which earphone is significantly improve over UE TripleFi 10?
Nov 6, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #31 of 74
There are times that I miss what the triple.fi does sooo well. But even without the fit issues (which I really disliked), I've never gotten past the weak mids. The Triple.fi's V is a lot of fun; it does rock really, really well. If I were to compliment the triple.fi, I'd consider a mid-rich iem, maybe the RE262 or if budget allows, the SE535. Or maybe something that was more flat like the GR07 could be a nice compliment. Even if the triple.fi was in a westone shell (which I agree would be awesome!), It still couldn't be my number one earphone, due to the genres I listen to most. (I still remember the drums and treble on some songs though!)

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #32 of 74
I can agree with this my Lune cables made a huge difference in my TF10 compared to the stock one.  I did plenty of A/Bing when I had two sets of TF10s.  It brought rid of that mid bass hump I hate, tightened up the bass, and brought the mids forward.

Quote:
Trust me, I don't want to believe it, but I have had too many contrary experiences.  One could say the same about amps and I have seen many such as someone that stated the Fuze headphone out powers a HD650 just fine.  My point is even with the Hifiman 801 or Anedio DAC the TF10 with the stock cable still sounds pretty bad compared with what I am now accustomed to listening to, but I was surprised by the improvements I heard with select cables.  Amp impulse response and crossover interaction is dependent on capacitance and inductance of cables and the braiding can make significant changes.  If you don't think cables make a difference, not a problem, that may be true for you (not specifically directed at you mark, but just a general remark).

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #33 of 74
I had no problem with the mids on the TF10s, especially with the Lune Cables which brought the mids forward ever so slightly, nor did I have any issue with the fit. The main cause for parting with them is I found them extremely thin sounding. While the soundstage is very wide, I felt there was no depth whatsoever and on some metal/rock music they were paper thin to my ears. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #34 of 74
I really do hope Amazon has one last hurrah for the TF10 and does the 99 sale I'll be getting some for backups

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #36 of 74

Quote:
I can agree with this my Lune cables made a huge difference in my TF10 compared to the stock one.  I did plenty of A/Bing when I had two sets of TF10s.  It brought rid of that mid bass hump I hate, tightened up the bass, and brought the mids forward.

Quote:
I had no problem with the mids on the TF10s, especially with the Lune Cables which brought the mids forward ever so slightly, nor did I have any issue with the fit. The main cause for parting with them is I found them extremely thin sounding. While the soundstage is very wide, I felt there was no depth whatsoever and on some metal/rock music they were paper thin to my ears. 

I agree about the depth, except with certain aftermarket cables which add spaciousness and IMO greatly improve the presentation.  The JH16 also exhibits this to my ears, both with the stock cable (doesn't have great depth of soundstage), and a large improvement with certain cables.

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #37 of 74
Which cables improved the TF10s or JH16s the most joe? 

I have only tried the Lunes and frankly the improvements are very minimal. 

Nov 7, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #38 of 74
I cant agree more on the cable. I recently purchased an effect audio cable and the mids totally came out.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #40 of 74

Quote:
Trust me, I don't want to believe it, but I have had too many contrary experiences.  One could say the same about amps and I have seen many such as someone that stated the Fuze headphone out powers a HD650 just fine.  My point is even with the Hifiman 801 or Anedio DAC the TF10 with the stock cable still sounds pretty bad compared with what I am now accustomed to listening to, but I was surprised by the improvements I heard with select cables.  Amp impulse response and crossover interaction is dependent on capacitance and inductance of cables and the braiding can make significant changes.  If you don't think cables make a difference, not a problem, that may be true for you (not specifically directed at you mark, but just a general remark).

oh im quite sure varing the impedance does change things but i just dont want to add it as a variable.  like when i changed the opamps in my xm5, heard one a liked and stopped because im not changing them for different IEM's.

Nov 8, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #41 of 74
Sony EX1000: Musical, good sub-bass, highs are not extended as TF10s. Sound is more natural from these earphones. Definitely recommend these. 
Phiaton PS200 (with TX100 foam tips): Very similar to TF10s with less emphasis on base but sounds more interesting and nice soundstage. Comparing both I prefer PS200 than TF10s (IMO). Again bass might be lean for some listeners. Sounds harsh without TX100 tips. Try it. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #42 of 74

Quote:
oh im quite sure varing the impedance does change things but i just dont want to add it as a variable.  like when i changed the opamps in my xm5, heard one a liked and stopped because im not changing them for different IEM's.

I think a cable is different as chances are it will be used with one earphone and not with many like an op amp in a amp circuit.  And the capacitance and inductance change the leading/trailing edge of a signal as usually impedance doesn't change much from cable to cable.

May 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #45 of 74
If you want a bright sound signature with insane clarity, I would recommend the UM3X. They are a little cold sounding, though. They have remarkable bass (it's very kicky). The IEM is also very sparkly, but a tad analytical. When you listen, you appreciate sonic quality instead of feeling like you want to dance. The separation is simply unparalleled. They are magical for electronic music because of the sharpness.

For a dark sound signature, I would recommend the SM3s. It's an all around great performer with good mids and lows and exceptional soundstaging. The bass isn't very tight, but is commendable. Its major weakness is highs. Treble is not sparkly or super clear, and so the image isn't as sharp across the entire spectrum. It's definitely more fun than the UM3Xs and simply different. It has a very solid and thick sound. I would describe the SM3s very good generalists, but a master of none (which, actually, is a good thing in most cases concerning headphones). They're pretty good at playing most types of music, but not for things with really intricate and delicate sounds. I would imagine they are pretty good for rock, for example, but I have absolutely 0 rock songs, so I wouldn't be able to attest.

If you really like female vocals, very vocal centric music and upper mids, then the SE535s are really the masters there. It's honestly their specialty and vocals that inhabit the upper mid region are simply stellar. They are so remarkably clear and incredibly intimate; it's like they're singing in your ear. 535s are bass anemic and really focus on upper mids and try to push treble. As a result, lows are kind of lacking, but lows aren't too important for some genres of music. The overall clarity is greater than the SM3s though. For example, Hayley Westenra sounds magnificent on the SE535s, and the clarity and closeness of her voice is just unbelievable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back