Which headphones should I get for my Astro MIxamp? Ath-AD900, Beyer dt880s, or KGS 70
Feb 14, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #16 of 44

Quote:
sorry for sounding like a noob but what exactly is treble?

Quote:
gotcha besides bass what is the main difference between the 880's and the 990's?

DT880 tend to sound a bit neutral, while DT990 tend to be a slightly coloured. I personally preferred the 880 over the 990 any day. The treble is a bit too much and the bass slightly more out of control in the DT990 for my liking.
And the grill on DT880 looks nicer than the DT990 too! 

Here's a comparison of frequency between the two. Not a lot of difference definitely, since the drivers are either identical or very very similar.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #17 of 44
The DT990 has more emphasized treble as well, and a bit more recessed mids (mids = vocals, guitar riffs, etc., due to the more emphasized treble/bass). The DT880 is still a bit mid-recessed, but not as much as the DT990.

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #24 of 44
Alright so I just ordered the Astro Mixamp (original version) and the Fiio e9 map with a Monster optical cable and Monster Auxillary cable for reasonable prices on amazon. I will get the amp and accesories Thursday and the Mixamp probably Friday or Saturday. I've settled with the Beyer Dt990's 600 ohms version. Anyone suggest a reputable dealer with great prices?

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #26 of 44

Quote:
Alright so I just ordered the Astro Mixamp (original version) and the Fiio e9 map with a Monster optical cable and Monster Auxillary cable for reasonable prices on amazon. I will get the amp and accesories Thursday and the Mixamp probably Friday or Saturday. I've settled with the Beyer Dt990's 600 ohms version. Anyone suggest a reputable dealer with great prices?

Not that you're likely to listen, but you shouldn't go for Monster cables.

Feb 15, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #27 of 44

Quote:
Not that you're likely to listen, but you shouldn't go for Monster cables.

+1

Especially when it comes to optical cables...

When it comes to cables that carry a digital signal high end cables are a joke unless you are doing extremely long runs (then you need to start worrying about resistance).
This applies even more so with optical since it's completely immune to ANY form of rf interference.

When it comes to cables for digital signals, MonoPrice is king:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229

Fortunately optical cables are fairly low priced to begin with so despite the Monster Cables on amazon being like 3-4x the price of the monoprice, it still isn't too much more money.

They also sell auxilary cables:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218

Anyways, as for somewhere to buy the headphones:
http://www.proaudiostar.com/beyerdynamic-dt-990-premium-600.html?gdftrk=gdfV21380_a_7c627_a_7c2662_a_7cBEY_d_DT990PREMIUM600

Is the cheapest I've seen em. Supposed to be a fairly reliable dealer.

Outside of that, 319 is pretty much the standard price for the 600ohm version, you really aren't gonna find em for much cheaper unless you are open to Open Box items like:
http://www.warehousedeals.com/Beyer-Dynamic-DT-990-Premium-600/M/B0024NK34O.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle

Basically they are units that were like purchased, barely used, and then returned. But they are also not BRAND new.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #28 of 44
With the Astro Mixamp, I find the DT990 to perform CONSIDERABLY better than the 880 is terms of accurate positioning.

I dunno what people are going on about, but the bass on the 990 is anything but sloppy or bloated. It's as refined as I've heard a basshead headphone can get. The 880 has a great sound, but it isn't exactly exciting for gaming. Just balanced.

Also for gaming, the peakier treble on the 990 isn't as noticeable or bothersome as it is with stereo sources, so put that issue to rest. Dolby Headphone spreads out that treble quite evenly across the 360 degree soundstage, so it isn't as grating.

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #29 of 44
ok just purchased the Dt990's 600 ohms on performanceaudio.com for $299 shipped :). Ouch just spend 600+ on headphones and equipment. Hope I enjoy this setup as I have never experienced Dolby Headphone or any audiophile head phones. Hope it can be as good as my logitech z5500 5.1 system if not better than that :)

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #30 of 44
GAH $299? You should have waited for it to come back down to the $225 range. O_O

Also, you MUST get accustomed to Dolby Headphone. It isn't something where you'll magically see how wonderful it is. It might take you a few days to understand how the sound is being interpreted by your brain. Give it it's due run. I didn't like it at first. Now, I can't live without it.

Also, Dolby Headphone will make a much better impact to you if you play first person or third person shooters, as sound placement in these are more important and more heaviliy tinkered than other types of games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back