural and debatable comfort: Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii, Amperior
  3. Circumaural: Bose QC 15, Audio Technica M50, Audio Technica A900*

Don't discount the supraaurals listed here for comfort. The 1350 is consistently praised for comfort, and the 25-1 and Amperior have their fans (but perhaps less so) for comfort too.

Also: I don't think anyone will disagree with me that these supraaurals beat all the circumaurals for sound quality.

*A900 is mother huge, does not fold up, and does not feel built like a tank. You will likely need a big carry case to cart this around.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #25 of 51
The denon d1100 is cheap and bassy and goes around your ears...but noise isolation is not the best; my m50s are better isolating but not as bassy.

Are you sure you want over the ears? IEMs may be more discrete and easily transported while still provideing superior isolation and in some cases, bass response.

Jul 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #26 of 51
i mean i have had iems before and they have just fallen out of my ear and it always seems like a hassle to put in...might be that i have werid ears or something. but also i loved the size and weight of the bose quietcomfort 15s...basically i want the closest thing i can get in noise reduction and size and weight of the qc15s just with better sound quality...which ones do you think fits best for that?

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 51
You're heading to college and have a $400 budget?  Damn son...

Those were the best years of my life, but they were also the most broke ass years of my life.  There was a whole lot of literally digging the change out of the couch to buy 40s back in those days. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back