Which Headphone vs headphone ! The list ! Under £150! so so many opinions and threads!! I need any audiophiles patience time and help drastically!

If you had to out of these 5 which one?

• Shure 840

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shure 440

• AT m50x

• Total voters
Jun 12, 2017 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Yogibear91

100+ Head-Fier
so I have done weeks if not a month of research trying to settle on a new pair of headphones for less than £150 and move away from iem's.
as there's no store near me for miles and hours where I can actually try them listen and form my own opinion, I have to try form it through reviews and graphs from YouTube head fi ect.

Which leads me to my ultimate question.... i need some closed cans that are genuinly for 60% studio/synth/drum monitoring and 40% for just enjoying and analysing music. I enjoy a flat response lots of detail but not an overly cold sound..
I realise there a literally thousands of threads on this matter! which is why i come to you with a final list in order of 1 a click away from purchasing to 4 need some more opinions but have potential to be swayed! along with some questions and thoughts i have.

*shure 840s/ 940's are the latter worth the extra few quid?

*brainwavz Hm5 (the neutral king of the price range?)

*audio technica m40x

*krk 8400

if there is one on that list that just stands out to you as the end game of that price range and you've personally listened please tell me and why!?
Alternatively if you really feel strongly i could of chosen better please say what you would add or buy instead and why..

Finally with the help of z reviews and a lot of head fi's audiophiles reviews and threads I have always managed to settle on something before now, there is just so much choice in my price range!
I realise theres alot of questions asked here So any answers and all opinions will be very much appreciated and taken on board.
Kind regards
✌✌✌

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 13
I can't believe I am doing this, given the vastness of your list, but I am going to add something that should shoot to near the top of the pile and that is the SoundMAGIC HP151. I really think it is terrific in your price range (119.99 GBP on amazon UK). Other than that, I like the K553 Pro and the M40x, which I also prefer to the M50x (it is more neutral). Not sure how you are going to narrow this down, but you need to if you are going to try to settle on one. It's hard to do, I know.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 13
I would definitely cross the M 50's off the list as it has very bloated bass to me that seeps into the mids. I've owned a pair of HD-280's for well over 10 years and they are very good for what they are. They do have a bit of clamp and can get a little uncomfortable after a time. Haven't heard the others so can't say anything about any of those. Haven't heard the HP 151's but the 150's were pretty good for the price though.

Jun 12, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #4 of 13
I can't believe I am doing this, given the vastness of your list, but I am going to add something that should shoot to near the top of the pile and that is the SoundMAGIC HP151. I really think it is terrific in your price range (119.99 GBP on amazon UK). Other than that, I like the K553 Pro and the M40x, which I also prefer to the M50x (it is more neutral). Not sure how you are going to narrow this down, but you need to if you are going to try to settle on one. It's hard to do, I know.

Thanks I will check them out for sure!
I agree the list is vast which is why I need all the help i can get to narrow it down!lol! the multiple sennheiser and akg models are on the end because there are so many with just a few quid between them there has got to be a stand out in the line up! so thanks for helping me establish the k553 pro is the pick of the akg bunch! Also I might just have to save and get a 2nd hand m40x just to listen to the hype myself apparantly the quality to price ratio is untouchable from what ive rwad / heard! Any thanks again input is awsome! Time to check out these soundmagics!

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 13
I would definitely cross the M 50's off the list as it has very bloated bass to me that seeps into the mids. I've owned a pair of HD-280's for well over 10 years and they are very good for what they are. They do have a bit of clamp and can get a little uncomfortable after a time. Haven't heard the others so can't say anything about any of those. Haven't heard the HP 151's but the 150's were pretty good for the price though.

I agree comfort is a must when thinking about headphones 2nd only imo to sound quality! apparently the brainwavz have amazing comfort factor! Thanks for your judgement of sennheisers there's so many model numbers like akg it gets overwhelming when researching them sometimes

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes there is a bunch of AKG models I've only heard several of the 7 and 8 series and a par of Vintage K240 Sextetts super hard to drive but I have a amp that will run them with ease and they are quite something but that is not what your looking for as those are open or semi open the only closed back AKG I've heard and own are the K872's they are fantastic but waaay over budget. It's very hard picking something by reviews and graphs I know there is hardly anything close to me to listen to but then I found HeadFi and meets.

Jun 13, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 13

Have had a good look into these and only found a lot of reviews for the hp150 really but apparently there quality thanks for the reccomendation you just made my decision even harder! Can you help me identify the differences between the hp150 and 151's as I can't really find anything to help with that question online atm though I'll keep digging !
Ok done some more digging apparently the only thing that's changed build quality and sound signature is same you agree?

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #10 of 13
Ok thank you how do you mean? I realise in ear is a totaly different sound but are the 840's still as perfectly analytical as the 215 for monitoring purposes?
I don't think most people would use the SE215 for monitoring purposes but...The SRH 840 is tuned with a balanced/neutral (with a tilt to warmth) sound while the SE215 has a warmer/bassier tone.

Jun 13, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Fair enough I found my drum tracks to be mastered and monitored awesomely by using the se215 especially... but i dont have the broadest of headphone expieriance more experiance with monitors, your right though they are a tad bass rich but no beats hahaha . But if 840s sound like you say and I expect them to sound different even more balanced and analytical with slight warmth ,I will find it hard to scratch them off.. you heard any of the others on the list that you can comment on as your opinion is very much appreciated ? Also do you use a dac/ headphone amp with your 840s if so which one?

Jun 13, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 13
Have had a good look into these and only found a lot of reviews for the hp150 really but apparently there quality thanks for the reccomendation you just made my decision even harder! Can you help me identify the differences between the hp150 and 151's as I can't really find anything to help with that question online atm though I'll keep digging !
Ok done some more digging apparently the only thing that's changed build quality and sound signature is same you agree?
Yes--it was a build quality reengineer. Much better constructed now. Very solid now. SQ is the same terrific sound as previously.

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:13 AM Post #13 of 13
Fair enough I found my drum tracks to be mastered and monitored awesomely by using the se215 especially... but i dont have the broadest of headphone expieriance more experiance with monitors, your right though they are a tad bass rich but no beats hahaha . But if 840s sound like you say and I expect them to sound different even more balanced and analytical with slight warmth ,I will find it hard to scratch them off.. you heard any of the others on the list that you can comment on as your opinion is very much appreciated ? Also do you use a dac/ headphone amp with your 840s if so which one?

I don't own the SRH840, I have only owned it's little brother the SRH440. I have demoed the SRH840 plenty of times and I am quite familiar with it though. For what DAC/Amp I used to use with the SRH440, I used to use the Fiio E07K but I have sold my SRH440 a long time ago. I haven't heard any of the other phones but I think if you're into modding, the T50RP MKIII would possibly be a good choice. I haven't heard any of the T50RP mods nor the T50RP itself but I have seen many positive reviews on them (the mods).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back