Which headphones do you use for PC gaming?
Jan 7, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #47 of 500
  Razer Tiamat 7.1 is the best headphone for PC games

Them is strong words. 
I can't contest this as I've never heard one, but every other Razer headphone I've ever heard was junk - so confidence isn't high. 

Jan 7, 2014 at 9:23 AM Post #48 of 500
  Them is strong words. 
I can't contest this as I've never heard one, but every other Razer headphone I've ever heard was junk - so confidence isn't high. 

I will say headphone with dedicated positional speakers in them are better for knowing where the sound is coming from while gaming, so it does have that. However the quality of the sound is not that great.

If you're playing an online FPS game however, accurate position trumps quality.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #49 of 500

Them is strong words. 

I will say headphone with dedicated positional speakers in them are better for knowing where the sound is coming from while gaming, so it does have that. However the quality of the sound is not that great.

I agree - I play a fair amount of FPS and have simply come to rely on the enemy radar a lot; I think though if the SQ is anything like it's siblings I don't know if I could stand that sort of poor sound for very long despite enjoying the benefits of positional sound.

Still waiting for a positional headphone from a reputable company, but it's not high on my list of priorities. I'll certainly give this headphone a try if I can find one for audition.

Jan 7, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #50 of 500
  I agree - I play a fair amount of FPS and have simply come to rely on the enemy radar a lot; I think though if the SQ is anything like it's siblings I don't know if I could stand that sort of poor sound for very long despite enjoying the benefits of positional sound.

Still waiting for a positional headphone from a reputable company, but it's not high on my list of priorities. I'll certainly give this headphone a try if I can find one for audition.

Then I think you will be disappointed :wink:

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #51 of 500

The whole "multiple drivers = better positioning" approach to headsets is...fiercely debated, to say the least.

Mad Lust Envy certainly isn't a fan of it and would take Dolby Headphone or other virtual surround tech with a good stereo headphone ten times out of ten, and I personally see no reason to change when CMSS-3D Headphone is my aural wallhack of choice.

On the flip side, if this set could impress Tyll Hertsens of all people...

Jan 8, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #52 of 500

The whole "multiple drivers = better positioning" approach to headsets is...fiercely debated, to say the least.

Mad Lust Envy certainly isn't a fan of it and would take Dolby Headphone or other virtual surround tech with a good stereo headphone ten times out of ten, and I personally see no reason to change when CMSS-3D Headphone is my aural wallhack of choice.

On the flip side, if this set could impress Tyll Hertsens of all people...

The problem is they usually sound horrible, or are just a marketing gimmick. Nothing against MLE, but if done right, I have no idea how simulating reality sounds more accurate then reality.

P.S. I have the same watch as the guy in the video. Love me some RADO.

Jan 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #53 of 500
Multiple drivers in each ear isn't reality 3d soundscaping though.  At the end of the day you're still dealing with drivers directly on top of each ear-- which is still stereo.  You'd need an oversized bubble on your head with drivers spaced accordingly to allow for the natural crossfeed that your brain uses for subtle positional cues.  Tyll briefly touches on this in that article.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #54 of 500
  At the end of the day you're still dealing with drivers directly on top of each ear-- which is still stereo.

Yea, why a lot are just a gimmick. If you turn down everything but the back speaks, and tell it's coming from the back, and then turn down everything expect what is coming from the front speakers, and then tell it's coming from the front, then you have real positional sound that I feel gives you better positional information then software.

Most 7.1 headsets however, would fail that test.

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #56 of 500
The problem is they usually sound horrible, or are just a marketing gimmick. Nothing against MLE, but if done right, I have no idea how simulating reality sounds more accurate then reality.

Funny thing about that statement...it's a lot like how I word my arguments for full 3D audio over headphones. Why simulate a simple 5.1/7.1 speaker system when you could instead represent the way we hear things in real life from all directions with just two ears? Height cues are a wonderful thing, and yet we've effectively lost the ability to have them in PC games over the last several years because developers think 7.1, in all its loose approximation of a 2D plane around the listener, is good enough.

Of course, that's only practical with HRTFs, not unless you want to surround yourself in a bunch of individual little transducers from all directions, which comes with its own set of logistical problems.

Jan 9, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #57 of 500
  Make a new thread to discuss that.

I don't see why - it's not wildly off-topic and gives good insight into peoples choices on which headset they use for PC gaming.
I'd rather read it here and subscribe to another thread.

Jan 9, 2014 at 5:01 AM Post #58 of 500
Is surround sound a must for PC gaming headsets if you play competitive games? SS is what gives positional accuracy right?

I need a new pc gaming headset and the PC360 seemed like the obvious choice but saw that it has no surround sound, so I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back