Which Headphones?!? $150 limit
Oct 4, 2011 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ghettokumquats

New Head-Fier
-Won't be using an amp
-Must be circumaural & comfy (good for listening sessions of 5+ hours)
-Must be closed
-I enjoy controlled bass over big bass
-I'll be using them for recording acoustic guitar/vocals so they need to be very neutral
-My music preference is Classic Rock/Indie Rock/Indie Folk
        -Favorite bands include Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Fleet Foxes, Mumford & Sons,
                                           Beatles, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, U2, Muddy Waters, 
                                           Stevie Ray Vaughn, Iron and Wine, Una & The Sound, Cream,
                                           Pink Floyd...just to name a few :)

Before everyone says it, I know the M50's are great, so give me different suggestions. I've listened to the AKG K142 and K172, I found them to have absolutely wonderful sound quality. I've been looking at the K271 MKII for a while, if anyone has experience with these cans I would love to hear about it.

Oct 5, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 13
Shure SRH840's. Tight but controlled bass, neutral, does a good job with acoustic, and detailed. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 13
Heya,

K271 MKII: 55ohm, 91dB/mW sensitivity, pleather pads, detachable cable. Rated to have a bit less isolation (14dB).
K272 HD: 55ohm, 91dB/mW sensitivity, velour pads, not a detachable cable. Rated to have a tad more isolation (18dB).

The 271 likely is a more studio oriented headphone just looking at the detachable cord. I cannot confirm, but they are likely the same headphone with some tweaks and acoustic differences due to pad material. The 272 shows more bass response on a graph, but I bet it doesn't sound that way with velour pads the way the 271 is going to sound. Those graphs are misleading. I don't have both in hand right now or I'd be able to confirm, hopefully someone has them and can let you know what's what.

Very best,

Oct 5, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #7 of 13
Oct 5, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 13

Shures SRH840 are okay, in my opinion they jumped the gun a little with the release and the 940 corrects a few issues the 840 had, namely the mid-bass hump. I would consider both the 840 to sound similar to the 7506 without the coloration. Of course you won't get many recommendations away from todays new flavors, it's just the trend.

The graphs shows the 840s to spike in the mid-bass, the 940s are controlled much better and the 7506 are flatter still. I would consider the 7506 as a monitoring headphone which you might find boring in comparison to the colored sound of the Shures.

Oct 7, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Shures SRH840 are okay, in my opinion they jumped the gun a little with the release and the 940 corrects a few issues the 840 had, namely the mid-bass hump. I would consider both the 840 to sound similar to the 7506 without the coloration. Of course you won't get many recommendations away from todays new flavors, it's just the trend.

The graphs shows the 840s to spike in the mid-bass, the 940s are controlled much better and the 7506 are flatter still. I would consider the 7506 as a monitoring headphone which you might find boring in comparison to the colored sound of the Shures.

OT here, but I hate that graph, it makes the 840s look like total bass monsters, which isn't right. I think these more accurately show the differences between the two:

srh840
srh940

So you have a slight midbass hump vs a midbass hole, which is what I hear, and the more cranked up upper mids and treble of the 940. So it's hard to say it's a corrected 840, it's really more of a different flavor.

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #13 of 13
Okay, I tried out the srh 840 at guitar center, and found them very uncomfortable. I have very large, odd shaped ears that stick out and they started hurting after just a couple of minutes of wearing the headphones. They sounded great, but comfort is a very important factor IMO. I know the K271 mkii's have big velvet pads, they look super comfy and the cups are massive/shaped differently than the 840's, so I think I may go with those as theyre on amazon for $139 right now.                                                       

Users who are viewing this thread

Back