Which Grados are best on the low end?
Aug 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JasonZ10

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I'm looking at getting a(nother) new pair of headphones, and Grados look amazing. Are there any Grados that have good bass? (I listen to electronic, industrial rock/metal, and rap) If not I'm going to go with the HD 25-1 ii's. Are those a good choice?

Thanks,

Edit: I'd like to spend around $200

The new question is, should i get the SR80i's or the SR125i's
I kind of want to get the Senns and the Grados, hah. :\
Becoming an audiophile is an addiction.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #2 of 9
grados are def not recommended for electronic music, but IMO they still sound pretty good. You can mod a pair of sr-60i's that only cost about 69.00 to begin with(new) and the mods actually increase the bass huuuge (although a bit bloated). I found that my modded sr-60i's actually have more bass (quantity, not quality) than my sr-225's stock. although both lack sub-bass, so not for dubstep.

have you heard a grado before? plenty of people are going to recommend other cans for the genres you listed, minus rock

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm not going to suggest a Grado because the above comment sums it up.

Beyerdynamic dt770/80 are great for bassy music and are less than $200. You can score a refurb for less than $100 if the manufacturer adds more on their ebay store.

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
I'm not going to suggest a Grado because the above comment sums it up.

Beyerdynamic dt770/80 are great for bassy music and are less than $200. You can score a refurb for less than $100 if the manufacturer adds more on their ebay store.

I'm looking for something more portable atm (on ear) because I'm going on a trip on the end of the month and I don't want to have to carry my HD598's around. Thanks though, I was looking at the dt770s as my first headphones, but I wanted something open.

Quote:
grados are def not recommended for electronic music, but IMO they still sound pretty good. You can mod a pair of sr-60i's that only cost about 69.00 to begin with(new) and the mods actually increase the bass huuuge (although a bit bloated). I found that my modded sr-60i's actually have more bass (quantity, not quality) than my sr-225's stock. although both lack sub-bass, so not for dubstep.

have you heard a grado before? plenty of people are going to recommend other cans for the genres you listed, minus rock

I'm probably going to get the HD 25-1 ii's for electronic and such. What are the grados good for? Rock, what else?
Also, what mods would I do to improve bass? Just bowl pads?

Aug 30, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 9
My slightly modded SR325is's are very good for electronic music,much better than my DT770's which sound rather muddy after the Grados.Pretty good with dubstep as well.Just don't get some senns and die of boredom.

Aug 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 9
Ultrasone is the right path to take for these genres,especially if you want bass,clarity and descent soundstage..
HFI 580 will do the trick...

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #7 of 9
Why not the Ultrasones? they suit you better i think. 

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 9
If you were looking for portable, just forget the full-sized Grados completely. They have zero isolation and everyone will hear what you're listening to.

Take a look at the XB700s

Aug 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Portable?

Also I'm not going to get the grados anymore. I'm now deeming this topic, dead.

Quote:
Take a look at the XB700s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back