which earphone is significantly improve over UE TripleFi 10?
Nov 5, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #16 of 74

Quote:
In my own experience, UM3X is better than TF10 by a good margin in terms of SQ and it is no contest in terms of comfort/fit.  I am sure others have other universals that they feel are better than the TF10.  It really depends on what the listener is going for.  

That is a true fact right there. 
biggrin.gif
 I listened to a friend's UM3x last week and I preferred the UM3x when listening to classical only.

Nov 5, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #17 of 74
You want better sound out of a PC with your TF10?  Try PC > Firestone Bravo > Audio-gd NFB-3 > Audio-gd C2.2
evil_smiley.gif

I suppose you could get an iBasso D6 if you don't want to spend so much and stay portable, lol, but it won't sound as good as desktop equipment.  This will also leave you prepared for any future additions to your headphone collection.

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #19 of 74
thanks for the input guys.. How about the Audio Technica ATH-M50? I think I'll just keep my TF10 and get a M50 what do you guys think? or do you guys recommend something else

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #20 of 74

I am intrigued  by your review of the TS842, I love my TF custom, I am going to have to look into this since I have my impression already..
Quote:
TS842 if you don't want to spend for a JH13/16, but if you do the JH16 and Rooth LS8 are good bets.

Nov 6, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #21 of 74
I liked my UM3x, and felt it had better instrument seperation and detail, but I hated the soundstage it sounded too closed in, and I love my hot treble I just wasn't getting enough of it from the UM3x.  It may be better from a technical standpoint, but I found it boring on some songs, and the realism sounded off on some..

Quote:
That is a true fact right there. 
biggrin.gif
 I listened to a friend's UM3x last week and I preferred the UM3x when listening to classical only.

Nov 6, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #22 of 74

Quote:
thanks for the input guys.. How about the Audio Technica ATH-M50? I think I'll just keep my TF10 and get a M50 what do you guys think? or do you guys recommend something else

If you like the TF10 sound signature then I'd say go for it. To my ears, the M50 is basically a headphone version of the TF10.

Nov 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #23 of 74

Sounds good and you can actually take the M50 outside lol
Quote:

Nov 6, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #24 of 74

Quote:
The biggest improvement I have experienced with the TF10 is from a better cable, not an amp, and not even reshelling.

oh thats a whole can of worms that im not going near, plus i feel a lot of cables are poor value for money propositions.

Nov 6, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #25 of 74
Trust me, I don't want to believe it, but I have had too many contrary experiences.  One could say the same about amps and I have seen many such as someone that stated the Fuze headphone out powers a HD650 just fine.  My point is even with the Hifiman 801 or Anedio DAC the TF10 with the stock cable still sounds pretty bad compared with what I am now accustomed to listening to, but I was surprised by the improvements I heard with select cables.  Amp impulse response and crossover interaction is dependent on capacitance and inductance of cables and the braiding can make significant changes.  If you don't think cables make a difference, not a problem, that may be true for you (not specifically directed at you mark, but just a general remark).

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #26 of 74
It's personal preference but I am shocked anyone would take UM3X over TF10 other than fit.  It's not even close.  Stage monitor? Okay, maybe but for listening?  TF10 in a landslide.

It has a much larger soundstage, superior treble and much more air.  It's just more musical in every regard.

Put that TF10 sound into a Westone shell and I would be done.

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #27 of 74
Last time I checked, there was definitely a better; out of all the top tier IEMs I've tried (Triple Fi 10, Shure SE 535, UM3X) along with K702s, I can definitely say that the Triple Fis were the weakest of the bunch.

I got lucky and could easily get proper fit with them (albeit with discomfort after an hour or so) bu the sound quality wasn't fully "complete"; it's a good second behind the Shures and UM3Xs, IMO.

These were all amped and whatnot; don't get me wrong, they're amazing phones and I'm glad they were my first top tier, but there are definitely better phones out there.

The shallow mids are their biggest hurdle, leaving most "real" music (natural like classical, acoustic, vocal oriented, etc.) feeling empty and "light" as opposed to the more intimate, more natural presentation that the UM3Xs/535s offered.

I would say, to the OP, to find out what kind of music you like, find out your price point, and then read what IEMs fit the bill. If I could own two pairs, I'd have the Triple Fis for rap/hip hop/hardcore, etc. and the Shures for everything else.

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #28 of 74

Quote:
It's personal preference but I am shocked anyone would take UM3X over TF10 other than fit.  It's not even close.  Stage monitor? Okay, maybe but for listening?  TF10 in a landslide.

It has a much larger soundstage, superior treble and much more air.  It's just more musical in every regard.

I don't know, although I loved them when I had them, I preferred the UM3Xs to them in all regards. More natural and accurate. Of course it's all personal preference; and if I listened to hardcore or rock or something, the Triple Fis were my go to IEM.

Nov 6, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #29 of 74
I think it's really a personal preference. TF10s w/ lune cable were my first top tier headphones and the um3x my second. I sold my um3x after 2 weeks of listening because I couldn't stand the forward mid and the closet soundstage. My 3rd pair of top tier phones were the IE8s and while there was a slight veil over them, I preferred them over the TF10s. Then I owned and sold about 10 pairs of top tiers (not gonna list it) and none of which were significant upgrades, rather sidegrades to the TF10s. Being the first pair of serious headphones I have heard, TF10s made teh strongest impression on me. 

With the lune cables, TF10s had the best bass and airiest treble to my ears and is still to be bested by another IEM to date. 

Nov 6, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #30 of 74

Quote:

Yeah I agree completely. Although I auditioned the UM3x in only a short while, I get the chance to A/B test them. For musicality, the TF10 has no competitors. It's a shame though, the TF10 has the worst ergonomics of all IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back