which has more bass? HD650 or HD600
Mar 1, 2009 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

zantetsuken

100+ Head-Fier
Ive not had the chance to try them on, and i am unable to audition them, i checked the frequency response and looks like the 650 is the winner..but i wanted to confirm since ive been hearing the senns are bass shy?..

if someones also heard the PX100 i really like the bass on that, so i wanted to ask is it similar? I like more bass frequencies rather than bright and upper frequencies. which is better for me?

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 49
The HD650 has more, but I find it to be a more muddy bass in comparison to the HD600 which to me has a lot cleaner bass. It also dependsa on you're surrounding equipement. One should not that i'm from the camp that did not like the HD650 in that I found it to be a downgrade from the HD600. (Also the HD600 and HD650 are anything but bright).

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #3 of 49
The 650s have a tiny bit more bass. Imo both phones aren't bass shy at all, I'd say they a pretty balanced in terms of frequency response. In reality the difference between the 2 are really small with the same cable last time I did an A/B test at the Sydney meet.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650s have a tiny bit more bass. Imo both phones aren't bass shy at all, I'd say they a pretty balanced in terms of frequency response. In reality the difference between the 2 are really small with the same cable last time I did an A/B test at the Sydney meet.

Really? I've always found there to be quite a large difference. It's all subjective I guess.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 49
I'm also in the camp that prefers the HD600 to the HD650. I find that the HD650 is too bass heavy, and thus has a presentation that, to me, seems unnatural. The HD600 is more balanced sonically, and I like it better...a LOT better.

As an aside, I suspect that when powered by an amp with some real juice, the HD650 will sound better. I'd like an opportunity to try them in balanced configuration in my home rig, as I think balancing does well with both of these cans.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I've always found there to be quite a large difference. It's all subjective I guess.

I dunno we had 3 people do the test with 2x blue dragon cables, and I was certainly surprised at how small the difference was, and it was pretty hard to distinguish between the two. And the other 2 felt the difference was small as well iirc.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dunno we had 3 people do the test with 2x blue dragon cables, and I was certainly surprised at how small the difference was, and it was pretty hard to distinguish between the two. And the other 2 felt the difference was small as well iirc.

Just interested if you remember the source/amp you where using. To me the difference is close to day and night.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by zantetsuken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive not had the chance to try them on, and i am unable to audition them, i checked the frequency response and looks like the 650 is the winner..but i wanted to confirm since ive been hearing the senns are bass shy?..

if someones also heard the PX100 i really like the bass on that, so i wanted to ask is it similar? I like more bass frequencies rather than bright and upper frequencies. which is better for me?

I would recommend not getting the HD650 before you had a chance to listen to it. It colors all music to a very dark and depressing mood, thus ruining a lot of music for me.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just interested if you remember the source/amp you where using. To me the difference is close to day and night.

Yea it was the rig in my sig :x Maybe it's not revealing enough? Do both of your HD6x0's have the white mesh?

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 49
The HD-650 is a little darker, a little smoother and a little groovier. I've preferred the HD-600 to the HD-650 and vice versa. I keep going back and forth on them. Lately, I've really been enjoying the HD-650 on 2A3 tubes. There's a smooth, dark, luscious synergy there.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 49
To simplify for the OP, there is a split between people in which one they prefer. The only way to know for sure sure is to use each of them.
smily_headphones1.gif
(I know this comment may not be entierly helpfull for you if there are no hi-fi stores nearby).

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 49
The HD650 is supposed to have a bit more, but when I auditioned ogabooga's HD600 and compared them to my HD650, they had more bass than the HD650. This was a very clear difference. Two other people, including ogabooga confirmed this. So why was there more bass on the HD600s? Well first of all, they had the HD650 cables, second, they had more clamping force (i had bent the metal to loosen them a bit), the HD600s also had slightly more compressed pads from use (my HD650s were very lightly used).

Thus, the pad compression and clamping force make a pretty significant change to the sound so you can easily make the HD600 sound bassier.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #15 of 49
well i was thinking to go for the Hd600, im a fan of almost any genre of music..alot of which is quite relaxing..sometimes i listen to upfront and aggressive music but not that often..mostly its just pop..or reggae or some slow jams..anything goes really..so i thought they wud be best for now...and in future im thinking to buy another pair of headphones..something else which can be more specific to a particular genre.

i will probably go for the HD600s soon enough..my other question is..right now i wana run my music out of my computer...straight flac->foobar->phones

so i dont have an amp..whats a good amp i can buy?..something cheap, good quality, that will last a while?..something say sub $300USD?.

and also..if i buy an amp how do i hook up my computer and the amp?..dont i need a dac or something as well? or can it be rigged to go straight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back