Which headphones are indestructible, good sounding and cost less than 100$?
Jun 28, 2012 at 2:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Noisesupressor

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I just joined Head-Fi but I have been browsing and searching the forums for a long time now.
Since I was 15 years old or so I had a pair of Sennheiser HD 202's. They would break every 9 months or so, and it was always the left  ear cup that stopped working. I only stopped buying a new pair of HD 202's this year when I decided that I needed a pair of headphones which could take a better beating. So after browsing the forums I saw people mentioning the DBI pro-700 after which I got a pair. People described it them as indestructible, yet I was able to break them 3 months later I got them. The iron coating probably caused a cable crack near the jack plug. But after having fixed this issue twice now I don't feel like fixing them another time.

But what now? I am browsing the forums but the list seems so long and there is no definite answer (because there most likely isn't one, but still).

I am looking for a pair of headphones that can take a beating and have good sound quality. I don't care about style and not that much about comfort. If you own a DBI pro-700, then you know what I am talking about.  Audio quality is the most important thing. I plan on using them every day for going to like university, riding my bike, playing pc games and listening to lots of music. I do not own an amp and I am not planning on buying one. And I only play mp3 files, no FLAC files or some sort. I know the quality is way better but the trade off with regards to data storage space is just too big. I listen to mostly rap, hiphop and a lot of metal.

Which headphones would you recommend which are under $100 and would allow me to do exactly what I described above?

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 19
One of my dad's friends owned a pair of Sony MDR-V6's for over ten years before the earcups basically disintegrated from so many hours of use. From what I hear, the old Sonys are almost indestructible. Try a pair of those. They sound great, and they are only $87 on Amazon. Go check them out.

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 19
Thank you for the quick reply. I looked in to the MDR-V6 earlier but according to most reviews it is lacking somewhat of a bass. As the music I listen to needs a decent amount of bass, would these headphones still be a good buy? 

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 19
Is it always a cord problem? Because if you're twisting or bending them a lot, no headphone will survive that.

How do you wrap/store your headphone cable?

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 19
The V-MODA crossfade LP is 100 dollars and will not break and has a removable cable. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 19
It is very often a cord problem. But I don't twist/bend my headphone cords that much as far as I know. It always happens when I am listening to music on my mp3 player which is in my pocket. I figure that the weight of the cord pulls the cord down near the jack plug causing the cable to break internally there. As for storage, I pretty sure the problem isn't there as I take good care of my headphones. I know, my headphone history seems to speak otherwise but I really do take care of them.

I read up the V-MODA crossfade LP but as far as I am able to find out, people do not like them that much. One of the reasons being that the bass is too overpowered. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 19
You can find the same headphone as the FA-003 or Brainwavz HM5 on Jaycar for $50. At least, I've read they're the same (and they certainly look identical). I don't think you can really beat them for the price, even under $100. They're simply built, yet very sturdy. I think it would be very difficult to damage them.

Here's the link, btw.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks, I am actually looking into the Jaycar version. If what everybody has been saying about them is true than they should offer good value for money. The only thing I am trying to work out at this point is how to have them shipped to me. The shipping process, and moreover the costs involved, are highly confusing. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 19
You can buy MDR-V6's at your local sony store and they will price match it to amazon. You can try them out and if you don't like them you can return them. I personally like Koss Portapros as well and mine are going for about 6 months so far, with a lifetime warranty no questions asked. Books and heavy objects have smashed my portapros and I toss them around pretty often and bring them everywhere with me, I've even sat on them on accident once lol. I've found Portapros at a store called F.Y.E before.

Jun 29, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #10 of 19
Just get something with a detachable cord, then buy a bunch of replacement cables. Something with a simple 1/8" plug at the headphone would be the simplest/cheapest to replace. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 19
You can find the same headphone as the FA-003 or Brainwavz HM5 on Jaycar for $50. At least, I've read they're the same (and they certainly look identical). I don't think you can really beat them for the price, even under $100. They're simply built, yet very sturdy. I think it would be very difficult to damage them.

Here's the link, btw.

where are you finding them for 50? im on the jaycar site and i only see them for 80, have no idea if thats with shipping included or not

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
where are you finding them for 50? im on the jaycar site and i only see them for 80, have no idea if thats with shipping included or not

I linked them in my post. :p

Jun 30, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
You can buy MDR-V6's at your local sony store and they will price match it to amazon. You can try them out and if you don't like them you can return them. I personally like Koss Portapros as well and mine are going for about 6 months so far, with a lifetime warranty no questions asked. Books and heavy objects have smashed my portapros and I toss them around pretty often and bring them everywhere with me, I've even sat on them on accident once lol. I've found Portapros at a store called F.Y.E before.

It is ideal that they have lifetime warranty but the Portapros are not full size headphones. I have looked at other Koss reviews of their headphones in the sub $100 but people don't seem to like them that much. One of the major reasons that they are crappy build.

Quote:
Just get something with a detachable cord, then buy a bunch of replacement cables. Something with a simple 1/8" plug at the headphone would be the simplest/cheapest to replace. 

That is what I figured, if I have an unlimited supply of replacement cords then my problem would be solved. Which is why I am looking at the Digitech Pro Monitor Headphones on Jaycar. 

Quote:

I linked them in my post. :p

Jaycar's website is the most confusing of all. On the Australian website you pay 110 AUD for the headphones and shipping. On the US website you pay 70 USD for the headphones and shipping. And on the UK website you pay 32 GBP for the headphones and shipping. This translates to a euro price of: 88euros, 55euros, and 40euros. The arbitrage opportunity between the websites is so large, does anyone have any experience with Jaycar ordering of their UK website whilst having them shipped not to the UK?

Jun 30, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #14 of 19
In one reply you mention that the V6 do not have enough bass for you. I can't believe somebody would recommend the HM5/Jaycar after reading that. They are very neutral and flat headphones. Do not get them if bass is your concern.

Look into the aforementioned LP2 if you're after the bass at that price. There's also the less-recommended Phillips O'Neil The Stretch headphones. Surprisingly substantial bass without being muddy and are damn near indestructible.

Jun 30, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:
In one reply you mention that the V6 do not have enough bass for you. I can't believe somebody would recommend the HM5/Jaycar after reading that. They are very neutral and flat headphones. Do not get them if bass is your concern.
Look into the aforementioned LP2 if you're after the bass at that price. There's also the less-recommended Phillips O'Neil The Stretch headphones. Surprisingly substantial bass without being muddy and are damn near indestructible.

Thank you for your advice and I am truly sorry for the paradoxical replies but I am finding out more about different headphones at the same time. I mentioned that "I looked in to the MDR-V6 earlier but according to most reviews it is lacking somewhat of a bass". I have no experience myself with the V6. I changed my mind with regards to the amount of bass. My DBI's did not have a lot of bass either and I loved their sound. I have listened to the Philips headphones you mentioned but I did not like them that much. This is over half a year ago though. Granted, they are damn near indestructible. But if you see my headphone record, I tend to break my headphones rather quick, especially the cords. The Jaycar/HM5 do have one LARGE advantage for me and that is that I could swap cords rather easily if a cord breaks. That is why I ordered a pair of Jaycars. If they suck, I will only have spend 40euros and I could buy another pair of headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back