Which headphone to keep?
Oct 21, 2009 at 12:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

quikgp

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I apologize for posting so many questions lately, but I'm really struggling with this decision. My "better half" has laid down the law and told me to cut down my headphone collection. I managed to convince her that I needed 2 headphones (she was adamant about 1). I'm going to go with 1 being open and 1 being closed. I believe I've narrowed down my closed choice. I purchased an ESW10jpn and its on its way now (however I've never heard one and if this can doesn't work out, the denon d7000 will be its replacement). Out of my open cans, I currently own the K701 and RS2. I love both cans for different reasons, but I'm really struggling with which to keep and which to get rid of. I love the soundstaging and analytical side of the K701's, but I love the intamcy and Grado house sound. Aside from their sound, I prefer the grado's comfort and light weight over the AKG's.

The other thing I thought of, was to sell both of these phones and buy something a step up (not sure if an HD800 falls into my price category though) - is there a way to keep the fun of the Grado while adding the soundstage and detail of the 701?

Any suggestions? (please help!)

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #2 of 27
Beyerdynamic DT-880 perhaps
confused_face_2.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 27
You should lay down the law on your wife... something like no more than 20$ for an haircut... or no more than 1000 calories a day
biggrin.gif
... or something like I'm sorry honey get rid of the cat
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 27
Do this: pass one headphone to your friend, and you can exchange once in a while whenever you feel like listening to the other one.

I volunteer to be your friend. I hope Malaysia ain't too far for you.

P.S: I don't think the "hide it for a while and see what happens" will work. Tried that before. I ended up forgotten about it, and she always found those items during the "annual house cleaning". What happened next... T_T

Or you can try lots of roses + 0.00001 carrot diamond and see if that does the trick...

Oct 21, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #7 of 27
If amped, I'd go for the D7000 and K701. If ampless, the ESW10 and RS2.

I've not heard the ESW10, but cannot fathom it sounding as good as the D7000. I haven't had mine for long, but right now, feel it betters the Ed 9 by presenting a headstage with more space between the instruments.

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 27
If I were you I'd go for the Denon D7000 & AKG K701.

Kind Regards,
Force.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by quikgp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of my open cans, I currently own the K701 and RS2. I love both cans for different reasons, but I'm really struggling with which to keep and which to get rid of. I love the soundstaging and analytical side of the K701's, but I love the intamcy and Grado house sound. Aside from their sound, I prefer the grado's comfort and light weight over the AKG's.

The other thing I thought of, was to sell both of these phones and buy something a step up (not sure if an HD800 falls into my price category though) - is there a way to keep the fun of the Grado while adding the soundstage and detail of the 701?

Any suggestions? (please help!)

A very comfortable headphone with good soundstage that you may want to consider is the Audio Technica ATH-AD2000. I find it gives the fun of the Grados, is more comfortable and has good soundstage. I don't recall the K701soundstage, but it is not as wide as the K501 was, but deeper (if that makes sense).

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 27
I know many of these people advocate getting rid of the wife, but I urge you. Get rid of the headphones =p... A wife is much more important than a pair of headphones!!

This should be in that one thread of you know your audiophile when... you give up your wife for headphones.

Oct 21, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 27
I like the K701's but if I had to make a final choice I would keep the Grados.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #13 of 27
Wives are one of the most understanding people around.
You must keep both the AKG K701 & Grado RS1 because they possess different sound signatures that you enjoy.

Also, share your headphones with your wife, I'm sure she will be happy listening to it too. If you are using the K701, then she will be using RS1. Cool.

Have a happy headphone listening experience to both of you.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As Patrick Henry said, "give me Liberators or give me Darths"

Quote of the week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back