Which Beyerdynamic DT880 impedance to get?
Oct 8, 2010 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ey51

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I have a Yamaha RX-V793 receiver.
I have a set of Boss speakers for movies, and custom built speakers for music (both connected to the receiver).
I also use Sony MDR-V600 headphones via the receiver's front headphone exit.
My input is an ADI AD2000B sound card onboard an Asus P5Q Deluxe motherboard and I connect it to the receiver with an optical cable on the motherboard backpanel.
I listen to a blend of electronica/female vocals/instumentals. i'm not a bass head.

Now, I want to upgrade my headphones and thought the Beyerdynamics DT880 could be nice.
I don't know which of the versions to get, the 32Ohm, 250Ohm or the 600Ohm.
Preferably, at this point, I don't have the buck to also buy a dedicated headphones amp.
Which DT880 will be best? I'm assuming the speakers amp I have can power even the 600Ohm version, but then again, I'm a newbie, and I don't know much. Also, I heard a speakers amp such as the one I have will not compliment the higher impedance headphones as well as a specialized headphones amp. Is this accurate?
Any other thoughts or suggestions, different headphone recommendations?

Thank you

Oct 8, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 6
IMO both the 250 and 600 ohm version will work acceptably under those conditions. The 600 ohm version is way "better" and sounds more audiophile, the 250 ohm version sounds a bit more euphonic and has a bit more bass.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Ahem...though I disagree that the 600ohm is "way better", you might want to consider a higher ohm DT880 if you're running it out of your Yamaha.  I'm not sure what the output impedance is, but if it's typical of most integrated amps, the output impedance will be somewhere in the 100 - 300ohm range, which means you'll get a tad more bass out of the 250ohm compared to the 600ohm (at least you should in theory). 

I would stay away from the 32ohm if you're using your Yamaha receiver as an amp. 

Oct 10, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 6
The manual of the amp says the rated headphones jack output impedance is 390 ohm.
I'm not that big on bass.
I guess i should pick the 600 ohm version, then.
Thank you both for your advice

Oct 10, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
The manual of the amp says the rated headphones jack output impedance is 390 ohm.
I'm not that big on bass.
I guess i should pick the 600 ohm version, then.
Thank you both for your advice

If your AVR is rated for 390 ohms, then you should get the 250 ohm version.  Ypu might not have sufficient voltage to drive 600 ohms.

Oct 10, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
If your AVR is rated for 390 ohms, then you should get the 250 ohm version.  Ypu might not have sufficient voltage to drive 600 ohms.

I personally don't think the AVR will be a problem with the 600ohm DT880.  You will surely get a lift of about ~2-3dB around 100hz with the 250ohm.  If you like OP I can run some calculations to give you a better idea.

Edit:  I just read the manual for your receiver online.  I don't like the part where it says 0.5V output for the headphone jack.  I can say with certainty that that won't be enough juice for the volume you're looking at using without running into potential distortion or clipping. 

You're in a bit of a pickle I think because the high output impedance of your amp will cause a bass lift to lower impedance DT880s, but at the same time, won't be enough juice for the higher impedance ones. 

I've being using the Presonus HP4 4-channel headamp for over a year now and I love it, though it's a tad overkill in terms of volume.  I barely get past 20% power without going deaf.  It's as transparent as any other transparent amp I've ever used. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back