Which headphones are better for me?
Mar 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

tals

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, Ill make it short because some people just TL;DR.
So, right now I have the HD598.
Its a very nice set of cans, I love it in every way but sometimes I feel they just dont push it far enough. The bass needs more oomph, the mids are perfect, and the higher end sometimes feels a bit to skreeky.. Too hard on the ears.
I want to upgrade!
I am thinking about either the HiFiMan HE-400, the HD650, the HD600, or the AKG Q701, OR the ATH-AD900X.
I havent listened to any of those, but I know the HD600 is exactly like the HD598 just better in every way, and the HD650 has better bass over the HD600.
I know that the Q701 is amazing, the bass is a bit lacking but is good enough.
I know nothing of the ATH-AD900X.
Can anyone help me choose what to buy?
CD Rip through iTunes (Apple Loseless File) --> HRT Music Streamer II --> Little Dot Mk3 stock pipes.
I listen mainly to old school pop (Christina Aguilera Stripped and Back to Basics), Alicia Keys, Beyonce, Jason Mraz, Gwen Stefani, Black Eyed Peas, Shakira, etc.

I want a BIG focus on bass and mids, but the highs must be great; I listened to the DT990, and I just didnt like it. The mids were OK, the bass was AMAZING but the highs felt just rubbish. I borrowed that pair from someone who listens to Leonard Cohen, so..  He enjoys them in a different way than I do.
I listen mostly to female vocals or high-pitched males like Jason Mraz.
What should I pick? Thank you, alot, for answering!

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #2 of 28
**** that stuff is old school now? Damn I'm getting old... hahah

If you're looking for bass, you probably won't find what you're looking for in the 701s. They are tilted to the high end and don't necessarily lack in bass, but they certainly don't emphasize it. 

HD600s are my go to headphones for both listening and professional work. They have plenty of low end and a beautiful mid/high-end. I love them to death. BUT they don't really punch in the bass -- it's definitely more of a softer presentation. They are excellent for all kinds of music, especially vocals. 

HD650 are supposed to emphasize the bass a little more than the 600s. I have only ever used them in a professional capacity where I did not like them because they were just too flattering for critical work. They may fit the bill for you here. 

No comment on the ATs as I haven't used them. 

Mar 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
**** that stuff is old school now? Damn I'm getting old... hahah

If you're looking for bass, you probably won't find what you're looking for in the 701s. They are tilted to the high end and don't necessarily lack in bass, but they certainly don't emphasize it. 

HD600s are my go to headphones for both listening and professional work. They have plenty of low end and a beautiful mid/high-end. I love them to death. BUT they don't really punch in the bass -- it's definitely more of a softer presentation. They are excellent for all kinds of music, especially vocals. 

HD650 are supposed to emphasize the bass a little more than the 600s. I have only ever used them in a professional capacity where I did not like them because they were just too flattering for critical work. They may fit the bill for you here. 

No comment on the ATs as I haven't used them. 

Not really, but when compared to "modern" pop, all you hear about is Niki Minaj and other fu*kheads. I just hate that music - too bad my family does! *Facepalm*
But yeah, when I say old school I mean the good kind of pop, the time it had meaning and vocals, not all computers. Not even sure its pop, to be honest.
I dont want an emphasize on the bass, I want it to be just better than the HD598.
If the Q701's bass is the same, I might as well take it if it can compare to the HD6x0, since I can just boost it a bit on iTunes and it cost less.
If its worse than the 598's, which one is better? If you compare the HD600 and 650, does the 650 only have better bass than the 600?
Or is it a completly different headphone?

Mar 28, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 28
I have both the HD 600 and the He400 and honestly from the genre and artists you listed you would definitely prefer the He400's they sounded absolutely fantastic with Taylor Swift's latest album and Justin Timberlake's as well. There is a good amount of bass and the mids are on point. The 600's are a more neutral boring can when compared the the he400 in my opinion.

Mar 29, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #5 of 28
I would hesitate to recommend the AD900X for you mostly because you comment on the HD598 highs being a bit harsh - it would also be unknown whether or not the AD900X would actually be an upgrade rather than a sidegrade.

Of the models you have listed, I agree that the clearest upgrade would be the HE-400, though they are probably the least comfortable option.

You might find Tyll's graphs for all the headphones you mentioned quite useful:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Also please don't circumvent the word filter with characters.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:
I have both the HD 600 and the He400 and honestly from the genre and artists you listed you would definitely prefer the He400's they sounded absolutely fantastic with Taylor Swift's latest album and Justin Timberlake's as well. There is a good amount of bass and the mids are on point. The 600's are a more neutral boring can when compared the the he400 in my opinion.

