Which headphones are better for me?
Apr 2, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
The D2000 is actually similar to the HE400 in that both have a happy sound (i.e. a U shaped frequency response). The HD650 is closer to linear sounding. The HE400 does implement different technology and have a 30 day return policy if purchased from head-direct. So I'll concede on those two points.

The D2000 is quite hard to find right now, and costs more than the HE-400.
Is it worth the difference? It HAS got, mostly, the best reviews ever..
Is an up-step to the HE-500\D5000 worth it? Is there enough difference in the sound to invest in higher priced headphones like those?

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #18 of 28
While the D2000 is a very well liked headphone around here you need to take into account that they are being sold most of the time used at severe markup prices because of demand since they have been discontinued. They used to be around $225 on sale new before they were discontinued. Now are going for $300 new.

Now I have never heard the D2ks and i an sure they are great, but unless you are dead set i would think buying hd650 or he-400 would giver you more value for your money

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:53 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:
While the D2000 is a very well liked headphone around here you need to take into account that they are being sold most of the time used at severe markup prices because of demand since they have been discontinued. They used to be around $225 on sale new before they were discontinued. Now are going for $300 new.

The majority of people like them for there bass, I'm not convinced. I bought them for around $160 and didn't feel I got my moneys-worth. I would recommend just about anything else.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #21 of 28
I felt the same way too. D2000 sounds crap esp right after you have listened to D5000.

Well, it should be, given they cost about twice!
So, I think we're back at the HD650 vs. HE-400 point.
The 650 cost MUCH more, atleast where I live, I can't test both, and the 650 has no return policy, which the HiFiMAN are supose to provide.
I am STILL not sure about anything, tho. I've heard alot about the 650 and 600, and always liked Sennheiser. The 598 are perfect for me, but they need an improvement across the range; I feel as if they need more bass, slightly more speed, insturment separation, the highs are almost perfect, and the mids are very good, but all can improve.

Apr 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #22 of 28
Is the focus on mids/bass your first priority? I loved the sound of my HE-400 (EQ'd a bit of upper treble out) but sold it in search of better comfort. I love my old Beyer DT770s, but am in search for better mids/treble. If you're used to, and attached to, the feel of Senns on your head maybe the HD650 is the better choice? I don't own a pair yet, but the FR graphs show a mid-bass focus over the HD600. The HE-400s are fast though and have impressive bass response and impact, though, just aren't generally rated as high in the comfort. Just have to pick your priorities.

Apr 3, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #24 of 28
I loved the Q701 when I had it but like everyone else have already said, I don't think it fits you. I actually loved the speed and quality of the basso n the Q701 and hated it on the D5000. Personal preferences.

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
The D2000 is quite hard to find right now, and costs more than the HE-400.
Is it worth the difference? It HAS got, mostly, the best reviews ever..
Is an up-step to the HE-500\D5000 worth it? Is there enough difference in the sound to invest in higher priced headphones like those?

Probably not, if you're just going to listen to "old school pop". Something more mainstream like the Momentums might be better. You won't have to worry about trying to drive them and you can just enjoy the music instead of hearing every last bit of detail. (Most pop music nowadays are pretty badly recorded anyway.) Plus, they're light and comfy, which is also what you want. The HE400 are pretty darn heavy.

Apr 3, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #27 of 28
I'm feeling old now, too. When I read "old school pop" I think Michael Jackson and Madonna.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #28 of 28
I'm feeling old now, too. When I read "old school pop" I think Michael Jackson and Madonna.

You're not old. You're like wine! You get better as you age. So does your taste of music! (Expenation: everyone liked Michael Jackson, he was mainstream pop. Now he's not, and if you listen to him, you're special, and have a great taste in music :)
Either way, guys, I am not going to buy any closed headphones, mostly because I just love the airy sound of my Sennies.
I got someone who has an HD650 for sale, Ill try and listen to it.
But I think I'll like the HE-400 or 500, people say they are VERY fun, very fast, precise and bassy.

Is the focus on mids/bass your first priority? I loved the sound of my HE-400 (EQ'd a bit of upper treble out) but sold it in search of better comfort. I love my old Beyer DT770s, but am in search for better mids/treble. If you're used to, and attached to, the feel of Senns on your head maybe the HD650 is the better choice? I don't own a pair yet, but the FR graphs show a mid-bass focus over the HD600. The HE-400s are fast though and have impressive bass response and impact, though, just aren't generally rated as high in the comfort. Just have to pick your priorities.

My focus is on mids, a bit of bass, yes, but the treble must me fine, not harsh.
Why are the HE-400 not comfy? What makes it uncomfortable?
I heard the DT990, I just hated it. The bass is great and deep but the highs are just rubbish, and upper mids are horrible.
Did you test the HE-500? If so, can you quickly compare the 400 and 500, please?
Do they have a similar sound signature to the HD598?
You're not old. You're like wine! You get better as you age. So does your taste of music! (Expenation: everyone liked Michael Jackson, he was mainstream pop. Now he's not, and if you listen to him, you're special, and have a great taste in music :)
Either way, guys, I am not going to buy any closed headphones, mostly because I just love the airy sound of my Sennies.
I got someone who has an HD650 for sale, Ill try and listen to it.
But I think I'll like the HE-400 or 500, people say they are VERY fun, very fast, precise and bassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back