Which Are the Most UNcomfortable Cans on the Planet?
Jan 21, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #76 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely my first serious can in the 70’s, the Koss Pro 4AA, sweat like crazy and the weight would stop the blood circulating on the top of your head.

I love responding to old posts.
biggrin.gif
That the Pro4AAA (heretofore called "triple As") was considered an improvement in this regard, and knowing how much those triple As hurt my ears as a young teen (when they still worked well), that really says something about the tortureness of the double As.
smily_headphones1.gif

As a comparison, the Triple As probably weigh as much as two to three Grado SR325is due to their metal headbands and thick plastic construction.
biggrin.gif
AKA they make my other heaviest cans feel light.

Jan 21, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #77 of 109
I agree with the K701's. I'm sure they're better than the other headphones listed, but that middle pad on the top of the headband!!!

On another note, it would be nice if someone did grado mods purely to address comfort. Redesigning the headband / ear pads. The only difficulty would be making sure you don't compromise the SQ by angling the drivers wrong, etc.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:36 PM Post #78 of 109
wow. it's amazing how many votes have gone to grados.
unfortunately, my vote goes to grado as well.
even after softening the bowls on mine, they're still so damn uncomfortable...

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #80 of 109
Any Grado imo.
Never tried the HP1000 or PS-1, but found the SR80, SR125, SR225, SR325i, RS1 to be really uncomfortable. The GS1000 not quite up there, but not far behind either.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #81 of 109
To those bitching about Grados, if you wash the bowls a few times (and let them dry of course) they become very comfy. I've seen somebody suggest washing them with fabric softener.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #82 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To those bitching about Grados, if you wash the bowls a few times (and let them dry of course) they become very comfy. I've seen somebody suggest washing them with fabric softener.
biggrin.gif

i've done that, they're still excruciatingly uncomfortable.
mad.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #83 of 109
For me it was the Super.fi 3. They're worse than uncomfortable, they were unbearably painful after 10 minutes. Of the headphones I currently own, the Fostex T30 is the worst. It's not designed to fit a human head.

I've only tried Grados at meets and they're pretty bad too. It's all in the pads for the Grados because the one pair I tried that were comfortable had very soft, worn pads. They caused no discomfort at all.

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #84 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only tried Grados at meets and they're pretty bad too. It's all in the pads for the Grados because the one pair I tried that were comfortable had very soft, worn pads. They caused no discomfort at all.

not for me, as you say you have only tried them for a short period, after a few hours the top of your head feels as if you have bashed it on the corner of a sharp work surface, tender isnt the word, in fact i never really had any discomfort at the pads, just the bloody headband
frown.gif

the 325i were a dicotomy, as i think they were my favourite ever cans but just happened to be the most uncomfortable

the most comfy i own are the sony pfr-v1 ear speakers
wink.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #85 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not for me, as you say you have only tried them for a short period, after a few hours the top of your head feels as if you have bashed it on the corner of a sharp work surface, tender isnt the word, in fact i never really had any discomfort at the pads, just the bloody headband
frown.gif

the 325i were a dicotomy, as i think they were my favourite ever cans but just happened to be the most uncomfortable

the most comfy i own are the sony pfr-v1 ear speakers
wink.gif

replace the headband with a leather or lambskin band and it's much better, trust me. the only comfort issue i have is the damned bowls; my lambskin band is really comfortable.

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #88 of 109
You're all wrong. It's the Koss ESP6 - which is like an ESP9 or Pro4AA except much, much heavier.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #89 of 109
If you put up with the Grado pain for a while, the pads soften up. IEMs on the other hand abuse your ear canal constantly.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #90 of 109
Quote:

Originally Posted by moogoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you put up with the Grado pain for a while, the pads soften up. IEMs on the other hand abuse your ear canal constantly.
biggrin.gif

I second that. When I first got my 325is I found them uncomfortable, but now, months later, the foam on the bowls has softened and I can wear them for hours without discomfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back