Thanks, mate! I AM honestly leaning towards the HE400 :) But what do you think about the 650?
Quote:
I would hesitate to recommend the AD900X for you mostly because you comment on the HD598 highs being a bit harsh - it would also be unknown whether or not the AD900X would actually be an upgrade rather than a sidegrade.

Of the models you have listed, I agree that the clearest upgrade would be the HE-400, though they are probably the least comfortable option.

You might find Tyll's graphs for all the headphones you mentioned quite useful:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Also please don't circumvent the word filter with characters.

The highs are not extremly harsh, just some times, I feel like it's giving up on them instead of making them a bit softer..
If that makes sense. And Im also talking about pretty high notes.
Also, if you compare the HE400 and the 650 or 600, how do they sound? Is just EVERYTHING better on the HE400?
Or just the bass and highs? What about insturment seperation?
Also, thanks alot for helping me out, guys! :)
P.S, the 600 and 650 will cost MUCH more for me to get, so if the upgrade is very small or none existant, I dont think its worth it.
I do want to mention that the 598 are EXTREMLY comfy. I can literally wear them for 10 hours straight and not feel a thing - is that something the HE400 will miss? I am wearing glasses, and I dont feel a thing with the 598, will the he400 press on any part of my ear? The 598 just goes perfectly around it.
Also, how does the cans perform when it comes to rock, or fast music with lots of insturments?
EDIT: If I could spill out a bit more, is the upgrade from the HE400 to the 500 worth it? What's the difference between them?

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 28
You want bass?  DT990/600 ohm.  Your amp can handle them.

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #9 of 28
Save up and get the HD650. You'll get more oomph in bass and softer highs while retaining the similar sound signature of the HD598.

I had both the HD598 and HD600. Tonally they were virtually identical. The 600 had a little better resolution while the 598 had better soundstage. I found the bass quantity about the same.

Also had the HE400. I didn't like it for vocal music. Too dark. Great for EDM.

The Q701 makes the 598 seem like a basshead headphone.

Frankly, I like the Beyer Custom One Pro for pop. It's similar to the DT990 but you get punchier bass, more upfront mids and softer highs. Soundstage is pretty decent for a closed can.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #10 of 28
Very nice synopsis.  I would tend to agree with these descriptions.

Quote:
Save up and get the HD650. You'll get more oomph in bass and softer highs while retaining the similar sound signature of the HD598.

I had both the HD598 and HD600. Tonally they were virtually identical. The 600 had a little better resolution while the 598 had better soundstage. I found the bass quantity about the same.

Also had the HE400. I didn't like it for vocal music. Too dark. Great for EDM.

The Q701 makes the 598 seem like a basshead headphone.

Frankly, I like the Beyer Custom One Pro for pop. It's similar to the DT990 but you get punchier bass, more upfront mids and softer highs. Soundstage is pretty decent for a closed can.

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:
Very nice synopsis.  I would tend to agree with these descriptions.

I think you guys didn't understand what I mean - I want to stay as far away as I can from the DT990's sound signature.
I just dont like it at all. The bass is great, the highs are irritable.
I think this thread now focuses on 650 vs. 600 vs. HE-400.
I am kinda leaning towards the HE-400 beacuse they're planar, and different than what I have right now.
I listen mostly to fast music, and a lot of people tend to say to stay away from the Sennheisers.
I do LOVE their comfort.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 28
If you're getting the HE400, make sure to do the jergpad mod. I found the HE400 to be severely lacking the vocal midrange area out-of-the-box. The jergpads open them up quite a bit.

I still think you should try the Custom One's. It has even better bass and mid performance than the DT990 and a completely lacking in "irritable" highs.

Or you can scour for some used Denon D2000/5000's.

Apr 1, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #13 of 28
Quote:
If you're getting the HE400, make sure to do the jergpad mod. I found the HE400 to be severely lacking the vocal midrange area out-of-the-box. The jergpads open them up quite a bit.

I still think you should try the Custom One's. It has even better bass and mid performance than the DT990 and a completely lacking in "irritable" highs.

Or you can scour for some used Denon D2000/5000's.

How will the D2000 compare to the HD650 and the HE-400?
And THANK you!

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #14 of 28
The D2000 is actually similar to the HE400 in that both have a happy sound (i.e. a U shaped frequency response). The HD650 is closer to linear sounding. The HE400 does implement different technology and have a 30 day return policy if purchased from head-direct. So I'll concede on those two points.

Apr 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:
The D2000 is actually similar to the HE400 in that both have a happy sound (i.e. a U shaped frequency response). The HD650 is closer to linear sounding. The HE400 does implement different technology and have a 30 day return policy if purchased from head-direct. So I'll concede on those two points.

Does it really? Is it world-wide? Cant find any information on the site itself.
I really hope this aint any April Fools joke, coz that would suck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back